Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Anyone using a Garmin watch for MTB
  • dirtyrider
    Free Member

thinking about buying a garmin watch (920XT) for use on the MTB – i never look at the bar mounted one while on the bike anyway

anyone do/use similar?

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

I use the 910 XT……works for me 🙂

breninbeener

I use a 920xt. I use the quick release kit and it mounts on bar or wrist strap with a 1/4 turn. All good 🙂

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

yes, always – use a varioactive now but have used my running ones previously.
    Arm mount or bar mount (only if I want to know on the fly how far I have gone etc. )

julians
    Free Member

I use a Garmin fenix 3, works well.

rob2
    Free Member

I use a fenix 3. On and off road. Use it to navigate routes fine

mrsfry
    Free Member

Fenix 3. Did think about the 920 but the Fenix is less plastic and looks better

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Fenix 3 here too

Works really well

mikertroid
    Free Member

Fenix 3. Does the job nicely.

superfli
    Free Member

I use one as I do little bit of running and those OCR races, so needs to be waterproof and wearable.
    Had a 2nd hand garmin 305, with qr mount, which I thought was a good idea. Not for a rough MTB ride. Lost that at a UKGE event.
    Bought a 2nd hand 310XT to replace and still use that. Cheap and does the job very well. Have learnt my lesson and mount it to bars with the wrist mount adapter thing.

I’d love a 920XT as I briefly had a Sony smart watch for phone call alerts whilst out on bike (it broke after 1 month – was 2nd hand+cheap though). The caller display was really cool. Rather a lot of money though 🙁

dirtyrider
    Free Member

those with a fenix 3 why did you choose that over the 920xt?

mrsfry
    Free Member

It’s wearable regardless of whether your doing sport or work. It looks darn good and feels better on the wrist compared to the 920 and it looks as if you are getting your moneys worth in the build and design compared to the 920, even though they do both the same things thanks to updates.

Sooo pretty

MrPottatoHead

I use Fenix 3 too. I might be in the minority here but do find it a little uncomfortable on rocky sections. But I do ride fully rigid and I probably wear it slightly on the loose side so it does knock about a bit. It’s not enough to make me do anything about it but the lighter weight of the more plasticky models might be less of a problem.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I wear a Vivoactive all the time but I’ve only used it on the bike a couple of times when i’ve forgotten my Edge 810. The 810 is much better

petrieboy

Is anyone using the new fenix 3 with the built in optical HRM? I’ve already got a 310xt and garmin swim and an 800 on the bike but I’m really tempted by the fenix and my casual watch is on the blink so there’s space in my life for a new watch!

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Can any of the Fenix 3 owners speak more about using one for navigation?

If you can see only the track, with no map, is that enough to keep you on course over long rides in unfamiliar territory?

Can’t decide between a Fenix and an Edge …

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Ah, just read Dibbs’ post above – that settles it, cheers.

julians
    Free Member

Fenix 3 user here.

I think if navigation is a main requirement then you may be better off with a different device. It’ll get you by(and has done for me on various rides to places I have never been) but a device with proper maps will be easier to read and be less likely that you’ll go wrong

philstone

MrPottatoHead, get the Velcro strap, in the Alps I have to use mine with Velcro otherwise I get similar pain.

BadlyWiredDog

I asked on a previous thread how many people actually use all the whizz bang options on their Fenix and similar watchs, most just seemed to use them as a tracker to record data for Strava etc and because they like the whole shiny tech thing.

I’ve used a Fenix 1 on the mtb and the road. It records tracks fine, on the road, with a pre-loaded GPX it’ll do quite a nice job of 1. signalling the arrival of a waypoint with a beep 2. displaying an arrow that shows you which direction to go.

The basic ‘maps’ or whatever you want to call them, are near enough useless. I found the watch a little bulky, but comfortable given that it’s a bit of a lump because of the way the back is designed so it sits clear of your wrist bones in my case, and it’s an arse to fit under slim-fitting gloves and sleeves.

Not used the 920XT. For basic tracking, the Tom Tom watch thing is a lot slimmer and less obtrusive, but doesn’t have any navigational capabilities. I guess it all depends on what functionality you’re 1. looking for 2. will actually use.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I use a Fenix 3.

