Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Anyone waiting for a Fuji X70? (or other small camera recommendations)
  • d45yth
    Free Member

Hi, long story short, I’ve just about sold my DSLR gear and am going to buy a camera I can easily take with me when biking.

Spec wise the Sony rx100iv comes out on top, but I think it’s too fiddly to use. A Lumix LX100 is what I’d have bought last week if I’d had the chance, but have now been reading about lots of dust ingress issues. The Canon G5x looked good, but poor RAW and a few other things that aren’t great.

I’ve also looked at a Fuji x100t (big) and Ricoh GRii before, but considered them too limiting – although that may not be a bad thing. So, now the Fuji X70 comes out next month, but it has no viewfinder which most others I’ve mentioned have!

To be honest, most of my images will just end up on social media and will rarely be printed. Also, I do take wider, landscape type photos rather than bike action shots.

Anyway, I’ll end up spending the money on something else if I don’t hurry up and make my mind up. I’m thinking give the X70 a go if I can get it before I go on holiday in March, then I could easily change it for something with a zoom lens if I don’t get on with it once I’m back.

Sorry for wittering on, but has anyone any thoughts?

ampthill

Just to say look at tz100 as well. Not in the shops yet but its another version of the compromise

I keep thinking I’ll get something like this here are my thought

X70 and GRii only really make sense if you need mega IQ. Either printing big or lots of dynamic range from RAW.

My current thought is RX100. The handling may not be greqt but at least it will be cheap

The other thing to consider is the Panasonic GM5. But deciding what lens then adds more frustration. But the 14mm f2.5 makes it a GR. Have a 45mm f1.8 in your pocket for portrait potential/distant views

i think cameralabs does a good job looking at these cameras

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

My current thought is RX100. The handling may not be greqt but at least it will be cheap

not at £750 for a mkIV…

The G5X seems pretty good apart from softish at 24 apparently and slow fps in raw, otherwise it looks good and from the reviews there is no wimmer between it and the sony for IQ – some reviews have the Sony but several put the canon better.

these seem to be the better of the reviews I found on youtube :

sony rx100IV

quote : “the handling of this camera sucks – really, it sucks”

G7x vs Sony RX100 III :

pansonic TZ100 :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTTbWzYZZ-xxQecXddaqQ1w

darrell
    Free Member

Olympus digital Pen F

a tad expensive mind but bl00dy lovely

failedengineer

Anyone any thoughts on the Olympus Stylus 1s?

ampthill

ot at £750 for a mkIV…

But surely a RX100 IV isn’t a RX100 it’s a R100 IV :wink:. I mean the cheap one

I’m resolved to finding out

1. How bad the Canon’s are in RAW. mainly shot to shot times single shot

2. What is considered a good custom control set up on the RX100

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

2. What is considered a good custom control set up on the RX100

not sure there is one, I keep coming across posts from seemingly experienced photographers that have got rid of their RX100s.

That review I linked to reckoned the Sony was for geeks and the Canon for photographers, so I think one camp will be happy with the Sony and put up with handling issues in exchange for features and so not the Canon, and via versa, or degrees of.

Resale on the Sony is sure to be a lot better though, if you get one and find it is a mistake for you.

The G5x felt immediately good and natural when I handled it though.

d45yth
    Free Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I’d started to write replies to what’s been suggested, but have got sidetracked reading up on some of those, as well as some other options!

ampthill

Played with a G5x and Rx100 today

The G9x felt amazing and the view finder is great. Couldn’t test RAW right speed as I didn’t have a card

Rx100 felt way better than I expected. I could change iso and aperture very quickly given I had no idea how to do it. I also turned the flash off. I failed to check how to change exposure compensation

On the shelf at £250 in John Lewis. Felt like a bargain. I need to some reading up. But for an object that will be abused by my cheapness is crucial
    My current compact has a dog tooth through mark through the screen

TheFopster
    Free Member

I bought a Fuji X30. Not too expensive, really nice to use imo and smaller sensor is fine for my needs – won’t be printing poster size. Just a thought but if you’re looking in JL I think they stock it. I bought from digitalrev- cheaper than UK vendors.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Played with a G5x and Rx100 today

The G9x felt amazing and the view finder is great. Couldn’t test RAW right speed as I didn’t have a card

did you mean the G5x or did you try the G9x?

Bez

X70 and GRii only really make sense if you need mega IQ.

