Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone using SRAM and Shimano STI shifters on two different bikes?
  • RoterStern
    Free Member

If so do you have problems changing between them? It’s just that I’m going for a Spesh Crux for CX racing duties and the one in my price range is equipped with SRAM Force and I have only ever used Shimano on the road bike/CX until now.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

have done in the past; never really had any issue. Prefer the sram to shimano though, although the shape of the hoods isn’t perhaps as nice. Campag FTW though.

simondbarnes

I did for a while. My cross bike came with Apex. Fine on the road or pottering about offroad but hated it when I raced it as I kept ending up in the wrong gear. My cross bike is now shimano equipped.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

I did. You’ll occasionally have a messy gear change as you forget which bike you’re on but not an issue if you’re not racing…. Personally I ditched the sram for shimano.

RoterStern
    Free Member

This is what I am a little concerned about. The bike will be for racing and I am so used to Shimano changing gear is second nature. There is a cheaper Crux with 105 but with cable discs and the more expensive version is with Ultegra Di2 carbon wheels etc and it’s two grand more!

mauja
    Free Member

I have a cx bike with sram and road bike with Shimano, it’s not really a big problem after the first few minutes of riding but if buying again I’d be looking for both to be Shimano.

Out of interest are you looking at the new 2016 Crux? I’m interested in getting one but haven’t seen any UK prices yet or even details of which models will be available in the UK.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Out of interest are you looking at the new 2016 Crux? I’m interested in getting one but haven’t seen any UK prices yet or even details of which models will be available in the UK.

Yup. 2016 Crux. Don’t know about UK but I am based in Germany and the prices have already been released. Some of the colourways are a bit gash though. This example being one of the better ones.

Sundayjumper

Have you got weirdly triple jointed thumbs ? The release button is in totally the wrong place on Campag shifters. Riding on the hoods it’s too far back and on the drops it’s too high up. It’s only easily accessible when riding on the bit between the tops & the hoods. Which nobody does.

I’ve got a bike with an Athena groupset here that is never ridden because it annoys me so much !

mauja
    Free Member

How much are they selling the Pro Race model for in Germany?

RoterStern
    Free Member

How much are they selling the Pro Race model for in Germany?

Is that the second from top of the line?(In fact I think the one pictured)If it is then 5000Eur. If it’s the top of the line (no S-Works atm) then I think I saw 10000Eur. The one I am interested in with SRAM Force is 3500. Then the 105 is around 2500 IIRC. There is also a frameset option which I am considering to bypass the whole S/SRAM conundrum which is going for 1900.

eshershore
    Free Member

Mrs Esher shore has SRAM apex 10 SPD on her spesh ruby and shimano 105 11 SPD on her giant propel advanced pro
    Now she’s riding the propel more often she says she likes shimano better
    We went out in the wet yesterday she rode her ruby and did not like apex at all. Just to got to find a good deal on 105…

mattsccm
    Free Member

SRAM on one ( the On One :lol:) and Campag on tother. Swapping isn’t an issue , Much prefer the Campag as the button is just in the right place for drops and tops. Front shift is lighter . The SRAM is 10 speed so maybe things have changed.
    Tried Shimano but didn’t like the moving brake levers.

jamj1974

DELETED – Realised you meant road! 🙂

scaredypants

WTF’s going on with that spesh seatpost ?

Looks like the olympic symbol for shitting down a chimney 😀

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

105 +cable discs FTW. Cable discs are better than people suggest, my ghetto pov Promax with Tiagra levers are at least as good as Hope minis I had with same rotor size on an MTB.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using SRAM and Shimano STI shifters on two different bikes?’ is closed to new replies.