Mainly as I don’t just ride, do some running, play squash use it on the turbo for training etc.

I don’t use the mapping/guidance though.

I wanted one device to do it all, tried a Vivoactive thing & it felt like a toy watch. Didn’t really know about the 920 so didn’t look too much into it, but I had an Amazon deal pop up for a super cheap Fenix & just went for it.

Pretty pleased with it.

puddings
    Free Member

I use a fenix 2 special edition
    Pros
    -Got it very cheap – just over £100 and I suspect you can still find deals on them
    -Came with a spare velcro strap which I swapped for the plastic one – more comfortable and the only time I caught it when crashing it pulled free of my arm without damaging the watch or giving me more than a hefty bruise
    -It appears to be very robust – I have had mine for over a year and it has hardly a mark on it despite using it for MTB, sea swimming, climbing, skiing and cross country running
    -good at picking up a signal in open ground and generally will keep locked on when riding through trees. The only caveat on this is when in a valley with tree cover, it then drops signal but this is not unusual
    -small device compared to the fist generation wearables. The battery life on frequent sample is pretty good – I have never had an issue on a days biking (8hrs). However, full day or multiday activities will need a topup charge or use of lower sampling rates (which will mess up the accuracy of your strava heroing)

Cons
    -It is awful at picking up a signal in built up areas. If I am going for a run I can leave the house and wait up to 5 mins before it locks on. It is running the latest software and I have tried all the tricks recommended on the forums but it is a known issue with them. Apparently the 3 is a lot better in this regard.
    -It doesn’t transfer activity type information correctly when syncing, meaning you have to go into garmin connect and manually input what the activity was and what equipment was used (a factory reset sometimes resolves this but it doesn’t appear to be permanent – again apparently the 3 is better in this respect)
    – Bluetooth syncing is hit and miss; I generally find it works about 3/4 of my attempts and then it needs a good wifi connection on the receiving device with even 4G being temperamental
    -The indoor training functions don’t work particularly well (I have never got the swim functions to work correctly and again looking at the user forums I am not alone in this regard)
    -Step counting is hit and miss (not essential I know but my healthcare package gives a bigger discount for hitting steps targets than it does for cycling over 200km per week)

Most of the negatives I have listed would have led me to ditching the device if I could afford to, and looking at the forums I am not alone. However, the issues do seem to cross over into most of the same generation devices. The press on the Fenix 3 and its siblings seems to be better although I have no personal experience

OCB
    Free Member

I use my F3 on the bike, but really only as a datalogger when I ride – simply as I mostly dawdle along looking over hedges and the like rather than ride with any great pace / effort. It serves a similar function on walks too, but I do use the ABS sensors then I realise, now I think about it (assuming I’ve calibrated them first).

Mine gets *most* use when I run tho’ – the additional data from the new ‘running dynamics’ is great, and I find that data really useful – a huge step up from my 910XT.

Mine does get waypoints loaded onto it, but only as a backup / sense check against a map (and in some cases map & compass) – my instinct is that I’d use a gpx file in the same kinda way (which I must try one day!).

As my days on the bike get longer, I’m actually looking to add an Oregon 600 (perhaps an Edge 1000) for ‘full’ navigation on the bike – having a map is great, but a bit unwieldy perhaps if I need to just get somewhere I don’t know.

The 920XT is a decent bit of hardware too, I upgraded from my 910 about 14 months ago, and if the F3 hadn’t been so close to release at the time I’d have got the 920XT without a second thought.

I get the convenience of the HR versions, but wonder how tight you’d need to have it to get consistently robust readings?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

went for the 920XT – ordered from Amazon, came with the Run HRM even though the pictured one was the bog standard one, which was nice

quite liberating not having anything on the stem 🙂

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Late to the party, but I have a 910XT with one of these:

grumpster
    Free Member

We have recently got both in the household.

Unless you are a runner or swimmer I see no advantage in the watch.

If you do want the watch however they have just announced the Garmin 735XT – might be worth a look.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using a Garmin watch for MTB’ is closed to new replies.