Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • anyone using 2014 Defrosters ?
  • iainc

My old 2011 ones died today. How do the 2014’s size up ? I recall there was an issue with the 2013 ones being narrow.

Want to stick with Spesh as they are good on my dodgy knees.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

It doesn’t answer your question, but I use the insoles and wedges from my Specialized summer shoes in Shimano winter boots with no issues. Keeps my knees working right!

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I had some for Xmas. Seem nice and wide to me – as if someone finally thought to factor thick socks into the design of a winter shoe!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iainc

Thanks both. I have used the blue spesh insoles in shimano before too and they were ok. All my other bike shoes (4 pairs) are spesh so will stick with what I know works for me. Glad to hear width sorted this yr. Off to LBS tomorrow and hope they have right size (46), one up from other shoes.

Thanks

GregMay
    Free Member

I’ve had to go down a size on mine – really like them.

iainc

Greg, do you have spesh summer shoes too ? If so how does size compare to defrosters ? I have always been 1 up to allow a single pair of wool climbing style socks.

davenorth1
    Free Member

mine r sound. not too narrow but no room for thick socks but as u know there insulated anyway, nice boots

GregMay
    Free Member

Aye have summer ones too 43 in them, 42 in the defrosters

iainc

Thanks all. Greg – do you use thicker or similar socks ?

MSP

I have 2013 and 2014 defrosters and a pair of rime’s, size 49 in them all. 2013 defrosters were too small, 2014 are fine even with thick hiking socks, and I put sole mouldable insoles in the 2014’s couldn’t do that in last years even with thin socks.

iainc

Great stuff, thanks all. Will try 45 as per my spesh shoes and 46 as per my old defrosters.

iainc

Well I tried on the 46’s at LBS, lovely boots, a big improvement from the old ones, and as per some previous posts quite roomy. Indeed so much that I don’t think I need to size up for thick socks, so they have ordered a pair of 45’s for me to try too (same size as my summer shoes)

iainc

Anyone else with 2014 ones any thoughts on size compared to their spesh shoes ?

mattjg
    Free Member

are you saying don’t buy a size up on the ’14s? A thick sock is factored in already?

iainc

Matt, that’s my take so far, on basis of having tried a pair 1 size up from my other spesh shoes, while wearing a thick mountain hiking sock. Unfortunately shop didn’t have next size down ( same size as my other shoes) in stock so are ordering them in. I am hoping that they fit, hence seeking opinion from others who have them. Couple of posts indicate go for same size as normal shoes as they are made bigger for thick socks. I’ll know by about thu once shop has the smaller ones in 🙂

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Am a 45 in a Specialized road shoe, and bought the 2014 Defroster Trail boots in a 45. Perfect fit, even with the thick merino grade of Sealskinz underneath. Also have quite buniony-shaped feet so it’s hard to get shoes wide enough to fit sometimes.

iainc

Stef, that excellent, and what I was wanting to hear 🙂 Cheers

mattjg
    Free Member

I ordered a pair in 43 via the intertubes, I’m strictly a 42 but the choice seemed to be 41 or 43. The width is fine but the heel a tad sloppy and they are long in the toe for me, so I’ll need to change them.

The build quality feels good and they are not heavy.

nikxl
    Free Member

I have a pair, same size as my s-works mtb shoes. Its actually a wonder you cant smell them from there! They are nigh on impossible to dry quickly enough to stop them stinking of damp. Any suggestions welcome

iainc

thanks for updates. Hoping that the 45’s that are on their way to LBS (and same size as my other spesh shoes) will work out fine with thick socks – sems like they will, given the 46 was a bit big.

nikxl – with my old ones, and with shoes, i take the insoles out then leave the boots on the hot water cylinder for a day. If they are smelly, sprinkle liberally inside with bicarbonate of soda before drying, do it a couple of times and they should be smell free

iainc

Well thanks for all the advice. Pair of 45’s purchased and they are spot on with woolie boolies or medium weight hiking socks.

So what to do with my old ones which are still in ok nick but have one stripped thread on a cleat plate ?

roadiebiker-m.g
    Free Member

iainc- replace the cleat nut. There will be a flap in the inside of the sole, but it may be covered with the lining. You can buy shimano cleat nuts from a few places, if they dont cut them dont to match the old one.

Do you wash the bicarb out afterwards or leave it in? My shoes are embarassingly smelly now, and putting them in the wash isnt going to work.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘anyone using 2014 Defrosters ?’ is closed to new replies.