• This topic has 89 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by ossie.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Anyone Velo Birminghaming on Sunday?
  • IHN

Anyone?

I think I’ve done enough training, although it’s a hillier route than I realised. I think it’s going to be a toughish day out, especially compared to RideLondon (my only other 100 milers)

Please don’t rain, please don’t rain…

Toasty

Yeah, setting off in a fairly late pack (sadly):

Start Time: 08:40
    Wave Number: C3

Also slightly concerned about the hills and potential rain! I was out on Saturday in the rain and my MucOff dry lube stuff washed off after an hour or so, might need a better plan.

IHN

My start time is 7:45 (I think).

I’ve got dry lube on too, if the weather looks rubbish it’ll be getting wet lube’d beforehand

lunge

Yep, I’m in a late group, 8:50 I think, look for the tall, thin bloke with a beard riding a black Sensa.

I have done virtually no training and haven’t ridden more than 30 miles in 1 ride since May. This is mainly as I’m doing the Brum Marathon in 4 weeks and have prioritised that. The hope is that my fitness is as good as it’s ever been and that this will drag me through, we shall see…

disco_stu
    Free Member

Yes, luckily I’ve got a 7.35 start time. Hoping to average 16-17mph though I tend to get pain on the outside of my right knee at around 60 miles, if it flares up then the last 1/3rd might be a bit grim.

IHN

I tend to get pain on the outside of my right knee at around 60 miles, if it flares up then the last 1/3rd might be a bit grim.

especially as the main climb is at mile 85 apparently 😐

lunge

especially as the main climb is at mile 85 apparently

The main climb is really not too bad at all. I can do it in 7 mins or so and I’m no climber. It has the odd steep bit within that but nothing overly nasty at all.

Houns

Nope, but may take advantage of the closed roads

Haze

The hills really aren’t that bad, drags at best.

The worst were taken out when they changed the route.

pondo

Not doing it but it goes past our house so I’ll give you all a wave (from inside, if it’s raining 🙂 ). Think you go past us early* so if you’ve forgotten tubes/levers/co2/water etc, shout on here and if I can I’ll dig something out. 🙂

* That’s if the route goes clockwise – let me know if it’s anti-clockwise, I’ll set up a mile 95 STW tea and cake stop! 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

although it’s a hillier route than I realised

a lot of people are going to get caught by this, St Kenelms pass at 86 miles is a bit cruel!

we’ve had customers buy bikes last week who are doing it and have told us “i’ve not ridden a bike for 20 years”

shadowrider
    Free Member

I’m doing it, I had a new hip 18 weeks ago, I think I might struggle. I’ve never thought St Kenelms pass was too difficult but it might bite a lot of people due to it being towards the end. My start time is 8.35.

MrTall
    Free Member

I’m doing it, start time of 7:30am.

I’ve done some training but know I’ll struggle in the last 30 miles, especially with the client climb at 85 miles. I went up there last month and it was fine but it’ll be very different with 80+ miles in my legs by then.

I think the climbing will catch out a lot of people. I did the Ride London in August but this is roughly double the climbing. The route guide says the route from Droitwich to Clent is mostly flat and I can assure you that it most certainly is not, there are at least 3 climbs in between that will test out tired legs and various ‘lumpy’ bits.

Stil looking forward to it, mostly just for the closed road novelty, even though a lot of the route is on my doorstep that I ride regularly anyway.

donkeydave

I am in and trust me the climb is not that bad maybe after 85 miles it might be!.
    Ribble are helping out on the climb with some surprise things not sure what these are.
    I am of at 8.00 and riding for charity should anyone wish to give a few quid towards Birmingham hospital cancer patients.

http://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/davidparry14

donkeydave

I should add I am really looking forward to it I know what pace I could set but just want to enjoy the day and the closed roads, training has gone well with a few 80 mile days under my belt so should be fine I think 😳

lunge

When I entered I was 100% a cyclist, that was all I did and so I was looking forward to a good summer of riding, racking up the miles and then going for a fast 100 milers on closed roads.

Fast forward a year or so and I appear to have turned into a runner who cycles a bit. Last week I ran three 5k’s and one 22k…I commuted in to work once (25 miles round trip) and did a bash on the turbo for 30 mins. My longest ride this year was a 70 miler in April.

I never thought I’d be nervous about a 100 mile ride but this time I am. And I’m not sure the 20 mile run I have planned on Friday will help either.

IHN

If anyone’s looking for a place, my other half can’t make it so her spot is going begging (too late for a refund now). You’ll just have to pretend to be my wife 🙂

bonesetter
    Free Member

Seems a lot of folk have their nose out of joint over this

Local businesses (who will have to stay closed), residents who need to get to work etc

Questions being asked over route choice (bottlenecks eg tigh turning left into Toys Lane Colley Gate)

And then the traffic disruption

Haze

Not happy in Bobbington, but they rarely are…forever moaning about the local club run passing through for a couple of minutes three times a week.

Farmer often brings his tractor out to disrupt TT’s that happen nearby and ignored a marshals flag when the South Staffs RR went through.

