• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Kuco.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anyone use tubeless tyres on their road bike?
  • chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Just bought a pair of Ultegra wheels and tempted to try tubeless tyres. Any recommendations or anything I should stay away from?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Yes.

I’ve run:
    23mm Hutch Atoms – light but skinny and wear quickly
    23mm Hutch Fusion2 and 3s – better than Atoms re. wear
    25mm Hutch Fusion3s – better still but latest lot were sketchy in wet
    25mm Bonty R3s – better grip than Hutches but wear quite quickly
    28mm Hutch Sectors – on commuter and working well. Again, wet weather isn’t brilliant but they are pretty tough, but expensive

plus I have some Schwalbe Ones to go on next, so we’ll see.

Evans has R3s on offer
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bontrager/2013-r3-700c-tubeless-ready-folding-road-tyre-ec044810

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve been running some Hutchinson secteurs (sectors) and they were great until the bead snapped. I’ve contacted Hutchinson to ask about warranty and I’ve just been ignored. For that reason, I’ll never use another Hutchinson tyre. I’m trying schwalbe the one next.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve not had any issues but mates have had quality-control issues with Hutchinsons too. And I’ve read a few stories like onzadog’s on the web.

Schwables have had some good press though.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Rapidly narrowing it down to either the Schwalbes or the R3’s at present. Many thanks for your input guys.

dezza53
    Free Member

I’ve been using Schwalbe Ultremo ZX for quite a while now, only had one puncture (to my knowledge) and that sealed itself very quickly and I rode the last 15 miles home on 70 psi with no issues.
    Just fitted Schwalbe One’s to another bike, I expect the same level of performance.

womp
    Free Member

Schwalbe ones 25mm on farsport carbon rims, no issues, feel great, excellent grip – best set up I’ve had

also had the Hutchinson 28mm and 25mm also no issues but certainly feel heavier than the ones and the 25mm are actually 23mm, the 28mm are awesome descending in the dry on rough terrain through corners.

rsvktm

Used bonty r3’s in 25 mm great tyre, very grippy and fast. Using r2’s at the mo to see if any difference, not much if any I can tell, bit heavier and may last better. The r3’s did seem to get a few cuts in, never anything to affect tubeless.

scruff9252

@womp – are your carbon rims tubless specific?

I have some Chinese clinchers which are stamdard rims and was contemplating running ghetto tubless. Any experiences or will I die in a fireball killing all the baby robins?

womp
    Free Member

They are standard farsport 38mm but with a sealed rim bed, I’m not sure how well rim tape works at road pressures as I’ve only ever used sealed beds

theflatboy
    Free Member

Onza – how long ago did you get them, can’t you just get the shop to replace?

scaredypants

I got some hutchinson secteurs from an american shop before they were available in the UK. A trivial-looking delamination was appearing that at least 1 person thought would kill me in a hail of jizzy shrapnel. DIdn’t return them as the postage was pricy

now on hutchy intensive 25s, which have held up well

I have a R3 to try next

It’s very flinty gravel on the country roads round our way and I need fairly robust tyres – anyone know how good the schwalbes are at resisting cuts ?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I also got mine from the states before they were available in the UK. It was Hutchinson USA would I contact and who ignored me. Tempted to drop the UK importer a line but I’m well aware it’s not their problem.

Schwalbe are cheaper, lighter and more readily availible. I’ve learned my lesson.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I’ve been Useing specialized roubaix endurance tubless
    They are a mix of 23/25 to give better ride apparently but not sure I’ve noticed
    Used them since March and all good so far , no flats
    Not been out in the wet much though

cycleofaddiction
    Free Member

Schwalbe Ultremo zx’s, had a couple of punctures which can be quite scary the first time as due to the high pressure you get a loud bang and sealant spurting out but it all seals up pretty quickly and with a few pumps of air from your pump you’re good to go in a few mins, much easier than chainging a flat !

singletrackmind

Do you all still carry a tube and patch kit as well?
    Also , what pressures are you running, a little lower as no chance of a pinch flat ? or up around 100 for a balance between grip / comfort /speed?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Still carry a tube etc , it would be silly not to
    Pressure for me about 70-80 as roads here can be a bit rough

Haze

Do you all still carry a tube and patch kit as well?I

interested in this too, I’ll be in the market for new road wheels next summer & considering a tubeless option.

Is it easy enough to get a tube in there if the sealant fails, or do you patch the tyre?

Kuco

I’ve got 23mm Hutchinson Atoms, were a complete bastard to get on never struggled to get tyres on before. Only used them a couple of times so can’t really comment on them yet.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use tubeless tyres on their road bike?’ is closed to new replies.