Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone using a SPOT satellite tracker
  • Hi,

Just wanted to find out if anyone is using a SPOT satellite tracker on their rides, or can recommend any similar devices.

I am looking at this primarily to give to clients on our self-guided holidays, so they can stay in contact with the support crew, even in areas with zero phone reception. Also it’ll give my wife piece of mind on when I go off on solo trips.

Any experience with or feedback on the SPOT or other satellite trackers greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Phil
    http://www.scottishmountainbikeguides.com

thegreatape
    Free Member

http://forargyll.com/2008/05/glen-etive-sees-first-ever-use-of-spot-personal-gps-in-international-rescue-drama/

I was at work when this one happened – the system worked pretty well I thought

However, on another occasion quite a considerable amount of time was wasted searching for a chap who was walking in the Mallaig/Armadale area and had stopped updating his blog/google earth/whatever it is the thing does because he got bored of his new toy. His family called up because they thought he must be dead or dying somewhere. Think he was traced in one of the pubs miles from where they’d been looking for him.

I guide I know up here carries a satellite phone when he has groups in the hills.

wwaswas

Nokia sportstracker’s ok as long as you have mobile coverage.

ah missed the phone reception thing,,,

andym
    Free Member

I have a Spottracker – I bought it primarily for the fact that it had the emergency callout facility that can be used where there is no mobile coverage and you can also send an ‘OK’ message to friends and relatives.

My overall assessment is that it’s definitely a v1 device in that it’s a bit clunky and there are things that could be improved – eg it could confirm when it has successfully sent a message, but I still think it was a useful investment as a piece of emergency kit. The positioning messages seemed pretty accurate. I found that it was best to set the device down in one place and give it 10 minutes or so to do it’s job. I would ask clients to use the check-in facility at meal breaks and in the evenings.

I don’t know whether you were planning on using it as a tracking device with the ability to show your clients’ position at any given time. Someone did a review on backpackinglight.com when they criticised the fact that the tracking on the move seemed a bit hit and miss. Personally I think the emphasis of the review was completely wrong, as it’s primarily an emergency device, but in any event while there were some questions about the device as a tracking device, my general impression is that unless you want to keep constant tabs on clients all of time then it’s good enough. I’m not sure if there is anything better that will work without mobile coverage.

Hi folks,

Thanks very much for your replies.

Andym – thats pretty much how I’d imagine using it – just to check in a couple of times a day. Not too bothered about knowing exactly where they are, unless they start pedalling up the brown creek without a paddle, when I imagine it’ll give a close enough position.

Can you give me any sort of idea on battery life?

Cheers,

Phil

http://www.scottishmountainbikeguides.com

solamanda
    Free Member

I can’t give you much info but if you are after any in bulk quantity email me.

andym
    Free Member

Can you give me any sort of idea on battery life?

I’ve only used mine turning on once or twice a day – turning it off when not in use. Seemed to last fine for a month. I’ve assumed power consumption in non-tracking mode would be minimal, as there is no display, but I can’t state that as a fact. It comes with lithium batteries.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using a SPOT satellite tracker’ is closed to new replies.