Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone use "love film" ?
  • hitman
    Free Member

I was a member for a while and now thinking about rejoining. Does anybody use this service ?
    Also do you pay extra to rent Blu-ray discs?
    Also is there another film rental provider I could use or a better alternative?

Sugar2
    Free Member

No you do not pay extra for BluRay, however you hardly ever get them sent; I never seemed to get the actual top titles I wanted, just the ones I had padded my 'wants' out with. Got a 3 month and a month free, then paid for two months….could't be bothered in the end.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Same as Sugar here, it's very hit and miss what you get. I don't think we received many of the requests that we'd set to high priority, but lots of the low and mid-priority stuff.

DickBarton

Not long joined, but we don't watch enough tv/films to bother about what we get sent…not me that joined but my wife…she made a whole load of selections – in our excitement to get involved with Love Film we have so far had 2 films sent to us – in the last 9 weeks – so clearly we are heavy users of it all!

nuke

We do Lovefilm but via Tescos…we do 3 a month with 1 at home at any time. Don't have Sky and, given we have youg kids, don't get to go to the cinema very often so we quite enjoy it. It was a shame to find out you create a wishlist of 10 films and then get whatever is available but we do find we do get our highest priority choices more often than not.

We've follow a basic system for picking films: in the 'all time favourites' section if they score better than 70% we put them on the list. Its worked pretty well so far getting films we may not have considered watching.

vinnyeh

I had it for about 10 months- if you're like me you soon run out of stuff you want to see and it effectively becomes another tv channel full of dross. Watching tv series is a pain since they drip feed you discs, sometimes in the wrong order, and often the next disc is not available immediately, as said above.
    Torrents are a lot easier and more reliable for new movies or tv (am I allowed to say that?)

Having said that we had the last two films for nigh on 6 months without watching them before getting round to cancelling the service, and only had to pay the monthly subscription- no late fees, ever. D'oh.

stumpyjon

We've been using it for several years and are pretty happy. Started after we ditched Sky. We seem to get a fair selection of our most wanted films, just don't expect to get them the week they are released to DVD. We also use to watch a lot of the US series we lost after ditching Sky (which was a lot of what we used Sky for). Finished watching a lot of the Stargate stuff, Battlestar Galactica, now working through Bones. One day might try and pick up on Lost again. Great thing about watching series on DVD is you lose the adverts (20mins out of the hour) and can watch 4 episodes back to abck quickly so you don't forget what's ahppening and even slow moving series don't seem to drag (which is why we gave up with Lost).

hp_source

I've used lovefilm for about 3 years now, always found it to be very good, the trick with TV series' is to only ever have one on your list at any one time, they'll send the DVD's in box sets out in the right order, but if you've got for example CSI season 8 part 1 and part 2 on there they may send part 2 first if it's in stock as it's a different item as far as their system's concerned.

Films wise my account says I've had over 250 from them, no blu-ray player yet, but I'm sure the more recent releases will be well stocked in both formats.

Plus if you rent something and it turns out to be rubbish, I don't feel bad about stopping it, and sending it back unlike if i'd rented from a shop or bought it.

Gilles

Best place for me to rent arthouse movies compare to my blockbuster shop. And I do get a DVD which has been released the same week (like Young@hearts), just because it's probably not a popular choice. Nice to be different. And agree with the series point: no advert, no wait for next week episode, really like it that way. I just need to know which good series need to be watched.

nicko74

Yup, I've used them directly and through Tesco for about 4 years, and while the service is not always what I might hope for (they can be a bit tardy sending out discs, and haven't always sent out series in logical order), it's become a staple for me. I do occasionally have films sat at home that I really can't be bothered to watch, but I eventually get to them. And it's got me watching things I always felt I should, but hadn't got round to.
    I'm on the '3 films at a time, unlimited rentals) deal, £15 from Tesco.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Been using it for a fair while now and am liking it. 2 discs at a time, twice per month – it seems about right for our viewing habits. Got BluRay and DVD on there, and I tend to find you get BluRay faster and with less damaged discs than DVD 🙂 Damaged discs aren't a problem though, you just send them back and they replace it with another copy… still a pain in the arse though if you are kicking back to watch, or half way through 🙁

All in all, tis a good thing. Though I keep wondering if we should ditch it and go back to Blockbuster since we live in town again and have such facilities a 5 minute walk away. When we were out in the boonies it was absolutely perfect though.

wwaswas

this isn't what I thought this thread was going to be about at all…

daveb
    Free Member

Used it for about a year and it has always been a reliable fast turnopver service. The priority system doesnt seem to work very well and you cant say which film you want first which is a pain.

hitman
    Free Member

cheers everyone – think I'll try through Tesco

phiiiiil

In our experience if you put several discs of a TV series they have always sent them out in order and consecutively; at the moment we're half way through a series of Heroes so hopefully the next disc to pop through the door (tomorrow, hopefully) should be the next one along…

(Admittedly when my brother first joined he had "Night Watch" and "Day Watch" on his list and they sent them the wrong way round!)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use "love film" ?’ is closed to new replies.