Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone using Plusnet Broadband – are they good ?
  • redthunder
    Free Member

I’m with Pipex at the moment [Tiscali/ Talk Talk] whatever there called today.

I’m getting rubbish speeds on the evening and my contract is near the end.

Keep hearing about PlusNet and was wondering what real people think of them. Also, do they have decent NewsGroup provision especially binaries and good retention.

Any thoughts. Good or Bad.

verses

I’ve been with Plusnet for about 8 years and am happy enough with them. They’ve had a few issues over the years (most recently they’re one of the companies who had some of their customers details leaked by the lawyers investigating/exploiting file-sharers), but I’d imagine there’s few ISPs who’re faultless. They do have bandwidth throttling for certain traffic types, but the info of what’s throttled and when is on their site, so no secret.

I don’t use newsgroups/binaries so can’t comment on that in particular.

Certainly for the money (£12per month with 60GB limit) I’m very pleased with them.

tyke
    Free Member

Been with Plus for about 4 years. Despite now being part of BT they are still giving good service and support. They do use “packet shaping” to restrict torrent downloads during peak hours but overall I’m getting around 5-6 Mbps download speeds.

Don’t use Newsgroup services so can’t commment on this.

chvck
    Free Member

No complaints here either! I got the unlimited package for 20 quid a month whilst it was still available. They’ve never complained about my absurdly high peak usage and they don’t seem to throttle me noticeably either.

redthunder
    Free Member

They sound quite resonable.

Just found this information on the binaries though.

http://usergroup.plus.net/news_usenetbinaries.php

However, they seem cheap enough and subscribing to say Giganews is an option.

Thanks people for the info.

verses

[cheeky request]If you decide to sign up can you mention that Verses (verses@verses.free-online.co.uk) on Free-online recommended you (it’s on the signup form)? It saves me about thruppence ha’penny on my monthly costs 😉 [/cheeky request]

cp

plusnet are owned by BT??! Bugger, wont be going near them then 🙁

datsunman

I’ve used Plusnet for the last few months, seem OK so far. Nice and cheap too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using Plusnet Broadband – are they good ?’ is closed to new replies.