Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Anyone volunteer?
  • whattyre
    Free Member

I fancy giving something back….what’s a worthwhile cause? What does everyone else get upto…I was thinking about the emergency response folk who go to earthquakes etc..

tang
    Free Member

We started a Jungle hospital/school in a poor and very remote part of India. We have family connections there. I also do 1/2 a day in a local charity shop. I’m self employed so I thought I ought to do something other than sit on STW ride bikes in my flexible time. Do it I’d say, small charity sector is struggling a bit right now and can always use experience not just cash.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve rattled tins for RDA, RAFBF, RNLI and RBL in my time, all causes dear to my heart. I wish I had more time to give to them, but sadly not always easy. If I lived by the coast, I’d be signed up to the RNLI pronto speedy.

beckykirk43
    Free Member

I do. Nothing exciting though.

Help out with the audit department at the local hospital. They get someone to do the boring leg work so they can do more important things, and it looks good on my CV. I feel like I get a lot out of it (i.e. working with different teams of people is improving my confidence, learning about medical records etc.)

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

As soon as my broken bones are ok to ride on then I will be putting myself forward to courier blood by bike, Gratis!

Have done fundraising before but I prefer practical hands on and get out there.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Did lots in the past – CAB, Sams, adult numeracy.

There’s tons of choice, find what motivates you.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Cfh, Rnli because the top 5 fheads don’t earn enough as it is…!
    Thumbs up to the ground workers mind.

highclimber
    Free Member

I jjoined the local Mountain rescue team last month.

druidh
    Free Member

I used to be a Volunteer Ranger for the local regional park, but I fell out with them over some access restrictions 🙂

I’ve been close to doing some more stuff – leading walks, outdoorsy things, but I tend to get frustrated by the, usually quite poor, communications and organisation. Maybe I’m just expecting too much from a mostly volunteer workforce.

leffeboy

I was thinking about the emergency response folk who go to earthquakes etc..

Worth doing but not so easy to get in to anymore. Immediate response tends to go to the big boys who have to cash to get in immediately and the big funding agencies tend to not like having to many small people on the ground afterwards. However it’s still worth pursuing and tenacity counts for a lot 🙂

Try taking a look here for starters http://www.redr.org.uk/en/redr_services/becoming-an-aid-worker/
    I did a security course with them a while back and it was pretty good

Trekster

Hoping our fledgling trail building volunteer group continues into the new year 😆

Helped start and run my kids school swimming club for 20yrs or so
    Helped start local special needs swimming club
    Through all of that helped out with special needs swimming classes for a number of schools
    Helped start a go-ride club
    Bikeability instructor for a school cluster

Due to various health issues, parents health issues, I have had to take a step back from it al this year 🙄

whattyre
    Free Member

Cool,I did think about the lifeboats..got a cousin who does it and loves it..

Mountain rescue is one i didn’t think of…

Ta all

spandex_bob

Right before popping in here I was perusing warmshowers.org; not sure this counts as charity but strikes me as a good direct (rather than financial) way of helping out. Anyone with good / bad experiences to share?

luke
    Free Member

I do several roles within scouting at local, district and county level.
    Local SAR
    Crisis at Christmas.
    I’d like to do more especially with homeless or those with learning disabilities.

whattyre
    Free Member

Every crimbo I feel like I should do a shift in a homeless shelter…it’s got to be a hellish time for homeless folk..

somouk
    Free Member

I volunteer and work with the local cadet units a lot. Surprisingly good fun most of the time but a lot of hoop jumping and admin.

Mountain Rescue is something I’m also considering when I’ve stopped traveling so much for work.

speshspenner
    Free Member

I maintain the village playground, cut the grass, grease the swings etc. I’ve just joined the local parish council as well…..but that’s just because I’m a nosey bugger!.

Northwind

I do but it’s all bike-related so doesn’t really seem to count- I like doing it! Digging oles and waving flags.

TimothyD
    Free Member

I’ve been volunteering for my local Wildlife Trust for the past couple of years, for experience for my CV as much as anything else. I’ve generally found it satisfying, and i’ve learnt a lot, it’s been quite good for my people skills.

Innes
    Free Member

I am a Scout leader, run a school Unicycle club and I am a church Elder.

I didn’t plan any of them, I just seemed to be there when someone was needed, I have been doing the three of them for a few years now, it just becomes part of what you do.

Stoner
    Free Member

Somehow I ended up coaching the local U6 tag rugby squad. I reckon I was dozing at the time they were asking.

It’s a mixture of fun and frustration. With a fair dose of “people are relying on me now so I cant just **** off and go for a ride on a sunday morning anymore”

But….

Since Stoners’ Jr 1 & 2 will be playing at the club for the next 7 years requiring parental attendance I might as well do something to join in unlike some of the other fathers who stand on the touch line getting frozen every Sunday morning….

satchm00
    Free Member

I’m a Special Constable, varied work with amazing people. I do my bit to prevent harm in the community.

Nothing better than catching burglars. Its not all fun and games, some nights are boring. Sometimes you question your own sanity for doing it… You certainly see the worst in human nature.

8 years service so far, still enjoy it.

Philby

I have done lots over the years.

Have been Chair of the trustee board for a Citizens Advice Bureau for over 8 years, and am also a trustee of a Council for Voluntary Service (a local umbrella body providing support to small voluntary sector organisations). I was also a trustee and Chair of the trustee board of an organisation providing accommodation and training for young people at risk of homelessness.

Also have provided marketing training to young people looking at setting up a business as part of a Prince’s Trust programme for the last 4.5 years, which provides a great deal of satisfaction.

Many years ago I also used to do voluntary work with Oxfam and with a local Greenpeace group.

Anyone thinking about volunteering should try it – contact your local Volunteer Centre for vacancies.

mrsflash
    Free Member

yup, I help man a helpline, usually 2 x 24hr periods a month.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

I do stuff for UK Youth…

2 weeks in the summer to help do the Big Bike Bash (tickets on sale now 😉 ) and raise cash by doing mountain mayhem in a sumo suit!

This year the BBB raised about £11k and team sumo £1500.

And it all goes to the kids!

passtherizla
    Free Member

I started a skateboard club in Sutton Coldfield at Clifton Youth centre, used to build ramps with donated wood from local business and teach the younger kids to skate… this was going still up until just last year when Wyndley Leisure centre said they were building a concrete facility (which has turned out properly shit) all the old ramps went on a big bonfire apparently… I have also volunteered at leisure centres during School Holidays. I’d love to get something else started.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Anyone volunteer?’ is closed to new replies.