Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Anyone use Ergon grips to relieve hand pain?
  • disconoir
    Free Member

Basically I suffer really bad hand pain on long decents and last year in the alps had to stop regularly to relieve the pain. I’ve tried various grips of different compounds but never these ergonomic style grips like the Ergon GP1s as I’ve always been put off by their looks (shallow I know).

Anyone use them? Do they help? Any other ideas to stop hand pain?

Cheers guys

wwaswas

Two things;

1) they work for me

2) you can’t see them when you’re holding on 🙂

disconoir
    Free Member

wwaswas- which ones do you use, toying with the Ergons or the Syncros ones.

wwaswas

Ergon GP1’s – they’re not so chunky you feel like you can’t grip the bars easily but they give good support. Use them on all my bikes from 140mm full sus bike to rigid singlespeed.

Only real issue is if you’re someone who likes to drop their wrists when climbing – it makes it difficult/impossible (depending on the angle you have the grips).

globalti
    Free Member

They are excellent and they actually make you feel more connected with the bike.

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve always got hand pain on mtbs despite trying out just about every position, grip, etc. I just lived with it given that there wasn’t much I could do about it.

I got some ergons cheap at a bike jumble and I’ve found them great. Can’t say I notice them other than the almost complete lack of hand pain (which is a major improvement)

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Me & I think they are great, I suffer from hyper flexibility (posh term for double jointed) I can get tendinitis in my wrist as I flex then too much. They have offered my great support & stop me dropping my wrists

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Pain in your hands when descending is a classic sign of the wrong bar position, the bar is often tilted to far forwards or back, causing pressure points between your forefinger and thumb,also consider front suspension settings,(softer) tyre pressures(softer) and brake lever to bar position. hth

sweaman2
    Free Member

I have both the GP1 and GS1 on different bikes and wouldn’t be without them now. Strangely though can’t get on with the saddles at all.

TiRed

GP1 and swept back Soma Sparrow bars. Not had any hand pain. Shoulder and arm pain from honking the SS up big hills, but not hand pain.

Comfortable but an acquired taste, I guess. 47 cm bars and a 100mm stem if you are interested.

lump

….

selkirkbear
    Free Member

I bought a pair earlier this year as I suffer from Raynaud’s Syndrome, (blood stops flowing to the fingers and they go numb), and I’ve never been bothered with numb fingers since.

chrishc777
    Free Member

One of my riding buddies has some cheap spesh ones and gets on great with them, i went for lizard skins north shores which are extra chunky and releive the hand pain while still looking good

khani
    Free Member

Got the ones with the integrated bar ends on my rigid singlespeed and they’re ace, ugly as ugly can be..
    but ace.. 🙂
    My right hand is held together with wire and pins and since I fitted them, no more pain…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I suffered a similar pain, tried a cheap used pair, loved them an now have them on all my bikes.

jonnouk
    Free Member

I developed trigger-finger in my left-hand little finger. The pain it caused in my palm meant I would ride with my left hand on its side after 30mins. Ergon GP1s let me ride for hours.

The GP1s do feel a bit unwieldy when you are “on it” descending; your fingertips are caught on the flat section so you can’t get a full grip. It’s not a deal-breaker, just something to be aware of. I’m going to try GA1s for my DH bike.

doh
    Free Member

Been using a set of the specialized ones for years they work for me.

tk46hal
    Free Member

Well worth a try!
    I have them on my bikes!

disconoir
    Free Member

Excellent news – now which ones shall I get? The ergons seem to come in two sizes and a lot of people reckon the small ones regardless of hand size. I take a size large in Troy Lee gloves so I’d think the large were better?

beaker

Love mine as well! Well worth the outlay!

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I disagree. Used them for a while, but developed carpal tunnel problems. And they exacerbated the symptoms.

Back on round grips and much happier.

Good idea to find out what the cause of your pain is

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use Ergon grips to relieve hand pain?’ is closed to new replies.