Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • anyone use an Ayup Gecko light mount?
  • meeeee
    Free Member

Got a new helmet and need to remount my light. I’m looking at the gecko mount as would like to be able to remove it easily for daylight road rides.

What are they like, are they a pain to fit on helmets with lots of vents? How secure is the velcro?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I just fit the mounts with zip ties and leave them, all of 5g really

Burchy1
    Free Member

Yep i use one on a Giro Hex with no problems. Velcro is plenty secure enough and actually really useful if you clout the light off a low branch etc. The velcro lets go rather than pass the force through the light/helmet to your head/neck.

I pass the lead through one of the vents at the rear of the helmet and then up and out one of one at the top just behind the mount just to make it a bit more secure aswell.

meeeee
    Free Member

yeah i know i could leave it on. Weights not the issues – got a nice swoopy sleek new helmet with lots of vents and thought would be nice to have a mount i can quickly remove for the road, instead of having that odd bit of rubber sticking up like it does with my current ayup mount!

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Yep very good way of attaching, never had an issue with it coming off apart from what Burchy said about hitting it on something solid. Doesnt happen often though due to the low profile.

mrmo
    Free Member

I just have the Velcro dots on the helmet permentantly, never had the light come off, they are so light you never notice.

I don’t mount the battery as I found the weight annoying, instead I use the long cord they supply and put the battery in a pocket. .

JoeG
    Free Member

The gecko system is fantastic!

The only issue that I’ve had is getting replacement velcro dots of similar quality. They’re available from Ay Up, but shipping is a killer if ordered by themselves.

A new helmet meant new loop dots were needed. So I bought a bunch online, but they’d randomly peel off. I just ordered some more supposedly genuine Velcro brand, so we’ll see how they do.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Joe – I emailed them to ask if there was a way they could reduce the postage to a letter sized package instead of their standard delivery cost and they posted me out a set for free. Worth asking.

JoeG
    Free Member

treaclesponge – I might end up doing that after all. 100 new dots just arrived, but the adhesive doesn’t feel like it will hold. Maybe I’m wrong; will try them and see…

Between this and the previous order, I have enough velcro dots to last a lifetime! 😕

JoeG
    Free Member

The new Velcro branded ones seem to be holding. Made it through tonight’s ride; no peeling!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Mine and the wife’s work just fine. Two of my dots actually sit in the vent rather than on the surface and works well.

Two little tips, stick the Velcro to the gecko, then the gecko to the helmet.
    Second, make sure the soft half of the Velcro goes on the helmet otherwise your lid will snag the rest of your kit.

epicyclo

It’s a really clever system, and works very well. It’s one of the reasons I keep using my AyUps although there are other lights as good now.

As Onzadog says, make sure the soft bits go on the helmet!

Also spend time making sure your intended mounting is straight. A degree out becomes a real nuisance after a couple of hours.

JoeG
    Free Member

Two little tips, stick the Velcro to the gecko, then the gecko to the helmet.
    Second, make sure the soft half of the Velcro goes on the helmet otherwise your lid will snag the rest of your kit.

Onzadog speaketh wisdom! 🙂

micos145
    Free Member

We’ve been using ours for two winters now without any issues. Riding last week I noticed some feedback from my helmet and had to stop it had got so annoying. I was convinced the velcro had finally given up. My riding partner noticed I needed to tighten the battery holder strap. Job done.

Only irritation in two years use. We bought the two full set kits, still have a bunch of spares and it all looks and works like new.

epicyclo

Another tip. I make a little loop out of a ziptie at the back of the helmet. This is to run the battery cable through and stops it annoying me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘anyone use an Ayup Gecko light mount?’ is closed to new replies.