Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Anyone use virgin media just for broadband
  • spawnofyorkshire

Looking at options for when I move house. Cant get fibre from BT etc yet at the property but can get VM. ADSL speed ain’t that quick
    Don’t want their TV or a phone line but vm’s bb comes with 52mb/s for £30 per month which is roughly what a bb package and line rental would cost.
    Am I being nuts by contemplating this?

gavjackson1984
    Free Member

We’ve got virgin broadband only. Didn’t see the point in getting a land line as we use our mobiles instead. Cheapest option for fast internet. Works for us.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I just have virgin BB as no BT fibre and all they could offer was 6-8mb which is useless as I do a lot of FTP of images and the uploads would take several hours (this in zone 3 London)
    Been with them for a year with no complaints, the price is going up a pound or so soon but they are also bumping the 50 up to 100.

I just use my mobile and don’t bother with a landline.

spawnofyorkshire

I’m being quoted 2-3mb/s over ADSL so really it’s my only option at the moment for quick Internet which is also my main source of TV via Netflix, Amazon, now TV etc.
    Think you have made my mind up on this one, thank you

dmorts

Have Virgin BB and phone, BB is super quick at 50 meg! Had BT Infinity at old place and it was no comparison to Virgin, the BT router was rubbish for a start….

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Virgin BB here currently have the 50Mb/s which they are going to double to 100Mb/s free fairly soon.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Yup have Virgin bb, afaik there’s really no saving in not getting phone, currently pay about £32ish for the base 50Mb, which others have said is to be doubled, and landline phone with unlimited calls. Up speed is really slow though compared to BT fibre etc

Zed
    Free Member

Virgin BB here, 50mb soon to be upped to 100mb.
    £19 per month but I’ve been with them for years.
    never had any problem at all with the connection 🙂

spawnofyorkshire

if i have a landline my mum might be able to spring an attack phone call on me. Easier to call screen on just the mobile

thanks folks, useful info and experience on here.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

FWIW I’ve had Virgin bb for around 10 years in which time I’ve had 2 outages which affected email clients only (webmail still ok). speed always been fine. That level of reliability worth a bit extra IMO

onandon
    Free Member

Yep, I got the 100 meg bb and nothing. The network is quick and stable where I live.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Yep, Virgin for BB only £32/month 20MBs Iirc. Getting a speed boost soon too

bear-uk
    Free Member

I have 100 meg and a few free tv channels. Its about £28 a month. Just today paid a full year up front for the rip off line rental. @ £160, apparently it saves £40 a year.

djglover
    Free Member

Our Virgin is not 100% reliable and their customer service is appalling! that said, there is no one to touch them for speed an we can have several devices connected and streaming, with about 90% reliability

bencooper
    Free Member

Use them for broadband and phone at the shop – very, very quick.

Though that’s partly because of a complicated thing to do with keeping the same phone number when I moved shop.

DezB
    Free Member

Had them on BB only for years. Don’t mind paying the extra, at least I don’t pay for “line rental” on something I won’t use. Been very reliable too. 100% uptime in the past 2 years.

ste_t
    Free Member

Just broadband for me, only had it go down a couple of times in 3 years. They put the price up by £1.50 p/m every October for me and phone me CONSTANTLY trying to get me to take other things.

That said, last time they called I told the lass very clearly to ensure that I get no such calls in the future and seems to have done the trick.

seosamh77
    Free Member

aye, £27.65 for bb only. 50 meg. expecting the 100meg at some point too.

the price does slowly creep up, usually a quid or 2 a year I’ve found over the last 7 years I’ve been on it.

I’ve never had a sales call from them. I do get the occassional outage, but it’s usually fixed quickly, was one on monday morning actually, web off from 10am till about 11.30. tells you on their site if there’s a problem and when they expect it to be fixed by, monday they reckoned 3pm, but fixed by 11.30am.

sheeps

Yep… Means the MIL never calls as an added bonus!

ononeorange

Used to. Left them owing to their utter uselessness when we had line problems. The call centre is excruciating and essentially they charge a fortune on it to just blame BT. That’s after they call your mobile after three weeks and ask you to do things to the modem there and then. A bit tricky when at work!

sadexpunk

just looking at this out of interest cos we’ll be moving next year and will have to sort bb out (its free for us at the mo)

ewwww…… looks like itll be another £30 pm then to budget for :-/

FWIW we’d only want bb too, both got mobiles, no interest in paid tv packages. seems steep for just a bit of internet/the odd evening on netflix.

am i right in assuming using unlimited phone data as wifi hotspot/tethering would be vastly inferior?

ste_t
    Free Member

There will probably be small print in that data usage about tethering. I like the speed of fibre for xbox live. For just browsing & Netflix you’re probably better off with one only the current deals where you pay line rental but broadband is free (plusnet et al.)

LMT
    Free Member

I did for years just have them for my internet, people get confused when you tell them you don’t have a phone line.

Running the 100mb at the moment, have the xbox/ps directly plugged into the router to get the full 100mb as wifi I only get 45-50mb speed when I called to complain turns out they will only guarantee up to a 50mb connection wifi from there equipment which is bonkers in this day of connect everything wirelessly.

sadexpunk

For just browsing & Netflix you’re probably better off with one only the current deals where you pay line rental but broadband is free (plusnet et al.)

so you mean someone like talktalk or as you mention, plusnet rather than virgin media?
    ive heard horror stories about these smaller companies, especially customer relations, but then again ive also heard plenty of that about VM too.

i know tetherings not allowed on a lot of contracts, but say i could find one that allowed it, would speed be good enough for netflix and general smart tv streaming? im sure itd be cheaper to take out a top phone contract than pay an extra £30pm but if it was to keep freezing then we may as well just suck it up and pay out.

uwe-r
    Free Member

We have virgin broad band, as said nothing comes close to how fast / reliable it is.

I also have a land line so the oldies can ring me once a week at a cost to me of c£15 a month!

I have also recently got a sim only mobile contract of them, great value and a decent network.

scandal42
    Free Member

We have virgin t’interweb only.

It’s quite fast but they now seem to send letters every 6 months saying the price is going up. I’m going to ring them and cancel to see what they say I think.

pennine
    Free Member

I’ve been with Virgin since 1994! Hardly had cause to ring up with problems so have remained a customer. Only BB 50mg at £24. Going up soon but also is the speed.

nsaints
    Free Member

If you work from home and rely on a stable connection then I recommend you do some homework with your neighbours to confirm within the day stability
    Mine was always dropping, and despite countless calls to virgin, talking to their technical team over a few years it was never fixed. I’m in Oxfordshire, my colleague in Leicester transferred to Virgin and exactly the same for him….continual line drops through the day

doris5000

i had Virgin in my last house. Wasn’t great.

Typical speeds could be anywhere from 0.3 to 25Mb/s (we were theoretically getting a 50meg service) – in particular it dropped in the early evenings, occasionally to the point where you couldn’t stream TV, so i guess there were contention issues.

now with Plusnet which is a lot cheaper and seems to be more reliable, despite a lower ‘headline’ speed

jimdubleyou

I pay for the top-whack BB from Virgin – 152Mb/s.

At the end of my (crappily) wired network I get anywhere between 50-60Mb/s – if I plug directly into the router I can get the 152.

The wifi is a bit rubbish though and better in “modem” mode with your own router. I’m still on the original super hub though so it might have improved.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use virgin media just for broadband’ is closed to new replies.