Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Anyone watching the Giro?
  • tang
    Free Member

Been some fantastic racing. Today was excellent, looking forward to the mountain TT tomorrow.
    Bob Jungels has the best name in the peloton I reckon, and handy with it.

simondbarnes

Excellent stage today. Had to feel a bit for Atapuma getting caught so close to the finish.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Amador held on for as long as he could, great finish for him. Valvpiti didn’t want it, you could tell he’s saving it up for next week. Zakarin’s pulling it out from his bibshorts to stay up there, and good on him for that. MrKrys is playing a blinder and I have him in for a top 3, pulled it all back pretty much on his own with Chavez doing fewer turns than Valvpiti does. Shame Nieve couldn’t pull up there, he’s a cracking rider but today could be the start for next weeks Alps tour de force for him.

Stunning stage, unbelievable place to ride. Today was the crowning glory of the Giro IMO.

Tomorrow will be an as is in the GC, each of them will be knackered, but I think Valvpiti will pull 30-40 secs back on Nibbs.

pete68
    Free Member

Didn’t see it unfortunately. I’m riding the passo di giau in the summer so was hoping to get a preview!

TheDoctor
    Free Member

The Giro has always been the best grand tour, and this years had some amazing racing so far in stunning landscapes!

tang
    Free Member

I love Italy. It’s responsible for me, as a child, falling in love with road cycling. We were lucky enough to spend some summers in the hills above Como.

ratherbeintobago

Such a piti that Valverde lost time today. ’Altitiude problems’ apparently.

SaxonRider

I so want to watch, but I can’t convince my family to let me subscribe to YET ANOTHER INDIVIDUAL SPORTS CHANNEL just so I, personally, can watch a single event. Consequently, I am stuck trying to watch free streams in Basque, or whatever else I can get my hands on.

Very frustrating.

ratherbeintobago

Consequently, I am stuck trying to watch free streams in Basque

Things being in obscure languages doesn’t stop the spawn watching them on Youtube. I swear I caught the small one watching Peppa Pig in Serbo-Croat the other day.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Saxon, you can subscribe monthly though so you’d be paying around a fiver for 1 event that is 3 weeks long?

I get it for the cycling but usually end up signing up for the 12 months package as the off-season is so short, and as it works out less per month I’m getting winter sports for pennies.

Eurosport £5 a month. Not having to listen to Phil and Paul during the Tour, priceless.

butcher

Not been watching loads of the Giro this year. Few highlights here and there, but today’s stage was a good one.

chakaping
    Free Member

Last two stages have been tremendous.

Another member of the bob jungels fan club here.

Intrigued to see how it shapes up next week, so unpredictable.

slowoldman

Great stage. I can’t help thinking there were some strange tactics going on at Movistar

bikebouy
    Free Member

Todays stage should be interesting, 10k and 1800mtr climb with the twists and turns coming just over halfway in with a nasty ramp 3/4’s of the way into the stage.

With all the faves pacing themselves except Bala, it could be one for the pure climbers without GC contentions. I’m going to plug for one of the small Italian Teams BCSF, Nippo or Willier. Each of these teams have performed really well considering the might of the Leading contenders, but this is a pure climbing stage and it’ll be hard for one of the leaders to let a climbing domestique loose to blow up and be no use next week.

Should be fun to watch.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Was quite impressed with Nibali yesterday. Ok he got dropped but he did go on the attack, then managed to peg the gap with a tough solo effort. Be interesting to see how he goes today given that effort. Great days racing.

Reckon it’ll be a GC rider for the win today.

hammerite
    Free Member

I think someone like Nieve will do well today. He won on Friday so has good form, but lost time yesterday, possibly saving himself a little after being dropped from the main group (I’m guessing the dropped bit as I only saw until 40k to go).

Saxon – don’t consult the family, tv subscriptions are a dictatorship in our household, seeing as I pay!

atlaz
    Free Member

Bob Jungels has the best name in the peloton I reckon, and handy with it.

