Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Anyone used the cheap Novatec hubs?
  • drewd

I recently purchased a wheelset which was on sale from it’s RRP of £350, thinking it was better specced than it actually is. The name of this set is slightly different from another set, which most of the google searches related to. I am now debating whether to return them.

The hubs are Novatec D142SBT rear and D041SB front. They are cartridge bearings, but only use 2 per hub. Also the freehub is steel.

Has anyone got any experience with these hubs? I know they’re heavy but I can live with that if they’re reliable and easy to service. Reliability was the main reason I bought the wheels. I am intending to use them on a CX/gravel bike, so road and light off road use. And I am light.

I know people rate the better specced Novatec hubs, superstar switch etc, but can’t find much on the lower spec ones.

arogers
    Free Member

I haven’t used the specific hub you mention but I have owned cheap Novatecs which came OE on a bike. They were pretty dismal. Freehub and bearings didn’t last 6 months. More like 4 I think, and not the winter either. For reference, I ran Hopes for 2 years before that without touching them.

drewd

Hmm, not great then. I suppose I should return them.

Thanks arogers, much appreciated.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Yeah, I have had 2 Novatec freehubs explode on me, and I’m not a heavy rider. It never happens at a good time either…

drewd

Yeah, that’s my concern with them. I’ll arrange to return them then.

Cheers.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Anyone used the cheap Novatec hubs?’ is closed to new replies.