Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone use an internally routed frame but route some cables externally ?
  • weeksy

May sound daft, but not sure i’ll bother running the cables for a front mech using the internal routing, i was thinking of just using some tape on the frame to protect it from rubbing and then cable tie the outer for the front mech a couple of times… Anyone else ?

coatesy
    Free Member

Looking at the horrendous routing of some internal cable designs, it’s something I wish I was allowed to do.

warpcow
    Free Member

I cable tied my rear brake hose to the outside of the frame cos I didn’t have a bleed kit to hand when I built up my bike. That was 2yrs ago and I still haven’t changed it (I also knew it was to be routed similarly to the rear derailleur cable, which was an absolute pita to fit).

molgrips
    Free Member

You are free to do whatever you want. I found my rear brake hose was too short for the downtube routing on the Trek, so for now I’ve ziptied it to the top tube, left a flexible loop around the shock and down the chainstay. Seems to work fine.

teamslug
    Free Member
    wors

~Going to do this on my Giant TCX, for some reason the rear brake cable never runs free, even when I have replaced both the inner and outer. So i am just going to replace them both again and cable tie it to the frame.

weeksy

Was looking at them earlier Slug, certainly an option.

weeksy

Still not done this yet but it’s getting serious consideration now. Is it a completely silly idea though ? Or have others done it ?

I think the process for me would be the Jagwire stick on ones as per above and route it all externally.

stevextc
    Free Member

Yep … on the T-130 I transferred the brakes off another bike and the rear hose was too short.. (if you remember the bike I actually stuck empty cables through the internal routing for now)

The XC bike I actually took “everything” off Ollie’s FS and stuck it on the XC HT and only changed the rear mech cable…. and stuck the XT stuff off my bike onto his FS.

*everything meaning brakes, mech, shifter …. basically I transferred the bars and everything connected to them.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use an internally routed frame but route some cables externally ?’ is closed to new replies.