Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Anyone use an Exposure Red Eye?
  • simon_g

I’m using a mk7 Joystick as my winter front commuting light which works great – keep it on low for the streetlit parts, whack it up to full for the lanes.

Saw the “Red Eye long cable” which looks nifty. It could save me another thing to charge (I do the joystick daily anyway), and I have secure bike parking at work so no hassles with removing and refitting. Anyone have experience of brightness etc, or how much it shortens the life of the light it attaches to?

c_klein87

i used to use one, but it rinses the batteries on my older expsoure lights so i stopped and now use a rechargeble Lezyne, it was bloody bright tho, and makes people think you’re a moped as it doesn’t flash, think i might dig it out again and use with my piggy back battery

medoramas
    Free Member

There is a chap I see sometimes on my commute. He’s got that light. Very bright, really cuts through on early morning winter grayness.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I use one with a revo and sp hub. It is very bright but have no idea of impact on battery life. It’s a solid thing and has been faultless in over a years use across a ‘range of weather conditions!’

Saccades
    Free Member

I use one with a Race MaxX2 (mk2 I think, so about 5 years old – before the strada existed anyways).

4x ~50-55min commutes with the Race maxx on Flash and the redeye on is where I’m currently upto. If I try a 5th run I get the red low battery warning after 20-30 mins. I use a helmet light for spot illumination of the road in front of me (moving to a joystick at xmas).

I don’t run with mudguards and although there is a bit of condensation inside the lense it is still working and it’s now 4 months old. Quick to remove although I’m unsure on the long term lifespan of the rubber/silicon strap thing (little hard to remove with gloves on).

It’s savage bright – good for the misty country lanes in the morning and pitch black at night.

Very happy with it.

scruff
    Free Member

I have the older one, its very bright but the new one with side view red-idge would be even better.Id hazard a wild guess at using an extra 20% of the front lights battery consumption. never had an issue with it in the rain or anything, only negative is a trailing cable, I have taped mine on to hinder thievery.

mintimperial

I’ve got one, it’s brilliant. Literally. Definitely get more space from cars when it’s on, I think they assume I’m a really slow scooter or something, and by the time they realise that they’ve just given a road-tax dodging, red-light jumping lycra-lout a civilised amount of room it’s too late, ha.

I normally run it off a Six Pack and it definitely runs it down faster than normal (although even on 12 hour night rides I’ve not managed to empty that set-up completely). I think it’d drain a Joystick pretty quickly, though. I can run it off a Diablo for about three hours on low/flash before the LED goes red.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Simon, if your looking for one I have latest version which I’m not using anymore.

Exposure Redeye for sale

simondbarnes

I’m using one with my Revo dynamo setup. Very impressed by the brightness.

woody2000

I use a red eye micro to supplement a fixed rear light, it’s a nifty little thing and very visible. Minimal impact on battery life too.

The-Beard

I use one too, have done for the past couple of years on my dark, murky rural commute. Have to echo the comments above, pretty much faultless. Very bright, minimal effect on main light battery in my experience and in the past 2 years it’s been 100% reliable.

johnnystorm

Again, I use mine with a Revo. A mate following was really impressed and said it completely outclassed the flashy light mounted above it.

mrchrispy

love them but they don’t have a pulse mode which is a shame.

I run 2, 1 on the bike powered via a Strada (need to tape the cable to the frame as it can annoy) and 1 on the lid piggybacked to a joystick.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have a couple on my commuter bikes. One old aluminium design and one of the newer plastic ones.
    Probably easiest for me to list the pros and cons

pros
    Very bright.
    Never really have to worry about battery life or charging.
    Well built quality light.

Cons
    Having an extra wire on the bike is a annoying.
    Time consuming to move to another bike.
    Angle is dependant on mounting position and not adjustable.
    Reduces front light battery run time time.
    Light stays on when front light is turned off (Very dim but still drawing power)
    No flashing option

Although that list seems more negative than positive I really rate the light and would highly recommend one. If you move your lights around bikes often I would look elsewhere but if you leave it permanently on one bike then there is no real negatives to having the wire. I use Velcro straps to hold the wire to the frame which work well and mean removal is easier than with cable ties. My one is probably 6 years old and the other 3 and I have had no problems with either.

Andy

drofluf
    Free Member

I’ve got one, only problem is that it’s too bright for group rides unless you want to sit on the back.

But at a more sensible distance it’s so stupidly bright that it dazzles the motons

STATO
    Free Member

They do run the battery down, say about 20% of the high run time. Brightness is worth it tho, superb (not blinding) rear light.

The latest version is the best (image above) as the lens is one piece, the previous 2 versions had a recessed lens which would fill with mud offroad.

My only issue is cable length, its a bit short to mount higher up the seatpose on Large and XL size MTB’s.

mintimperial

I use Velcro straps to hold the wire to the frame which work well and mean removal is easier than with cable ties.

I just wrap mine round the top tube in a long spiral up to the bars – completely secure, no rattling, takes seconds to remove. Unless you’re riding a complete gate of a bike I can’t imagine running out of cable to do this.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Use mine with MaxxD. No idea how it affects run time – if I need a light on the front I need one on the back…… Massively bright. Like Mintimperial just wrap cable round top tube: quick to on & off between bikes. Doesn’t get in the way.

somafunk

I use one connected to a small exposure battery pack that sits in a teeny pedros seat pack, I generally remember to charge it once a week, about 8hrs of back n’ forward to work riding a week and it’s not ran out of charge yet-very bright but diffused beam that’s safer than the usual blinding rear LEDs

GregMay
    Free Member

I have one, love it. Perfect for my daily commute.

simon_g

Thanks all – one for the Christmas list!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Real shame they don’t do one with a flash setting.

Quick question about the smart port. Could I somehow connect a Red Eye and a Support Cell battery to my Joystick at the same time? Do I need some sort of splitter or is there a pass through?

Also anyone know if it fits on the exposure seat rail mount?

somafunk

Extremely bright flashing rear lights are distracting to drivers and more of danger than an aid (my opinion of course), i have a slow pulsing not too bright rear light and my steady state red eye.

I doubt you could connect all three up at once, and it won’t fit on the seat rail mount, the clamp it comes with to go round the seat post is very decent and sits at a good angle (normal seat post angles).

ken_shields
    Free Member

I use one with a Maxx D and as stated above it can shorten battery life but is very bright.

Could do with an auxiliary battery sometimes

STATO
    Free Member

The redeye does fit the seat rail bracket (or at least mine does) bit the cable is far too short for this to be an option for me, tho this is on an XL frame.

Someone did a home brew splitter to run one battery into 2 joysticks, not sure a in and an out combo would be possible tho. May as well just run rear light of the separate battery.

mrblobby
    Free Member

If I’m having to charge a separate battery I may as well just get a TraceR I suppose.

Anyone know what the battery life is like on a Joystick with a Red Eye attached? Seen this in a manual…

Joystick with RedEye
    High 2hr 15min
    Med 5hr 30min
    Low 8hrs

Are those times realistic?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use an Exposure Red Eye?’ is closed to new replies.