Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Anyone using Time pedals….
  • carlos
    Free Member

As I’m thinking of ditching the CB Mallets and getting some.

So had the Mallets 3yrs or so, done the rebuild thing more than once and the shafts are now a bit worn, hence looking at an alternative.

Don’t want Shimano
    Do want float, good sized platform and alloy

Questions are –
    Are they any good
    Can you rebuild them or do they just last (and for how long)
    Whats the warranty like, if you need it
    Go for Z Freeride or Z Srong

Thanks
    Carl

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’ve been using Time for well over 15 years. The new Attac pedals are lighter than their predecessors but they don’t last as long (I just replaced a pair of Aliums that I have been using for about 12 years!). I replaced the Alliums with the Attac Roc pedals which have a similar spring set up to the old Attacs so hopefully they will last longer than the newer Attacs which have worn out after two seasons of riding. The main problem is that the new mini springs are anchored to the resin body of the pedal which wears quite quickly which means the pedal starts to feel all rattly. Time do spare parts for their pedals but at the end of the day it is often cheaper to replace the whole pedal.

gibby

Been using the same Z freerides for 6 years with no problems whatsoever, with virtually no maintenance apart from a (very) occasional dab of grease to the bearings.

iainc

Time ROC Atac S on 3 bikes here – great kit, no need to service, last for yrs, just do the job, no clagging up with mud, kind on dodgy knees.

Crap with snow though…

Junkyard
    Free Member

last and last cant comment on the newer model as i dont have them

Replaced the bearing on one set after about 10 years cost me the best part of £3 and took about 15 mins.
    I have some strong or freeride if you want them older model

I have both and in all honesty I cannot tell you which is which is which in use or what the actual difference is by spec

You can pedal without your cleats but i would not want to go fa useful for a pootle with the kids but would not want to ride far – your feet slip of non platform time ones IME

EDIT: Never had any issue with snow or ice.. have had them pretty much caked in ice on the pedal. Still clipped in fine and my mates Shimanos were not working by this point so i looked at mine but they worked fine.

spacemonkey

I have some ATACs I’ve been using for probably 10yrs or so now. Great piece of kit. Rarely encounter any issues unless it’s truly claggy.

carlos
    Free Member

Good good. They seem/sound like a suitable replacement option.

Going to try the Freeride model and at half the price of the Mallet 3’s that leaves some ££ for new shoes too 😀

Thanks

charliedontsurf

Good, never worn a set out , been using them for 15 ish years and they like my knees, where shimano hurt my knees

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Time Freerides that I can sell if you want them? A few years old, but been in the garage most of that time. Can dig them out tomorrow and snap a few pics if you want?

mudmonster
    Free Member

Been using some ROC atak on my work bike for a few years now. Lasted really well. When they got a bit wobbly I just replaced the bushings from here.
    http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p120309/AM1014-16+Oilite+Plain+Bush+10x14x16mm/product_info.html
    The bearings were still fine.

pitduck
    Free Member

As above,mine are 12 years old and have changed bearings once and springs once 8)

jonnyrockymountain

I can’t believe people use Shimano and cb when there are pedals like time?

Andy

15 years use as well. Serviced 6 pairs (XS & Ti) in under an hour last week. Had bought bushings and bearings but only one pair needed new bearings, the rest just fresh grease. Restores my faith in MTB components 😀

khani
    Free Member

I love my Time pedals.. 😀 ‘take a lickin and keep on tickin’…

Restores my faith in MTB components

Amen….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I got my Mallets upgraded to the new 3’s at a good price. CB were doing an offer which is worth checking out. The new 3 should have sorted some of the previous bearing issues and the new design makes they easier to service. Seem to be going well so far.

MicArms

Just ordered a replacement set of Z freeride ( the cheaper version) from Evans , after my last pair where a bit hammered after 6 odd years of abuse. ( could have serviced them , but had some spare cash in the paypal account needing to be spent.)

Did the order and collect, when I pick them up, I find that the distributor RJ chicken had sent out the dearer Z strongs ( as an upgrade) with a sticker to that effect on the box.

The Strongs are a bit more cut away , and have a little screw to allow 3 cleat tensions too..Happy days!!
    I have time on all my MTBs , they do last forever.. got some 11 year Aliums on the commuter still going strong.

carlos
    Free Member

Junkyard/pleaderwilliams – going to get new, but thanks for the offer

Nice result on the upgrade

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, Time on mtbs here as well. Nothing else comes close.

kiwijohn

They tend to outlast bikes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

They tend to outlast bikes.

So true! 🙂

stufive
    Free Member

I Have time attac on both mountain bikes had no problems with them used them for years

carlphillips
    Free Member

went to time from cb mallets last year…no waaaaay would I go back.
    they feel positive like spd’s but floaty also, never had any unclipping issues and it help sort out my dodgy knees.
    would recommend. (time atac carbons here…2nd hand obviously though!)

pdV6
    Free Member

Have been using ATACs for 15-odd years.

The original (plastic) set just kept on going and going. had them 10+ years, moved between several bikes and they were still going strong when the bike they were on got nicked.

Also had ATAC Aliums and found those to be far more fragile; probably lasted about 2 years per set.

Currently running Roc ATACs for the past 6 months. No problems yet – hopefully a return to previous form.

timnwild

Had my Z freerides on for 5 years, barely touched them, never had any problems at all. Seem to remember a couple of trail guide types listing their bombproof gear on here a while back, and both said Time pedals as well.

Only problem I have is that I was keeping them loose for safety reasons, and now I can corner better and faster, I actually need to tighten the clips up to stop me unclipping.

But I love the Freerides.

MrGreedy

Have got a pair each of ATACs and Freerides, probably about ten years use between them and they’ve not needed any maintenance yet. They’re a bit heavier than some alternatives, and of course it’s not so easy to just have a go on your mates’ bikes if you haven’t all got SPDs, but they’re the only two disadvantages I’ve found.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using Time pedals….’ is closed to new replies.