• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by skids.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone use Readly for magazines?
  • wwaswas

For £7.99 a month I read:

MBUK
    WhatMTB
    MBR
    Rouleur
    Car
    Classic Cars
    Classic and Sportscar
    Mini World
    Classic Car Weekly
    Car Mechanics
    Autocar
    What Car
    Classic Motoring
    Autosport

plus a number of American car and bike mags.

And 4 other members of my family all do the same with stuff they’re interested in.

My question is how does anyone other than Readly make any money out of this product?

Have I missed something about their business model?

shortcut

I have Readly and will admit I am impressed. I have no idea how anyone makes money though.

gobuchul
    Free Member

It does look interesting. Do you download them or do you need an active connection to read them?

I have no idea how anyone makes money though.

I guess not many people would spend more than £8 per month on magazines and a lot are owned by the same companies, so I guess they aren’t really losing revenue?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

You can either view them in ‘real time’ or download to the device and read offline.

All back issues for at least a couple of years are available for most of them too.

Ads always seem to click through to the advertisers site if you hit them so maybe they get revenue from that too?

The interface is pretty good too.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I like the idea in theory….

But like when i tried Stw on my iPad….. I don’t want to read a magazine on a tablet.

Works for some i guess. But i also don’t buy magazines too often as i don’t have loads of interest in stacks of adverts and thinly veiled adverts dressed as articles.

Coming round to the idea of kindles now though – wife got a paperwork for her birthday and it’s streets ahead of trying to read on the iPad or her previous Kindle fire.

mattwilliams84
    Free Member

Yep, I’ve used it for a while now.

I used to subscribe for 14 days via the app store but when the price went up, contacted Readly who suggested I subscribe direct for £7.99/month. Quick, effective response from them and they seem to add new titles every month and tell subscribers via the newsletter.

Overall, I’m impressed so far. Service does one thing (magazines on a tablet) and tries to do it well.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I did the free trial but never took up a subscription.

The best thing I found on there was an American magazine for people who spend their lives preparing for the apocalypse. It’s all reviews of assault rifles and build-your-own-bunker articles. It’s awesome.

mark d
    Free Member

I just signed up for a free trial because I saw this thread.
    I often pay way over £8 a month on magazines, but have cut down considerably over the last few years.
    I would easily spend £100 a month on cd’s and almost same on bike and guitar mags.
    I’ve now gone to digital (Apple) for tunes, which is something I said I’d never do.
    I love paper magazines, but maybe this is the way to go.
    Trial for one month,

mav12
    Free Member

yep me too other half uses it as well on same subscription you can read them on a pc now as well,

Kuco

I’ve had it for a while and really like it. Only problem is I don’t get enough time to read all the mags. Use an ipad air to read on and don’t have any issues and iirc upto 5 devices can use one subscription so my sister and sister in law get to read it as well.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Just signed up for this.

Some pretty good stuff.

Some really weird obscure stuff as well. I reckon this bloke must be on here. Hipster beard and a custom axe for his wood burner fuel.

skids
    Free Member

I won a month subscription from a mcFlurry, if you read a lot of magazines it seems like a great deal

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use Readly for magazines?’ is closed to new replies.