No, they make excellent sense if you want outstanding ergonomics and usability. I can’t speak for Fujis (though they look very good in terms of handling, and the X70’s control layout looks somewhat familiar to a Ricoh user) but I’ve had many Ricohs and they’ve been by far the best-handling digital cameras I’ve ever set fingers on. Other compact cameras just frustrate me.

dobo
    Free Member

op, just so you know all non sealed cameras can have dust issues, the rx100 and also the ricoh gr are both known to be susceptible to this as well.
    ergonomics and control of the ricoh gr are great and the image quality is great too, so why doesnt everyone rush out and get one? well its only only a 28mm equivalent lens which is a tricky focal length and limits its use. its also only f2.8 but its an apsc sensor so still pretty good in low light. It also has in camera crop modes for 35mm and 47mm which are better than expected and you can toggle them on the fly (you could crop them in post but automatic in camera for composition is nice)
    no one camera ticks all the boxes.

ampthill

Oops G5x with a viewfinder

Rik
    Free Member

If you want a bit of a bargain I’m thinking of selling my Ricoh GR (16mp apsc version) with 21mm wide angle converter and filter adaptor all boxed with original papers.

Image quality is stunning and has a very handy 35/50mm crop mode too, I just don’t use it as often biking now I have a Mindshift 180 bag for biking to take my Fuji X-T1 with me.

d45yth
    Free Member

Lots of interesting points! Dobo has hit the nail on the head with the ‘no camera ticks all the boxes comment’. I’ve decided I definitely want a zoom lens, and nearly decided against a compact too – BUT, I’ve got to remember why I sold my DSLR in the first place.

I think I’m going to give the LX100 a go after all, just making sure a I buy from somewhere that will sort any problems out quickly. I’d been going to get a grey import for about £350, but I guess the saving’s not worth it. The shop price still leaves enough in my budget for some decent accessories anyway, speaking of which: do many of you bother with very lightweight tripods (when biking)?

Rik – I might have been interested, but the reasons I like the camera seem to be for use outside of what I’m looking for.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

From browsing around and trying to resist buying a small camera the LX100 seems to have a pretty high satisfaction rating amongst its users.

The G7x and G5X vs sony RX100 thing is hard to figure out, certainly in terms of lens sharpness. Some users/reviews have the canon as soft everywhere, and other show it sharp virtually everywhere but wide.

Either the Canon or the Sony must have sample variance and comments seem to suggest that it might be the sony – and the sony is made in china whereas the canon is japan, for what it is worth…

Shame Pana were doing some money off cameras until a week or so ago 🙁

ampthill

OK done a bit more research on these cameras

RX100

To move the AF point tell it in a menu that you want to choose your own AF point. Then when you hit the centre of the 4 way controller you can use the 4 way controller to move the AF point

This gus has created custom Colour profiles for the Sony.

http://www.piraccini.net/2011/02/profili-colore-sony-a900-per-adobe-lr.html

This is great as I hate not being able to use creative profile in Lightroom with my XZ-1

Canon G7x

RAW right times here

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-g7x/canon-g7xA6.HTM

and opinion here

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3836609#forum-post-55714805

But basically for the single shot use the Canon’s seem fine

ampthill

oops double post

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

the dpreview opinion might be a bit suspect – in the discussion forums occasionally some of the comments imply they are wary of contradicting dpreviews opinion…

Just don’t hold that Sony up near your face for too long as it emits a fair amount of radiation (or not) :

Man Claims the Sony RX100 III Has Dangerous Levels of Radiation, Is Quickly Shot Down

d45yth
    Free Member

I went and checked a few cameras out this afternoon – I wanted to like the G5x, as the flip-out screen would be handy when using a gorillapod, but I found the buttons fiddly and the evf eyepiece makes it chunkier than the LX100.
    The handling of the LX100 felt spot on, and after looking at the 4k photo mode, was sold… as I think that will be good on group rides. 😀

ampthill

Let us know how you get on

stumpy01

d45yth – Member

I went and checked a few cameras out this afternoon – I wanted to like the G5x, as the flip-out screen would be handy when using a gorillapod, but I found the buttons fiddly and the evf eyepiece makes it chunkier than the LX100.
    The handling of the LX100 felt spot on,

This is why it’s so important to try cameras out if you can and see how they suit your personal tastes & requirements. No point going for ‘the best’ if you can’t stand using it.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Anyone waiting for a Fuji X70? (or other small camera recommendations)’ is closed to new replies.