Hope all goes well.

Burger

I’m in. Number 12303, riding a white and black Planet X, starting at 8:35.
    Done plenty of miles this year, just not in one long ride (yet). Really looking forward to the closed road aspect and the idea at least of having lots of like minded riders around. Fingers well and truly crossed for a dry day and a chilled vibe.

IHN

Fingers well and truly crossed for a dry day

Amen brother.

I’m off at 7:45, on a Ritchey Road Logic if anyone wants to say hi.

Any recommendations for somewhere decent to eat in Brum on Saturday evening? Will be going into the NIA to register at six-ish and then out to find some grub.

daver27
    Free Member

I’m doing it with 2 mates, route looks fairly gentle and there are plenty of feed stops by the looks of it. should be fun

lunge

Brum food assuming you don’t want posh, JuJu’s cafe is close to the NIA and very good. Or Nosh&Quaff and/or Pure Bar on Colemore Row.
    In fact, just google Independent Birmingham and go from there, loads of good places to go.

scruff
    Free Member

It was on the news last night, people moaning about not being able to drive half a mile to get a newspaper.

IHN

Nosh&Quaff

“And the HipstaWanka award for Most Pretentious Catering Establishment Name goes to…”

I shall, however, google Independent Birmingham, thanks

Leigh2612
    Free Member

I’m in…number 86 rings a bell…
    Black)red propel

lunge

N&Q has a dodgy name but ignore that, the food is good value, plentiful and the beers good as well. Have the beef ribs, trust me.

shadowrider
    Free Member

Pop into Digbeth and go to Digbeth Dining Club, it’s got very good food and good beer.

jkomo

I only realised it was on last week.
    It goes passed my old primary school and home in Wolverley.
    As you go up the hill out of the village toward Sladd lane, try and picture a young Jkomo doing a frame stand coming down full speed on a chromo Ammaco bmx with lilac skyways.
    We had such a great childhood round there.
    Looks great guys, enjoy it!

singlespeedstu

There seems to be a fair amount of moaning about this going on in the local rag and on the local news. 🙄
    Local busy bodys claiming that all those cyclists won’t fit through the traffic calming in Kinver high street and it’ll be like Hillsborough. 😯
    **** idiots

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Local busy bodys claiming that all those cyclists won’t fit through the traffic calming in Kinver high street and it’ll be like Hillsborough.
    **** idiots

lol, yeh i read that….i think he thinks it’s actually starting in Kinver!!

not doing it, but should be out supporting SW of Wolves or possibly at the top of the climb from stourton to where it meets Greensforge lane,..that is a bit sharp and people may need some encouragement or the climb out of kinver, lol…good luck folks!

plan to do it next year if all goes well.

rOcKeTdOg

Going to the bike show, hopefully it’ll be quiet with 15,000 cyclists annoying people elsewhere 8)

mboy
    Free Member

I shall mostly be watching people go past from the Gardeners arms in Droitwich as it’s only 200yds from my shop.

It was on the news last night

Didn’t get to see it, was too busy, but I was in the background whilst they were filming the other day… Anyone know if I made it onto Midlands Today? 😆

rOcKeTdOg

Nice pint in there Mark

LMT
    Free Member

Cycle show! Good plan, and a gaming expo opposite, that’s Sunday sorted!

IHN

I shall mostly be watching people go past from the Gardeners arms in Droitwich as it’s only 200yds from my shop.

Well, look out for a couple of fellas, one on a Ritchey, one on a horrible plastic KTM thing 😉

Houns

Yes, a few people moaning, but I’ve been doing my bit to try and shut them up. Though was blocked from Bobbingtons parish council FB page (worth a visit if you’re that way inclined)

Take extra tubes as some hedges and verges have been cut over the last few days (whether done on purpose in time for the ride or not I don’t know)

Haze

Take extra tubes as some hedges and verges have been cut over the last few days (whether done on purpose in time for the ride or not I don’t know)

Noticed a few long standing pot holes have been repaired over the last few days, will probably be lost on the moaners as many of them won’t actually stray that far anyway.

infidel
    Free Member

I’m off at 7.20.

Its all essentially local roads to me and St Kenelms is a regular for me. Its not hard just a bit longer than people may expect and there is a little kicker at the top which might catch a few out. I think there will be a little shock for people when they come down from Romsley after the climb and then turn up Day House Bank – its short but steep and I’ll bet there will be many pushing up it! The route is otherwise a bit undulating. The runs south out of Bewdley and then from Droitwich to Belbroughton are beautiful and a bit undulating.

PS Some of the NIMBYS in Belbroughton are planning a protest with anti-velo banners. Sorry on behalf of the rest of the village. We don’t all feel this way,

My best up St Kenelms is 5.34 but I suspect I’ll be well off that tomorrow!!!!

Good luck all.

IHN

Some of the NIMBYS in Belbroughton are planning a protest with anti-velo banners

I shall be sure to give them a cheery wave and hello 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Anyone Velo Birminghaming on Sunday?’ is closed to new replies.