Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone use a Straightline silent guide?
  • ti456neal
    Free Member

After breaking yet another top guide on my mrp lopes, I’ve been toying with the simplicity of the straightline silent guide. Reviews online are mixed, so I thought I’d put it to the stw masses!
    I’m running 1×10 on my covert for general trail/aggro duties. Bit concerned on the chainring sizing as I run a 33t ring, not sure whether a 32t version will work, or if I’d have to get a 34-36t one.
    I’ve heard they drag a bit once the sliders wear, but replacements are easy to find and dirt cheap, just not sure how quick they wear.

Any advice greatly received.

singlespeedstu

I’ve been using the 32 tooth version for a couple of months now and despite some propper shitty conditions it’s been problem free.

eskimonumber1

34-36t guide for me running a 32t ring upfront fine.

Fantastic no nonsense piece of kit and £60 at CRC at the moment.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 big fan here. You need to get the setup just right but then they are bulletproof. No drag to speak of IMO.

peasant
    Free Member

Had mine 1yr now no problems ,don’t know its there tbh

twohats
    Free Member

Been running one for 2 years with no issues or dropped chain. Never noticed any drag with wear on the slider and I’ve only just replaced the sliders, not because they’re worn but to match my new bike!
    The 34/36 guide used be sold as the 32/36 and will happily run a 32t ring, so a 33t ring will be no issue.
    Great bit of kit.

carlphillips
    Free Member

i have one set up for 32t on my 5, its fine and never had any problems.
    I had it on my 224 before hand and whilst being fine in the uk it dropped loads of times in the alps.

zangolin
    Free Member

2 years on the DH bike no problem – I would say you need a proper single specific chainring and one that is not worn. Take your time setting it up and getting the chainline spot on and they are really fit and forget once all that is sorted.
    Did have on on my xc bike for a year or so (32 specific), again fine with no chain dropping etc. What I did find was that on muddy trails with lots of fallen leaves the space between the chainring and the bash guard did become hard packed with mud + leaves on a regular basis. Not a major problem but did seem to make the drive train more of a dirt “magnet”. Have since switched over to an E-13 LG1 Trail device – bit lighter, but not as quite as the SL – but it does seem to keep the drive train a little more mud free.

As said before you will need the 34-36 guide.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I got the 32t version to maximise ground clearance, only ever dropped the chain in the boot of the car with the rear wheel of, not sure how it does it but its never done it on a trail.

kayak23

Anyone know if the saint version would fit regular cranks(cheaper). I believe the new saints have extra thighs tabs.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use a Straightline silent guide?’ is closed to new replies.