Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anyone using silkolene pro rsf
  • rab5474
    Free Member

Good evening folks

My fox forks are in need of a service, i have plenty of Silkolene Pro RSF, i understand that this is the same stuff as fox red oil, but is it ok to use in the lowers i have read some conflicting reports.

Anyone out there using it in there lowers
    Cheers

Northwind

Some folks maintain it swells the seals and makes the forks less plush. But still seem happy to use it in dampers, as if they don’t have any seals in. I’ve used it and noticed no difference but I wouldn’t want to say it can’t have an impact tbh.

But then, most of my forks have diesel engine oil in the lowers now so perhaps I’m not the one to field this one!

rab5474
    Free Member

I used it in the lowers of my recons and the stiction seems pretty bad, but then again i could have messed something else up

outlk
    Free Member

The viscosity of silkolene pro rsf is higher than most other brands. Another brands 10wt could be 5-6wt for rsf so you may well have unknowingly increased your damping.

http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/index.php?title=Suspension_Fluid

http://www.peterverdone.com/archive/bikesuspension.htm

The above links explain it better than I can and also give a comparison chart so you know your putting in the same as standard.

It’s meant to be top quality oil. I am using it in my forks and haven’t had any problems. But to be fair I haven’t serviced a lot of forks.

rab5474
    Free Member

I seen that chart its a really good read, i have mixed rsf 2.5w and rsf 10w to get the correct viscocity as the rockshox fluids

doof_doof
    Free Member

I’ve used RSF in the FIT damper and fully synthetic engine oil (Mobil 1) in the oil bath. Doesn’t really make sense to use damping fluid as a lubricant in the lowers. Fork is noticibly smoother with this set up.

I now use Maxima suspension fluid, apparently Push found it to be the best fluid during their testing (not that I would be able to tell any difference).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using silkolene pro rsf’ is closed to new replies.