Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone use a Wingnut pack for Bikpacking/Bivvy Rides?
  • slparsons
    Free Member

I know about getting the weight off the rider on the bike, but I’m not struck on the long waiting times for delivery of the bespoke bikepacking bags and I’m not going the DIY route.

I’ve got a couple of Kestrel packs and don’t find them too comfortable on the bike (Fargo with drop bars)

Racks and Drybags don’t seem to be allowed, or is it just a fashion thing?

I have a Wingnut Hyper 2.5 for day rides which I really like; does anyone use any of the larger bags for bike packing?

I’m probably thinking of a Wingnut Enduro here:http://www.roughrideguide.co.uk/Enduro-colour-option-of-all-black-or-red-black.html

Cheers,
    Steve

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

If you want to stick a rack on Steve, put one one … there’s no rules. I use a Salsa minimal rack sometimes which is ideal for sticking drybags on. Is your Fargo a MKII / 2nd Gen? If it is then Salsa Anything cages might be worth a shot.

I know a few folk that have used the bigger Wingnut packs but they nearly always revert back to the Hyper 2.5 as it doesn’t feel like you’ve got a backpack on.

Bear Bones Link

Bear Bones Forum

zoota

“wingnut hyper 2.5” Camel back have something similer in there runners range, i think it even got a review this month in what mtn bike!
    Hope this helps

composite
    Free Member

I know the wait seems long but the sooner you take the plunge into getting a custom frame bag or big saddle bag the sooner you get some good luggage. You only have to wait once. I guess you might have been using your current setup for a while anyway? If so what’s another 6 weeks? I got a great saddle bag from http://bikepack.eu/

Personally I use a rack for commuting and if I was going to do some long touring 2+ weeks then I would probably use it. But for several night off road trips I think the extra weight (of rack and paniers) combined with it changing how the bike handles is not for me.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

I’ve used both the Hyper 2.5 and the Enduro for bikepacking in the past (though now carry everything on the frame). Both are good and far more comfortable than a conventional bag when you’re out for a couple of days. Even with the Enduro you won’t be able to fit in everything you need though. Works best in combination with a drybag strapped to your bars.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

And + 1 for the Anything cages: really neat solution and can fit anything up to a sleeping bag in them. I think Charlie the Bikemonger has in stock at the moment too.

slparsons
    Free Member

Hi Guys,
    I’ve got 2 anything cages on the forks for bivvy and thermarest etc, but am needing more capacity for sleeping bag and other kit.

I think I’ll go with the rack/drybag (as I already have both) option in the short term and perhaps place an order with http://bikepack.eu/ for a seatpack.

Cheers for the replies!

Steve

Mattie_H
    Free Member

A mate of mine uses something like an 8l Alpkit dry bag on the back: roll up and straps then fasten around the seatpost + a couple of compression straps to tie it onto the saddle rails. He seems to have it sorted and has never had any problems in any of the stuff we’ve done.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use a Wingnut pack for Bikpacking/Bivvy Rides?’ is closed to new replies.