Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Anyone want to ride offroad from the London to Brighton this Thursday?
  • psychle
    Free Member

Looks like it’ll be a lovely day this Thursday, I’m off, so reckon I might undertake this wee ride again (approx 135km or so)… takes around 8hrs or thereabouts (plus a lunch stop somewhere). Will be following the ‘Rough Ride Guide’ down the River Wey to Guildford then on to the Downs Link and finally the South Downs on to the coast. nothing technical or particularly challenging, just a nice long ride through the countryside, a lot of it on tow paths, old railway lines etc. Starting point is the London Eye, total distance will be around 135km or so (was 150km last time, but hopefully I’ll follow the right path on this attempt!)… will be at a fairly leisurely pace, just aiming to put some miles into the legs really…

Anyone free on Thursday and want to come along?

sputnik
    Free Member

What time were you thinking to set off?

psychle
    Free Member

Probably a reasonably early start (for me, anyhoo!), say 8am at the London Eye? Would aim to be in Brighton around 6pm-ish, back in London by 8pm depending on trains…

dharmstrong
    Free Member

Just as a heads up, no bikes on trains out of Brighton between 4pm and 7pm.

catfood
    Free Member

Done up the Wey and the Downs link before but not on the same day. Sounds like a bid day out that

Bazz

Would love to join you but with half term and my other half filling up the diary it’s a no go, i’ll keep an eye out for future runs though.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ooh, possibly, Psy, possibly….

So, that’s about 84 miles in real money. I’ve never rided more than 80 in one day.

Are there stations along the way in case of injuries/exhaustion/mechanicals/arguments?

Got any maps? Email me, eh?

cakerider

psychle – interested to know how you get on as a couple of us are planning to do the exact same route on Saturday

zbonty

Sounds like a good plan. Been looking to put in a long ride myself.
    Can’t take time off but enjoy!

psychle
    Free Member

quick bump for the evening crowd 🙂

piha
    Free Member

Are you still doing it?
    I could well be up for this if I can clear my desk and I don’t get any nasty surprises today. I’m in Guildford but would be able to hook up with you on the River Wey around the anchor pub at Pyrford Lock.

ericemel
    Free Member

I can’t do it this week – but what is the route…as I want to do it!!!

psychle
    Free Member

Are you still doing it?
    I could well be up for this if I can clear my desk and I don’t get any nasty surprises today. I’m in Guildford but would be able to hook up with you on the River Wey around the anchor pub at Pyrford Lock.

Might still be on, but may ‘just’ end up heading into the Surrey Hills instead… still trying to decide!

vinnyeh

Out of curiosity, where does the route run between the start and hitting the Downs Link?

psychle
    Free Member

Pretty much follows ‘cycle route # 4’ to Weybridge, then the Wey Navigation through to Guildford.

psychle
    Free Member

Right, this is on! 9am meet at the London Eye, I’ll be on a fairly recognisable bike, an Ibis Bow-ti; be there or be square… 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Can I be oblong?

psychle
    Free Member

you can be whatever you want to be guv, just be there 🙂

psychle
    Free Member

looks like it’s just you and I Elfin, see you at 9am 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

We’re SSing it! Hardcore! 😮

Right, best get an early night then instead of being up all night arguing with idiots on here…

kimbers

if this was last week id have been up for it

i expect a full ride report

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

Can’t do the ride, but I work by the London eye – never seen a bow-ti in the flesh. I might covertly walk past and secretly have a perv

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah best bring cam, innit?

Psy; you gots vid cam?

Probbly end up in Guildford A+E but there you go. 😐

psychle
    Free Member

I’ll bring a wee little camera, nae worries… as long as we drink enough we’ll be right, forecast is for 26c tomorrow! Don’t forget your sunnies 8)

psychle
    Free Member

quick bump just in case anyone at a loose end right now, looking for something to do today… 😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Let’s do it! 🙂

seanoevil
    Free Member

Awwww gutted – great weather today for it….enjoy!
    Shout up if another one gets arranged!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Good luck guys!

I’d have loved to have joined you from Guildford…. Maybe next time!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Why why why why why did I ever agree to do this?

My bottom is very hurty and I don’t feel very well. 😳 😥

cinnamon_girl

You’ve been quiet so assumed psychle had chucked you in the sea. 😉

Did you have fish and chips on the beach? Pebbles would have been awfully comfy!

Soak in the bath for you young man. 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

We’ll do a proper report tomorrow. I am absolutely exhausted; ridden over 100 miles in total today. I could barely stand up in the shower. No chance of having a bath; I woon’t have bin able to get out again. 😳

Had to ‘have a word’ with some cahs. Too traumatised to talk about it. 😥

cinnamon_girl

100 miles? Blimey!

Cahs? Nah, you would have terrified them with your Lahndun expletives. 😉

Sleep well. 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Sidney
    Free Member

Very interested in report – thinking of organising a ride for work!

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Guys I only just spotted this and quite fancy doi g it on my week off next week. Where is the route published?

andrewmoke
    Free Member

Any chance you can send the gps track to my email? Or publish the track in gpsies or so..Ta

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I think I’ll try this on Wednesday and thanks for the links, if anybody has the BHF more accurate maps I’d love em!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Anyone want to ride offroad from the London to Brighton this Thursday?’ is closed to new replies.