Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Anyone using a Roku media streamer with their TV?
  • spooky_b329

Currently using Spotify Premium and Youtube via a creaking old laptop which is plugged into my TV and a Hifi.

Laptop is really on its last legs and has started blue screening.

So this Roku 2 XS;

Is the Spotify interface any good? Controllable with the included Roku android app?

I’ve seen mentions that there is a workaround to get Youtube on it, anyone tried that?

Similarly, seen mention of a workaround so you can link it to a NAS drive for streaming media?

Slightly confused, it mentions a subscription but I think this is if you want to watch Netflix with it? Can anyone confirm the Roku itself is subscription free?

It mentions 100’s of channels, are any of these subscription free?

Thanks 🙂

uponthedowns
    Free Member

A WD TV Live Hub will run Spotify, Youtube and stream from an NAS and comes with its own remote- no workarounds required

spooky_b329

Thanks, will take a look. Glad I decided to do some research instead of impulse buying the Groupon offer!

aidso
    Free Member

My sister has it and watches a lot of Netflix – I’m not impressed to be honest. The selection from Netflix is abysmal and I am led to believe from Roku themselves that because of some interface problem, you don’t see all the content that you would see via your computer. Something about an SDK not supporting all the features….
    There are other movie services but these are worse than Netflix.
    The majority of the other channels are paid for and I wouldn’t bother. Get XBMC on a Rasberry Pi and a HP N40L microserver for your NAS.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Sky are investing in Roku as a streamer box for their “pay per view” film service that is said to be incoming in about June…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using a Roku media streamer with their TV?’ is closed to new replies.