Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Anyone using Nobby Nics in the Surrey Hills at the moment?
  • Gotama
    Free Member

Just wondering how they fare as an all round tyre since i’m looking to stick one on the back of a 29er in a fairly chunky size. What’s the rolling resistance and mud shedding ability like? Any comparison to a high roller, minion or baron would be very helpful.

Cheers

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

You will need to know pressures as well…… 🙄

njee20
    Free Member

They’re not great in the mud, but it never gets that muddy up there anyway. Be fine from now until next winter for sure.

Saying that I’m not a massive fan, the Ralph is lighter, faster, not that much worse in the wet – I was on Racing Ralphs on Saturday, and they were alright, a bit slidey in a couple of places. If it’s too wet for Ralphs I’d rather use something that’s actually good in the mud.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Gotama
    Free Member

Thanks very helpful. Have you ridden a Nobby Nic and would you care to offer an opinion or do you just come here to be facetious?

Edit – directed at kingkongsfinger

honourablegeorge

I had a ralph on the back of my soul for a while, but there was a lack of traction when trying to ride up technical, slippy stuff, the Nic works better for that.

Gotama
    Free Member

Thanks njee. I was looking at the ralph as well but i’d read that the sidewalls were delicate. Interesting though. Why don’t you like the nics out of interest?

sputnik
    Free Member

Been using them all year long for a couple of years around surrey Hills and they are nice and grippy and rolls well. Been using Rubber Queens for bit over a month now and they grip better than Nics do but are slower.
    What do you plan to use on the front then? I was running a NN2.1 on the back and a NN2.25 on the front.
    KK’s finger might suggest that they have better grip ( like any tyre) when not pumped too hard.

njee20
    Free Member

Thanks njee. I was looking at the ralph as well but i’d read that the sidewalls were delicate. Interesting though. Why don’t you like the nics out of interest?

They’re exactly the same carcass as the Nic, which is tougher than the Ron/Dan/Fred, which all share a lighter carcass.

Like I said, I don’t find the Nic very good in the wet, and the Ralph is better in the dry.

mashiehood
    Free Member

I have used NN 2.1/2.25 rear/front in Surrey Hill – they are fine.

I much prefer the Racing ralph / Rocket ron, rear front during the spring summer months.

Worth noting I run the standard tyres tubeless with Stans on Alpine rims.

Carlos45
    Free Member

I had a set of Nobby Nics on my Scott. I have to say I didn’t like them in the Surrey Hills – particularly over wet roots. Could simply be me and /or having the pressures wrong in them as I do see many praise such tyres.

I moved to a Minion on the front and a High Roller on the back – perfect combo (for me) for most conditions – the High Roller slid a little on corners but this was generally fine as you could anticipate it. I also slipped a Baron on the front in the Winter which worked a treat.

Gotama
    Free Member

Sputnik – Trying out a Hans Dampf on the front in the trailstar compound but wanted something that rolls a bit better on the rear as i’m happy to sacrifice a bit of grip.

Might try a ralph to start off with. If its a bit sketchy then, by the sounds of it, it’ll be a great summer tyre.

mcboo
    Free Member

I’ve used Nics for years, they are still the (relatively) heavy duty tyre for me for trips to Spain/Lakes. My new bike came with Rons 2.1s, as njee says they are a bit lighter but are pretty good in the wet and tremendous when its dry.

Not expecting them to last but while they do they are great. Are Ralphs basically shallower tread versions of Nics now?

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, same tread on the shoulders, a bit less in the middle. Hence they’re not really much worse than a Nic when it’s wet!

Rons are good certainly, probably my favourite all rounder.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Been running Hans Dampfs f&r for the last couple of weeks over there. I’m very impressed with them.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Gotama, Rode NN loads, won races on em. Tyres are talked about to much on here. What tyre for this, what tyre for that…. No one talks about tyre pressures which is just as important if not more so.(again depends on rider weight/bike/wheelset/conditions/rider ability etc)

I just posted previously to make you think about somert else rather than just tyres. No point in commenting any more as I have never ridden in Surry Hills.

Njee20 comment about sliding around abit on tyres, thats more like it, get the rider to do a bit more than expecting the tyres to do everything for you. I rode a knackered pair of Crossmarks till Nov last year and it was very muddy, I seemed to cope OK by adjusting tyre pressures a little and moving my weight around while climbing and decending etc while my mates where using NN and RR getting the same or similar traction, I run stans tubless which also helps alot.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Actually, kingkongsfinger has made me think – with the HDs I am running tubeless and around 28psi which could also be a big improvement on my usual tube with 35-40 psi. Running a pacestar on the rear with trailstar up front.

mcboo
    Free Member

I just posted previously to make you think about somert else rather than just tyres.

Is it Him?

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

nobby nics are amazing.. if its too muddy for nobbys you’ll need a spike or swampys imo.

Theyre ace.

Gotama
    Free Member

Kingkongsfinger – Apologies for my initial reply, i misinterpreted your post. Appreciate pressure and the other variables make a significant difference. These will be run tubeless on a canfield yelli screamy with a wide velocity rim which will hopefully let me run them at a reasonably low pressure.

Pacestar hans dampf is a consideration.

Gotama
    Free Member

Who, GW? In which case i feel honoured to have created a question worthy of his wrath. He did make me chuckle.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Happy testing 😀

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using Nobby Nics in the Surrey Hills at the moment?’ is closed to new replies.