• This topic has 65 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by jimw.
Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Anyone waiting for a 2013 Canyon delivery?
  • pitchpro2011
    Free Member

you pay the extra with specialized trek ect because they build the bike and set it up profesionally then make sure its ready for the customer. there is no quality control with canyon. i love the bikes im put of by how much trouble people have with them after. a friend of mine bought one and had to bleed the breaks, tighten the spokes, gears were sticking then rear mech pulled off within months. all of his problems i think were caused by poor setup.

toyrobot
    Free Member

Shock sent to mojo for inspection. Officially, it’s buggered. New shock back within 36 hours BUT not the same shock. Oh no, an upgraded Kashima coated one. So I’m happy with that.

weeksy

Good result that.

toyrobot
    Free Member

Agreed

andyl46
    Free Member

Grand Canyon CF SLX arrived, dismantled, rebuilt, then photographed to within an inch of its life. First impressions are oh my blimmin gawd, thats light, stiff and accelerates like a rocket.

Photos here, if you’re really bored!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151174221760885.449225.688880884&type=1&l=f3c67aab7e

DT78
    Free Member

Very nice I’m still weighing up if risking divorce is worth it for the 9.9SL….

andyl46
    Free Member

The 9.9SL is rather lovely, I bought the 8.9 and put on wheels (Crests on Superstar hubs), an X.0 drivetrain (ebay) and Easton carbon bars, seatpost and alu stem with a spesh saddle and dropped a kilo off the 8.9’s weight for about £700. I just hope the SID’s will be a nice fork, still very much need bedded in and the pressures sorted yet. I reckon that leaves me with about 800 notes in my back pocket, though the full XTR on the 9.9SL would be nice!

The LTD, with the Tune components is a bit mental…

carrozray
    Free Member

My Strive AL Race arrived last week. All bits present but now packed away until the snow has gone.

c_klein87

seems an odd question but would the frame on the slx 8.9 be the same slx 9.9? as the frame only price is only 250 more than the complete bike….I am aware a few manufactures use different carbon types and lay up on the same looking frame, depending on models

DT78
    Free Member

Dunno. The rose carbon 29ers have a different carbon layup as the higher end ones are 300g lighter than the lower end ones. Seen no mention of it for the canyons though so I assume the frames are identical

@andy I was thinking the same about swapping some bits I have on to the cheaper version. Main thing that is putting me off is the brakes are internally cabled aren’t they? Really don’t like avids especially not the cheaper end had nightmares with juicy3s.

I would have thought the SIDs would be fine, I’ve been using the 26 version for a couple of years on my anthem and they’ve been faultless.

And yes the LTD is lovely. But that is definitely a divorce.

andyl46
    Free Member

Brakes are routed externally, under the downtube. Gears are internally routed, and I’ve already had to replace the cables, so I know they aren’t too hard to replace either. And they look pretty good to boot. The newer elixirs are supposed to be somewhat better than older Avids. I must say the elixir 5’s feel just fine, was bedding them in last night and good feel and power was impressive with a 180mm rotor up front, and a 160 on the back locked the rear on tarmac, so lots of power available.

I’d say all the frames are the same. The weights quoted change by pretty much what you’d expect from the wheel and component differences. The wheels are where big weight changes can be made on the base model, the Crossmax SLR’s on the 9.9 look good, but I’m a Stans No tubes fan for use of standard tyres tubelessly (finally got the Race Sport Continentals to hold air too!). Though I agree, it makes the frame only pricing, well, ludicrous!

DT78
    Free Member

useful info Andy, thanks, hmmmm….

c_klein87

thanks andy, i may give them a call after xmas to confirm, silly I know but i’d like to know for sure, if there tell me! looks a great package, finally manufactures are putting handlebar stoppers on frames, makes so much sense

toyrobot
    Free Member

Thought I’d add my latest tuppence’s worth for anyone using forums to find info on Canyon’s Strive.
    So the shock issue was resolved by Mojo – a massive upgrade from a basic CTD float to a bells and whistles Kashima job. Very nice. Thank you Mojo.
    I’ve done a few miles on the Strive now and although the state of the sodden local hills means it’s still to be really pushed down hill I think I’ve seen enough to get the idea.
    Firstly, although a bit heavier than my old Meta5, the Canyon pedals noticeably better. This is probably more to do with the Climb mode on the shock and fork than any geometry of the bike but it I’ve enjoyed knowing I’m on a 160mm travel machine yet getting up hills easier.
    Fit / comfort / position just seems absolutely spot on from the word go. No fiddling with anything other than the cursory setting of brake and gear lever position was needed. I felt right at home straight away and having been out on rides of a few hours I can say it felt great.
    Suspension, as far as I’ve pushed it, feels smooth. I can’t say if the Kashima is noticeably better than the norm as the norm never worked. I think both front and back are smoothing out further with a bit of use.

