Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Anyone watching Grand Designs?
  • IHN

I predict that it’s going to be a corker…

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Grand Dickheads?

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’m trying to but I keep getting distracted, seems a nice plot,

used to love it but KMc seems to grate a bit on me now though.

IHN

It’s not going to work…

allyharp

Is it a pre-requisite to being on the programme that one of the partners has to be pregnant?

IHN

Is it a pre-requisite to being on the programme that one of the partners has to be pregnant?

Normally the woman 😉

Pickers

KMc seems to grate a bit on me now though

Agreed.

Nick

uh oh, too high, opps

aP
    Free Member

I’ve had a real problem with “our Kev” for 3 or 4 years, but as I put on hora’s post within 60 seconds of the programme starting – “car crash”

freeman
    Free Member

I dont watch it, cant stand the phrase “the build” it really gets on my wick, much like the other phrase these arty farty designers use, “the wow factor”. Makes me want to throw something heavy at the tv!!! 😡

househusband

Nice plot… but bloke seems a bit gung-ho!

hora
    Free Member

True. Can’t the lasses just hold on ‘abit’ longer? Good observation.

Bloke- Gung-ho? 3ft higher? Cynical but did he amend the plans to allow more room? Why would the designers etcc **** up soo badly?

aP
    Free Member

Oy! hora – don’t blame the designers, look at the client.

NZCol

I think my architects have been watching this b astard programme too much and have adopted the concepts ni my house re-build. Irrespective of my budget !!

aP
    Free Member

Will there be an update when they discover that it doesn’t meet Building Regs?

Spongebob
    Free Member

I don’t think KM has ever done any building work in his life. He seems to quick to apportion blame to any party when things go wrong, or ridicule the programme’s participants for not having the same tastes as him.

It’s very easy to criticise a project when you aren’t financially committed and it must be quite annoying having him poking his nose in throughout the build. It would be much more useful if he imparted his advice to the participants at the beginning of the project, so the same old mistakes weren’t made! I HATE the stupid way that he explains stuff to the viewer, like we are al ignorant. I hope the programme maker pays these people enough to make putting up with him worthwhile!

He seems like a typical architect to me – always enthusing about doing things impractically and selecting very esoteric, expensive, but often unremakable meaterials. I suppose it is just for the sake of making a statement that only other architects and a handful of design snobs might appreciate. Some of the owners have some bizarre ideas too. E.G. How many people would spend £1M on a house and choose polished concrete as a flooring solution? Or spend £1k on a particular style of kitchen mixer tap? Hey, no accounting for taste!!

However I love the show because I love building, creative design and learning about some of the issues of such projects.

aP
    Free Member

[cough] Our Kev is a lighting designer, please don’t tar us architects with being like him.
    He has also had a fairly well publicised “difference of opinion” on a project sponsored by him in the last 6 months.

NZCol

I don;t mind him but i prefer old Phil Whatsisface from Location Location – not smarmy but sarcastic enough without being a c0ck about it. And Kirsty phwoooar.

Sorry.

aP
    Free Member

NZCol – were you ever in Wu Tang Clan? 🙄

tang
    Free Member

my father in law is an architect and KM is his pet hate. a family rule is not to mention grand designs, i always do and sit back and enjoy the rant (puts stw to shame). he does watch every episode though. kevins pre ad cliffhangers followed by raised eyebrows are wearing a bit thin.

skidartist
    Free Member

Not withstanding the seemingly gung-ho approach, I was more struck by a narked neighbour that was somewhere in the background of the whole thing, while the builder was acting on verbal information from the council that wasn’t being followed up in writing, the neighbour was exploiting just that. I mean one neighbour holding the whole council to ransom with the threat of a judicial review, thats crazy.

I would understand if the guy had just fired ahead having ignored or exploited the planning process, or was playing silly games, but from his side he’d done everything that was expected of him and was acting in good faith. The invisible neighbour just seemed to be using strong arm tactics to heap on as much misery as the could. It appalls me that people have that sense of shadenfreuder (pardon my pidgin german).

aP
    Free Member

It’s telly, there’s a story, they don’t always tell you all of it.

timber

not surprised the timber needed trimming
    probably been down to 20% moisture content in America, then left in a shed over here where best he could hope for air dried is 30%
    having said that, always best to have too much, it don’t grow it back once it’s been chopped down

djglover
    Free Member

it was just a big shed on stilts, horrendous

Ambrose

And bright orange, like it had spent WAY too long in a tanning booth. And the waterwheel?

miketually
    Free Member

Was it January but the roof still wasn’t on?

I’ve not watched any of this new series. Am I missing anything?

oldgit
    Free Member

Could’nt pay attention as my lad was on the Turbos in the room.
    Though I did’nt like the build! too tall and orange, prefered the shed that was already there.

The interfering neighbour element really riled me. Kev should’ve taken the camera crew around so they could give their side of the story/be named and shamed.

Once all the planning permissions had been granted and the house was built, I would’ve tiled “fu*k you” into the side of the roof which faced the objecting neighbours property 😉

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Mike – maybe the programme made (shock) it look like the neighbour was being the baddy.

If I was the neighbour and the guy plonked a 100 feet tall orange building in the way of my view I might get a bit narked. And we only have his “word” that he spoke to the neighbour and got a verbal agreement, judging by him gawd knows what he actually showed them as a plan….

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Anyone watching Grand Designs?’ is closed to new replies.