Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone used 105 5800 yet?
  • alansd1980

Just curious how the new 5800 compares to 6800.

Commuter needs an overhaul and thinking about taking my old 105 and downgrading it to commuter duties and was wondering if there is a significant difference between the two?

I know I will need a new wheelset if I go to 11 speed

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve got full 6700 on one bike, 5700 gears with 6800 brakes on another and full 5800 on one I’ve just built up.

The hoods are slightly slimmer on the new 5800 but to be honest I can’t tell there’s much functional difference between 5700/6700 and 5800/6800.

I might just have them all set up equally well or equally badly, but the difference in shifting feel is negligible – don’t undertand people’s grumbles about poor cable routing on the 700 series shifters cos I’ve never noticed any particular drag.

And the 6800 brakes don’t feel any more powerful than the 6700 brakes, despite supposed better pad compound.

5800 is obviously a bit heavier than 6800 but that’s probably about it.

Buy what you can afford to wear out and replace, cos the differences to me are minimal functionally.

thepurist

Surely if you need new wheels it’d be the time to go to disks, then that’d be a new frame and heck, why not a new bike?

simondbarnes

Surely if you need new wheels it’d be the time to go to disks

Why?

Only had a little ride on 5800 but it feels every bit as lovely as 6800.

alansd1980

Thought about going the disc route. You can get great spec buying a bike whole but don’t to get awful wheels which ruin the ride of an otherwise nicely specced bike.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Got 5800 on new road bike.

Top stuff. Only thing I’m not using is the brake calipers as I needed long drop ones for my frame.

Levers comfy, gears easy to index and whole drive train is silent.

Very happy, particularly for the price you can get the whole gruppo for!

eshershore
    Free Member

Rode 5800 in June and was not impressed as I’d already ridden ultegra 11 speed and ride 6700 on my own bike but with 6800 Teflon cabling.

Found 5800 felt a bit plastic, rougher shifting and braking (probably the standard cables compared to Teflon), and the chainset feels softer when standing on the big ring or shifting up under power which is not surprising as the ring is not ‘hollowform’ like 6700 / 6800 but a plastic infill version.

Not bad as a groupset and great value but noticeable difference to ultegra, whilst 6800 does not feel far off 11 spd dura ace.

wilburt
    Free Member

What is it with people wanting more powerful brakes, I can quite happily endo anyone of my road bikes.

Tbh I would rather cut my cock off and eat it with a little chianti than ride a bike with discs.

hjghg5
    Free Member

On a similar subject I’m just looking at 6800 to replace sram force. My fairly pathetic excuse is that I need a new shifter so may as well upgrade the whole thing. I already have 11 speed compatible wheels. No-one seems to have a bad word to say about 6800, correct?

alansd1980

Can’t find anyone saying a bad word about 6800. Many reviews both in the press and on forums say the difference between it and dura ace is rapidly narrowing and if you are spending your own cash it’s probably not worth the extra.

I have a nice high end frame which got specced with 105 at the time and I am really regretting not just paying out the extra initially. Next problem will be wheels. The ultegra 6800 can be had around 200 and I run the older versions currently but they don’t feel all that solid. Anyone got a suggestion for cheap light and strong wheelset!

stevious

I have 6800 on my best road bike and enjoy it a lot. Brakes feel WAY better than the old 105 on my winter bike, which means I can go faster. I also like the shape of the levers and the reliability of the gears (about 5000km so far with zero adjustment).

This week I’ll be picking up my new ‘cross bike which has 5800 and disc brakes. Levers feel similar shape-wise but can’t comment on the function yet.

wilburt
    Free Member

Stevious- you can see my pov from previous posts, I would be interested to know in what way the ultegra brakes are way better than 105 more powerful, lighter action etc?

stevious

Wilburt – more powerful I guess. It takes less effort to scrub a wee bit of speed off, which means I can stay more relaxed when going fast. They’re definitely easier to modulate too – I’m much less likely to lock my wheels up in a panic with the 6800s.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Stevious – but to clarify you’re talking about “old” 105 – not 5800??

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone used 105 5800 yet?’ is closed to new replies.