Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone use tubeless tyres on Ultegra wheels? Help, please!
  • chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Having a massive problem trying to seat some Bonty R3 tubeless tyres onto some new Ultegra 6800 wheels. Have spent two hours and only managed to get the front on, the rear is literally nowhere near. Am obviously working away from the valve but there’s a good six inch left to go on and the tyre is that tight it is virtually impossible. The instructions say you can’t use tyre levers so how can I get them on? Even if I manage to do so, what happens if I have to chuck an inner tube in when I’m out on the bike – I can’t go through all this hassle!

Any help would be gratefully received, by both myself and the Mrs who is threatening to go out for the evening if I don’t stop shouting and swearing 😕

Mister-P
    Free Member

Working away from the valve? I always start opposite the valve pushing the bead into the well in the middle of the rim.

schnor
    Free Member

Are the tyres new too? I’ve had similar problems with new bonty tubeless tyres (MTB though). I’ve found it helped to put them on with a tube in (maybe in your case a different wheel), go for a ride, then try again. I presume the bead stretches a fraction and it’s much easier after.

Macavity
    Free Member

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Yep, both wheels and tyres are brand new. Can’t do the different wheel option as its my only wheel! Will try again after watching the YouTube clip, having a beer and popping my blisters;-)

grim168
    Free Member

Had to use levers on mine. Schwalbe ultremo on ultegra. Had to use co2 to seat.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Thanks for all your help, can’t believe the Mrs has just sorted it! Macavity, not had time to look at the links but thanks. The Mrs used a shoelace in between the rim and the tyre so when it got too tight she just lifted it up and it popped in – I’d given up and was watching the rugby! So looks like I’ll be adding a shoelace to my kit when I next go out!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use tubeless tyres on Ultegra wheels? Help, please!’ is closed to new replies.