If I get out and thump it down some hills soon I’ll let you know. So for now it’s a definite thumbs up for the bike itself but that’s not to ignore the issues with Canyon’s uk service itself.

Innes
    Free Member

I just got a Canyon Nerve AL+ and I am really happy with it. It also climbs well, the fox suspension seems very good so far, and I am really pleased with the whole bike.

It is a lot of bike for the money.

sharkattack

To add a sense of balance about the reliability of different manufacturers, i had a canyon on order and i cancelled it because the delivery date kept sliding backwards. I went and bought a similarly priced but much lower specced spesh stumpjumper at my LBS and the command post blew up within 5 miles on the first ride. Rode with a normal post while i waited 2 weeks for a replacement. Then at the 6 week point my rear shock blew up. It went to Mojo, who to be fair are brilliant to deal with, and it came back with custom valving which transformed the ride for the better. Oh and i’ve gone through 3 of those useless PF30 bottom brackets.

You can have bother with any bike from anyone.

I’m now thinking about a canyon torque because i want a DH bike and the spec is incredible for the price of a used demo 8 or V10

sharkattack

you pay the extra with specialized trek ect because they build the bike and set it up profesionally then make sure its ready for the customer. there is no quality control with canyon. i love the bikes im put of by how much trouble people have with them after. a friend of mine bought one and had to bleed the breaks, tighten the spokes, gears were sticking then rear mech pulled off within months. all of his problems i think were caused by poor setup.

this just isn’t true. the bikes from the bike manufacturers are still nailed together in a factory in Taiwan (Cambodia for a lot of new Specializeds) the difference is you just don’t get to see it because it’ll be taken care of by the shop mechanics before any customer ever gets their hands on it. chipped paint, bent hangers, loose spokes, etc etc etc…i’ve seen some shocking bikes come out of the box, at all price and spec levels, and they either get fixed or sent straight back.

the “extra” you’re paying for is the continued existence shop itself. 40% margin on a Trek or a Specialized which pays the sales staff wages and the mechanics who iron out the faults and make sure you ride away on a safe bike.

you certainly aren’t paying all that money for better “quality control” from the manfacturers’ end

Innes
    Free Member

My Canyon was very well packed and very well put together.

Because they post all their bikes they probably have covered most packing issues.

pinkfish
    Free Member

Yep, ordered a road bike in Dec, a week before delivery, told it be delivered but Canyon would not give me a new delivery date. Now hearing, after a 4 weeks, it will another two months. Add to this the email excuse for service offered no apology, was rude and really arrogant. Tried to phone, no answer and not one call has been returned. God knows what will happen if the bike has faults.

I know these people are cheap but I am seriously considering cancelling the order.

What do others think ?

DT78
    Free Member

I was messed about a bit last year when buying my road bike so I cancelled and went with rosé in the end.

Roses mountain bikes are fugly though…

pinkfish
    Free Member

They claim they improved their service but i don’t see it – it looks like they just want your money and don’t care about service/customers. I have been quite shocked in with my dealings with them – unbelievably arrogant.

I do wonder what others have experienced!

BoardinBob

Ordered mine and it was delivered in a week. Seriously impressed with the bike. Helitaped at the factory, really good cable routing solutions with the frame protected in potential rub spots. Amazing value for money

timidwheeler
    Free Member

Am still waiting for mine. I must agree about rude and arrogant emails. No need for it at all.

mrelectric

Well, I’ve posted about my mixed but overall positive experience and generally recommend them. Canyon UK post on this forum and hopefully will address all the issues.

pinkfish
    Free Member

The bikes are good value. The issue is when things go wrong and you need to deal with their service team.

jimw
    Free Member

My Nerve 29er arrived a week earlier than stated, well packaged. Now been used for a few weeks and I am very pleased with it. Have not needed to contact Canyon so can’t comment on aftersales service.

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Anyone waiting for a 2013 Canyon delivery?’ is closed to new replies.