Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anyone used a clutched rear mech at Cwmcarn DH?
  • dingabell
    Free Member

Did it survive and do the job it was designed for, or couldn’t it handle it?

I_Ache
    Free Member

SS only at Cwmcarn. No rear mech can handle that.

patriotpro
    Free Member

I once did it on a chain-less penny-farthing. No Chainy, no droppy.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve heard that the rate of metal fatigue at Cwmcarn is twice that of the rest of Plant Earth. Apparently the conditions at that trail centre were used by NASA scientists to simulate the difficulties their robots would face on Mars.

Wouldn’t risk it personally.

Guys who ride backcountry in BC every day have nightmares about Cwncarn.

greeble
    Free Member

looking at the stats from the old dragon dh days its faster to ride chainless at cwmcarn. who needs a mech anyway

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

My Saint one spontaneously exploded half way down, taking my right leg below the knee with it.

Just call me stumpy.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’m assuming you’re not taking a 26er?? 😯

Northwind

I do not understand this thread. But my clutchy Saint works fine everywhere, because seriously, why wouldn’t it?

wwaswas

So we’ve gone from ‘What tyres for’ threads to ‘What rear mech for’?

*wanders off muttering*

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

HSE have a permanent on site operative due to the long list of casualties caused by irresponsible clutch mech owners who are either too foolish or pig headed to consider their own safety. You will be turned away or sold an archaic replacement at inflated prices.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

What’s the potential for spontaneous combustion here?? If your mech burst into flames it could well ignite the lube on the chain, and if you happen to be on a magnesium bike, well you’ve got yourself a bomb. Someone needs to warn .the WC pros at Andorra – there’s recipe for carnage here!!

I_Ache
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    So we’ve gone from ‘What tyres for’ threads to ‘What rear mech for’?

*wanders off muttering*

I started a what stem for Llandegla thread on the old forum. 😀

dingabell
    Free Member

Last time we went there my mate ripped his mech off on the first run down so he did the rest of the day without a chain. Didn’t slow him down at all. I just haven’t really had the chance to try the mech on anything remotely bumpy yet and I’ve heard a few people have increased the pressure on the cam inside it to make it even stiffer.

stevied
    Free Member

Last time we went there my mate ripped his mech off on the first run down so he did the rest of the day without a chain. Didn’t slow him down at all. I just haven’t really had the chance to try the mech on anything remotely bumpy yet and I’ve heard a few people have increased the pressure on the cam inside it to make it even stiffer.

Oh no, a sensible answer 🙄

tomhoward

Oh no, a sensible answer

from the OP….

Trimix
    Free Member

Im still on the original clutch in my Transit van 170k later.

stevied
    Free Member

from the OP….

Doh…IGMC 😳

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Im still on the original clutch in my Transit van 170k later.

But does it work anywhere near Cwmcarn?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anyone used a clutched rear mech at Cwmcarn DH?’ is closed to new replies.