Seems like a nice lad too. Bearing in mind he’s been one of the most famous faces in Luxembourg since his late teens, and he’s pretty wealthy for a 20-odd year old, he seems fairly comfortable with it all and hasn’t let it go to his head. Interesting conversion from 1-day rider to stage races though, wouldn’t have thought he’d have done that.

Super impressed by Chaves again. Another young chap with a bright future, particularly if Greenedge can manage to build a slightly better GC team.

atlaz
    Free Member

Handful of Russians you’ve never heard of from Gazprom at the front of the mountain TT. Nothing dodgy there.

Spin
    Free Member

Handful of Russians you’ve never heard of from Gazprom at the front of the mountain TT. Nothing dodgy there.

Move along, there’s nothing to see here…

legend
    Free Member

Seems legit

mrblobby
    Free Member

Blimey, bit of a disaster for Nibali. Kruijswijk’s Giro to lose now with over two minutes to play with.

atlaz
    Free Member

And don’t forget Ilnur Zakarin; the coming man after doping as a junior/neopro but everyone is amazed at his sudden development whilst at Katusha… 🙄

mrblobby
    Free Member

everyone is amazed at his sudden development.

Are they? Doping rumours aside, he’s been improving steadily for a few years now.

Spin
    Free Member
    atlaz
    Free Member

Blimey, bit of a disaster for Nibali. Kruijswijk’s Giro to lose now with over two minutes to play with.

One bad day in the mountains and he can lose that. Can’t say I’m sad to see Nibali and Valverde down on the GC. I’d be happy with either of the first two winning.

mintimperial

Hmm. 😐

Completely unrelated, honest: I keep misreading the branding on all those Mediolanum banners littering the parcours as Meldonium…

atlaz
    Free Member

Are they? Doping rumours aside, he’s been improving steadily for a few years now.

Sort of, a break out 2015 but before then not much of note against serious competition.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Steven 😯

I just hope TLJ can support him to the end, they’re a good team but have had a hard time keeping up with him in this Giro..

Epic ride Steven.
    😀

tang
    Free Member

Sets things up for another great weeks racing.

atlaz
    Free Member

Jesus, Vino is looking more and more like a Bond villain every day.

“We are all here to support Vincenzo… who is leaving us next year probably… and has had an unexplained mechanical… muhahahahaha”

slowoldman

I doubt a mechanical like that could be “planned”. Bit of a shame really, I prefer to see performance decide the outcome. Kruijswijk is looking really good though.

Nice to see Valverde put time into Amador – I have a sneaky suspicion he was held back yesterday though he says not.

Oh and yes, Gazprom!! Who are those guys?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Gazprom = ex Rusvelo the feeder team for Katusha.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I keep misreading the branding on all those Mediolanum banners littering the parcours as Meldonium…

+1. Quite unfortunate.

Bit of a shame really, I prefer to see performance decide the outcome

all part of the racing, can happen to anyone, and Karma for attacking Froome last year just as he had a mechanical.

Only caught bits of it but interesting to see some of the “marginal gains” – Nibz number was printed onto his skinsuit, and Kruijswijk was the only rider I saw with aero/TT bars.

hammerite
    Free Member

Will we finally get a Dutchman delivering on his early career promise and actually win a Grand Tour?

8th overall 5 years ago, 2nd in the young riders in this race. He, Gesink and Mollema (lovely bloke!) really were expected to have trouble the Grand Tour jerseys before now.

hammerite
    Free Member

crashtestmonkey – there were a few with clip on bars, but not many.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Today’s stage looks like a corker. Bit of a chaotic start.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sean Kelly letting us know that Ulrika Green Hedge are working hard in the chase group 🙂

franki
    Free Member

Not watching other than highlights posted on Facebook.
    Wish ITV 4 would show it.
    I don’t watch much (hardly any) TV, so only have Freeview.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Oooof Nibali’s popped. Great stage this.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Good stage today, loads going on. Time gap reporting all over the place though!

Big crash for Zakarin on the descent, hope he’s ok, broken collarbone apparently.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Anyone watching the Giro?’ is closed to new replies.