Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Anyone used unbrandedcarbon.co.uk?
  • epicsteve
    Free Member

It’s my birthday in a few weeks and I’m thinking of asking my wife to get me a new set of wheels (she’ll also benefit herself as my current Planet-X Model-B’s will go onto her road bike) and was thinking about getting some 38mm carbon clinchers from Unbranded Carbon (http://unbrandedcarbon.co.uk/product/uc-38mm-carbon-wheelset/) for £319. Anyone bought from them before?

The alternative, cheaper and non-aero option would be the £187.50 32mm allow Cosines from Wiggle at 1485g, or the Shimano C24’s at 1502g and about £400.

Any other fairly light options up to about £400 I should be considering?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Unbranded carbon?

No. And the idea fills me with dread.

dovebiker

If you’re limiting yourself to clinchers then I’d stick with alloy rims, particularly if these are going to be your only wheels, used in all conditions. Carbon rims only really make sense if you’re using tubulars (lighter, stronger rims). Braking in the wet and rim wear are best described as ‘compromises’

ferrals
    Free Member

Unbranded carbon?

No. And the idea fills me with dread.

Actually, the concept is a good one, I assume they are buying open mould stuff from the far east add a bit on and sellin in the UK, so the consumer gets the uk based warrenty and (for now) EU sales laws, while still getting unexpensive products.

My concern is that the website doesn’t seem to have a contact telephone number / address. I did some work for google a while back and not having those was a massive black mark against the website.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Fair point about the lack of phone no etc. I suspect it’s one guy shipping out of his home, although I’ve no real issue with someone buying in Chinese stuff and selling it on for some margin.

They wouldn’t be my only wheels however something like those Cosine ones might be a safer bet.

zilog6128

My concern is that the website doesn’t seem to have a contact telephone number / address. I did some work for google a while back and not having those was a massive black mark against the website.

Against the law for a UK e-commerce website, is it not?

nathb
    Free Member

Company Information

Unbranded Carbon Limited is registered in England & Wales, company number 09924716

Registered office address: Unbranded Carbon Ltd, Head Office, No. 3 Railway Terrace, Rossendale, Lancashire, BB4 6HP

We comply fully with UK law relating to mail order companies and the distance selling regulations. These terms and conditions do not affect your statutory rights as a customer.

http://unbrandedcarbon.co.uk/terms/

chakaping
    Free Member

the Shimano C24’s at 1502g and about £400.

I got these recently and they’re great – stiff and amazingly comfy (which must be the carbon bits). The narrow width was a plus for me (tight frame clearance).

djglover
    Free Member

I got the chain reaction ones after deliberating over the various no name Chinese or British brands. They are not a wheel I would use in all conditions by any stretch of the imagination due to the braking surface either grinding away or heating up., and because of that on reflection I think a set of unbranded ones for use in rolling countryside in spring – autumn I’d by happy to buy Chinese. Having said that they were fine coming down from fleet moss in November and there are not many longer descents in this country

I am about to build up some 50mm and planning on buying the rim only from China and using hope hubs or something

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Actually, the concept is a good one, I assume…

You carry on then. 🙂

poah
    Free Member

looks like an aliexpress catalogue

hatter

26 year old kid ordering stuff from Ali Baba and jobbing it out from his bedroom by the look of things.

Sorry, I like my face, I’ll pass.

Have fun getting spares down the line.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Ok folks – I can tell a “No” when I hear one…!

Looks like it’s going to be either the Cosine’s or the C24’s then.

windyg
    Free Member

I have used Unbranded, only bought a saddle just to see what it was like.
    Had no problems emails sent when posted and arrived i think within a week.
    Quality of the saddle is fine, it’s what I expected and was only £20.

greentricky
    Free Member

Lgfss – Orient express thread

The above is full of UK folks experience on cheap Chinese carbon. Think they generally like Light Bicyle and CN* Carbon for wheels

nathb
    Free Member

From my endless research into Chinese carbon before purchasing 2 frames from different suppliers:

Wheels:
    Farsports / wheelsfar
    Light bicycle
    Ican
    Yoeleo
    Zuus (UK)

Frames:
    Flyxii
    Workswell
    Dengfu
    Hongfu
    Ican
    Miracle
    Velobuild

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Registered office address: Unbranded Carbon Ltd, Head Office, No. 3 Railway Terrace, Rossendale, Lancashire, BB4 6HP

We comply fully with UK law relating to mail order companies and the distance selling regulations. These terms and conditions do not affect your statutory rights as a customer.
    https://goo.gl/maps/zeiXXMKerqy
    The distance selling empire in all it’s glory…
    It’s all well and good saying you comply but if you don’t have the cash flow to cover a bad batch of something you just don’t have it – this may or may not be the case but it certainly wouldn’t inspire me to shop there or convince me of any genuine buyer protection.

njee20
    Free Member

Good to see all the usual shit on here!

I’ve got some FarSports rims, and they’re spot on. Braking is far better than the £1500 Bontragers I used to have, plus tyres don’t blow off the rim. But they don’t have expensive decals on them, so they’re obviously shit!

As above – that site is clearly someone selling on Chinese wheels, I’ve no specific issue with that, but I’d sooner buy from one of the reputable brands personally. If you value a UK based seller then they’re probably a great choice.

I’d have more FarSports rims in a second.

poah
    Free Member

But they don’t have expensive decals on them, so they’re obviously shit!

Or they are an unknown quality and the back up is in China and often unreliable.

nathb
    Free Member

poah –
    Or they are an unknown quality and the back up is in China and often unreliable.

Just like Planet X then, but they’re based in the North of England.

I’ve received far better customer service from Chinese companies than many other UK companies (inc PX). They’re global brands in their own right, and frequent a lot of forums – their reputation means a lot to them.

What does bring Chinese carbon in disrepute is those producing knock off frames/rims as oppose to open mold (mould?) ones. Just do your research and you’ll be fine.

Northwind

nathb – Member

I’ve received far better customer service from Chinese companies than many other UK companies (inc PX). They’re global brands in their own right, and frequent a lot of forums – their reputation means a lot to them.

Me too- though, I wouldn’t expect that to extend to the outright no-names sold by the chinese boxshifter equivalent of this guy. But I’d rather buy from a more known chinese brand than from PX even if the prices were the same.

(there’s a weird disconnect, I spotted it with chinese lights first but you get it with allsorts. People say “If it breaks you just have to bin it” and actually, when you ask it turns out they never even tried to claim on warranty. I’ve warrantied cheap chionese torches and lights, random non-bike stuff, got great service from Lightbicycle after I broke a long out-of-warranty rim in a totally-not-the-rim’s-fault manner… But people just don’t even bother trying, then they complain that they didn’t get a warranty fix when they didn’t ask. Same with Shimano brakes for that matter)

poah
    Free Member

Just like Planet X then, but they’re based in the North of England.

wouldn’t buy from them though lol

mickmcd
    Free Member

When did sheffield not become north of england anything past nottingham for me is classed as the deep sarf

epicsteve
    Free Member

BTW I did eventually by a set of 60mm carbon clinchers off them to go on the TT bike. Delivered quickly, well packaged and came with carbon specific pads etc. Not done a lot of miles on them yet but so far they seem fine.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Anyone used unbrandedcarbon.co.uk?’ is closed to new replies.