Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone used Paul Hewitt Cycles in Leyland?
  • johni
    Free Member

Hi All,

I’m looking for a new LBS near to my place of work. I work in Leyland and wondered if anyone has experience of Paul Hewitt Cycles?

I know Merlin and Ribble are local to me but was interested in a LBS with good workshop rather than supplier of bits.

Any views appreciated!

Thanks
    John

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Yep, all good as far as I’m concerned

mick_r

Very good workshop (inc framebuilding so lots of tools for threading / reaming / chasing frames). Good wheelbuilding and good for ordering parts. Big focus is road and touring but they will also get mtb parts in if you ask.

If you want somewhere for specific mtb work and advice (disc problems, suspension pivots, forks etc) then Ride On at Rawtenstall are the best place I know.

MoreCashThanDash

Very roadie oriented, makes and/or sells great road bikes, was very helpful and pleasant the one time I went in.

johni
    Free Member

Thanks for the rapid feedback. It’s a bit of a trip to Rawtenstall for me but my commute takes me the length of the M65 each day so I want somewhere I can just drop in on.

I need a few bits and pieces and a spoke replacing/wheel truing so I’ll use that as a test run.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 excellent wheel builder

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

not the cheapest but there’s some great stuff in there for sure
    +1 on the excellent wheel builder 🙂

traildog
    Free Member

Excellent workshop and great for wheels.

mt
    Free Member

Proper bike shop and you’ll get good service. It’s not one of those “johonny come lately” roady bike shops, it’s a road bike shop from when there was really only road bikes.

wheelie

Does Gethin Butler still work there?

johni
    Free Member

I went and got good service. They didn’t have any of the bits I needed other than a spoke so I came out a whole 63p lighter!

It meant I could spend the evening repairing and truing my wheel before refitting my ghetto tubeless tyre. Very satisfying!

I’ll go back with a shopping list and see if they can order in the things I need.

dingleberry
    Free Member

Definitely more road orientated, but a great shop – they know their stuff, never pushy or rushed. Paul built both my road and MTB wheels and they’re solid as a solid thing.

globalti
    Free Member

Paul Hewitt is the original taciturn but first class roadie bike shop owner; he will do a bike setup for you, judging much of it by eye and experience. I once watched him build up an Orbea for my pal and it was a joy to see such economy in motion, he had clearly done it thousands of times before.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Didn’t he used to build wheels for the GB Olympic squad yeasrs ago?
    Anyway, he’s built several wheels for me in the past and they’ve been very reliable.
    I also bought a road bike from him and had the full bike fitting experience.
    This was many years ago but based on that, I’d definitely recommend him…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone used Paul Hewitt Cycles in Leyland?’ is closed to new replies.