Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Anyone using 2013/14 Formula R1's?
  • DanW
    Free Member

Hi all,

Thinking about new brakes and have had 2011 R1’s which I quickly replaced with XTR985’s due to the very tight pad-rotor clearance which was driving me nuts. Either think of Formula R1 Racing’s or the new XTR 987’s.

The R1’s were a massive PITA to set up without rubbing and seemed different from one day to the next. I seemed to get very poor pad life and also found that on long descents in the wet I would lose all power and the lever would pull back to the bars (but that is a whole different issue).

It seems the very small pistons were not the smoothest to retract and often didn’t sit exactly square in the calipers and there wasn’t a lot anyone could do about it- just live with the rubbing.

So, in 2013 Formula introduced their “Enhanced Caliper Technology” which the reckon increases pad-rotor clearance and should make the operation of the pistons much smoother.

So, do you guys running 2013/14 R1’s still get very tight pad-rotor clearance or are they just as reliable and trouble free as Shimano brakes?

DanW
    Free Member

Anyone at all?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Used the RX for the last 4 years been faultless for me with almost zero maint

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using 2013/14 Formula R1's?’ is closed to new replies.