Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone use montane (bike)waterproof jackets
  • robhughes
    Free Member

Any views on there reliability to stay waterproof.
    Constructed from Pertex?
    Cheers all..

oldgit
    Free Member

Had mine on all day today. Can’t recall what mine is? It’s not the ultra lightweight one. It’s cycling specific, but better suited to when you know it’s going to rain all day.

weirdnumber
    Free Member

I use a Montane Velo Featherlite and I absolutely love it. It has a really nice shape and cut. It’s not super waterproof (heavy thunderstorm stuff) but is great in the misty drizzle that I’m always exposed to in Manchester. It packs up nice and small so I always have it tethered to my backpack when I’m out or even clipped to a belt loop when I don’t have my backpack just in case (you never know if you are going to be stopped fixing something and be a bit exposed to a chilly breeze or something).

Longevity? Not sure, I have only had it about six months.

oldgit
    Free Member

It’s the Velocity. I’ve had it for one year. It’s the only weatherproof I have and it’s used on the road.
    I always seem to be dry when I get back, a bit damp but that could be from within.

jonba
    Free Member

The velo featherlite one is not sold as waterproof and isn’t but is great as long as you don’t expect to be out in heavy rai all day. Light drizzle/mist or the occasional shower it is fine.

I have a velocity DT which is a very nice jacket but I don’t like the cut of tharms much. Too baggy.

nickswolves
    Free Member

I have a Montane Dyno jacket which whilst is not 100% waterproof, the Pertex keeps a majority of the wet out with its water repellency coating – packs up small and is nice and soft too with good breathability http://www.montane.co.uk/products/men/soft-shell-and-fleece/dyno-jacket/255

robhughes
    Free Member

Cheers guys.It was just that i was in tk-max today and they had these
    for £70
    http://www.montane.co.uk/products/men/shell/photon-jacket/283
    For some strange reason they on one arm(Limited edition to support mountain rescue)
    So must have been why they were cheap.

anotherstan
    Free Member

i also have the Montane Velo Featherlite, had it for about 2 years. as said, not completely weather tight but packs up (very) small and works well in light rain/ showers.
    hth.

Haze

4 hours in my Velo Featherlite this morning, got home removed jacket and bone dry underneath.

Treat it right (handwash/Nikwax) and it’ll serve you well, doubles as an easily packable lightweight jacket for road rides…

Suggsey
    Free Member

I too normally use a velo lite jacket my main one is donkeys years old and faded and with some crash rips that only happened on big injury causing falls. Yep its not waterproof but is the most breathable jacket you can get and will withstand showers but even if you do get damp as its so beathable you will dry out really fast- just dont use it that way if you are miles away from a safe, warm place or dry change of clothes!!

Northwind

I’ve got a featherlite, it’s good for such a compact jacket- bit boil-in-the-bag, and not massively waterproof but it’s small enough to stay in my bag all the time, while my better waterproof is too big for that. And the Montane, in my bag, is a lot more useful when it starts raining mid-ride than the Altura, in the house.

IA

To echo the above, I love my featherlite velo longtime…several years and new zip and a re-proof later…still love it long time.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jeez do none of you lot sweat?

bigbloke
    Free Member

Funny this question has come up as i was looking at Montane today , i have an Altura waterproof but it is bulky in the camelbak so usually stays home plus if i do wear it i get wetter inside from sweating than wet from outside rain. I like the idea of a small light jkt i can just leave in the pack.

I know nothing about Montane stuff, which jkt is worth buying and how do they size up?

IA

Jeez do none of you lot sweat?

I find my featherlite pretty breathable, do you have the one with the vents or without? (mine’s the vented one).

I very rarely wear it with more than just a jersey under, long sleeve one maybe if it’s cool. If it gets sweaty off it comes and into a back pocket, but I rarely find it makes me sweaty.

how do they size up?

Oddly, try them on. I’m 6’4″ lanky, and the MEDIUM fits me! Perfectly too, arms are just the right length. Nothing fits me in medium, ever!

bigbloke
    Free Member

Just bought a Pertex jkt from Evans Sale made by Surface Clothing (Charge) for £26.99 ok its purple but i don’t care at that price.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/surface/pertex-jacket-ec022561

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

really like mine.. manc commuter all day everyday.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use montane (bike)waterproof jackets’ is closed to new replies.