Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Anyone use gaiters and boots in winter??
  • ton

for riding.
    a good set of goretex walking boots and a set of gaiters seems like a good solution to everyones ‘what winter boot’ question.

no?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

When it was snowy I used leather walking boots just to keep warm and dry. The pedal grip wasn’t great though because of the hard rubber soles and chunky cleats. And in snow drifts the snow got in. So I then wore gaiters to, and it was cosy.

wwaswas

Shimano do some ‘spd walking boots’ that might fit the bill?

ton

in theory, you could use a 5/10 type shoe with a waterproof sock and gaiters………..perfect solution.

cinnamon_girl

Are there any gaitors that do not have an under-heel strap?

bigbob38
    Free Member

One of my riding buddies turned up in some gaitors over his normal spd boots a couple of weeks back – he had warm, dry legs and feet! Been looking at neoprene ones online….just to reduce the ‘baggyness’…

elliptic
    Free Member

Mate of mine uses the Shimano “SPD walking boots” as mentioned above, plus some cordura ankle gaiters to keep the crud out. Seems to do the job.

Also, the redsocks see him as one of their own, so he gets pushed to the front whenever some diplomacy seems in order 🙂

Tracey

Gortex walking boots reshod with 5-10 stelth ruber and sealskin socks works for me

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I made up some gaiters last year out of off cuts of neoprene I had laying about. They run from mid-calf to the top of my Shimano winter boots and do a great job of keeping the water out even in the wettest conditions.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

elliptic: I thought I saw you’d gaffer-taped your sealskins to your legs!?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I used gaiters in the snow – worked fine. SPD shoes on tho.

loddrik
    Free Member

Use shimano mw80s with gaitors and waterproof trousers.

elliptic
    Free Member

Buzz – yup, done that 🙂

The trick is to use rubbish duct tape from a pound shop or somewhere – it hurts less when you peel it off…

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

Not walking boots but I put Inov8 gaiters over the top of Northwave boots.

gusamc
    Free Member

I use like this
    http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/outdoor-clothing/waterproof-clothing/new-british-army-knee-length-505294.html

but slightly more trendy. The ones I have, have a little slit at top and a vecro pull fit strap, totally waterproof thin enough to wear with normal socks, well over calf length so with long shorts you’re covered.
    Hunting/fishing/shooting shop somewhere.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Used to use ‘Yeti‘ gaiters yonks ago with Scarpa boots whilst stomping all over the moors…brills.

TBH I’m amazed that the industry giants haven’t produced a similar sole? The Scarpa has(d) a cut-out, approx. 4mm deep by 3 width, that the rand on the Yeti gaiter beds into + the under-sole fore-foot of the gaiter has a band that slots into a similar rung within the tread.

All you’d need then is nice Mr Gore to market a sexy pair of pac-lite gaiters….sorted.

billyboy
    Free Member

I’ve used Berghaus goretex walking boots (with waterproof trousers when it is wet) for ages during the harsher winter days. Works for me.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I wear hiking boots most of the winter. If it’s lashing it down I’ll have waterproof trousers on, but at other times I’m not sure gaiters would give much additional benefit, my boots are fairly high. In the snow last year I was wearing my B2 rated boots for biking 🙂

ir_bandito
    Free Member

In the snow last year I used some cheap (£7 from tesco) ankle gaiters over the top of my MT91s, with waterproof overtrousers over the top. Worked a treat.
    And don’t use shimano SPDs in snow – rubbish. Time Z controls worked fine, but I’m getting some flat pedals for this winter.

heihei

Gortex walking boots reshod with 5-10 stelth ruber and sealskin socks works for me

Tracey – this sounds a great idea. Where did you get it done, and for how much?

meehaja
    Free Member

I used to ride with a guy who rode in gaiters on summer as he didn’t like the brambles and nettles bashing his exposed shins. made sense but looked stupid. I guess it would work for winter riding, surprised no one makes winter riding trousers with waterproof lowers!

alpinegirl
    Free Member

winter riding trousers with waterproof lowers

You could maybe look at trousers designed for ski touring? I’ve used mine in the winter for biking. Mine are a sort-of lightweight soft shell material with waterproof fabric from the knee down. They also are double fabric at the bottom so one can go inside your boot/sock and the outer layer over. Some brands are quite narrow around the ankle.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use gaiters and boots in winter??’ is closed to new replies.