Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Anyone use a Rab vapour rise flex jacket?
  • mrhoppy

I’m looking for something to use when it’s chilly and damp. I don’t like using a full hardshell as I tend overheat.

Anyone using a the vapour rise flex got any thoughts as a biking softshell or anything comparable that works well?

househusband
    Free Member

Not the Flex but my regular mountain biking jacket for this time of the year is a RAB VR Lite jacket. I’m really impressed with Vapour Rise and sold most of my Paramo stuff off as its just too hot and I don’t do anything that would really need it.

I’ve got two VR jackets and two pairs of VR trousers; on the lookout for the Flex vest as I reckon that could be immensely flexible with arm warmers for cycling.

BadlyWiredDog

Yes. I use one for running and biking. About perfect for running on Peak moors yesterday, temps a few degrees above zero, but I run quite hot and it has non-insulated side-panels. The VR Alpine, which used to the VR-Lite Alpine I think, is maybe better if you run cooler and has a hood too.

Really hard to second guess how warm people run, but I’d say Flex if you’re someone who steams even in low temperatures. Alpine if you run a little cooler. Both work fine under another layer if it gets proper wet/cold.

on the lookout for the Flex vest

I found the cut of the VR Lite vest was a little loose and flappy, don’t know about the Flex version, but maybe see if you can try one on before buying.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mduncombe
    Free Member

Rab VR is pretty much my go to clothing for any outdoor activity. I have the Alpine lite for general hill walking, the guide jacket and trousers for winter walking and skiing or ski touring as well as an old smock for sea kayaking.

For mountain biking I use the lite smock with the stretch side panels.

Vapour rise is great if you run hot and perfect for damp drizzly or light rain days in the uk hills. In the summer I throw a montane featherlight a windproof over the top and in winter a lightweight waterproof like the montane minimus when it gets really wet. Actually I hardly ever wear a traditional hardshell any more.

Vapourise isnt the most water resistant, nor is the most windproof but most people get too hung up on staying dry, staying comfortable is more important and VR does a great job for any high energy activity. Dont judge VR by how it feels in the car park waiting for your mates to finish fannying around, judge it when you have worked up a head of steam on the hill.

Base layer choice is important, dont try and use merino directly underneath, a more slippery synthetic base layer works best. you want to move moisture away from skin as fast as possible, not collect it like merino does.

stevemorg2

I’ve got a flex vest – great top but ATM I’m glad of the extra warmth from my vapour rise smock

noltae
    Free Member

I dont have a vapour rise flex but I would love one – they look great bits of kit .. RAB stuff rarely disappoints and is relatively well priced ..

benp1

Alpine lite here. Excellent bit of kit, so breathable. Only wear a waterproof when it’s raining properly

Baselayer choice important. Only wear synthetic or mesh underneath

Have also been out in a powerdry baselayer and a woven, non membrane softshell, also good

The only problem with the VR stuff is it’s warm, but it’s excellent

claudie

I have just returned mine. I thought it was perfect for breath ability and comfort but after about 10 commuting rides of about 40 minutes each, the back started to pile up and small holes were appearing. My osprey synchro back pack only weighed about 3kg. I have been refunded but I have asked rab for their views as I really liked everything else about the jacket – I will post back when I hear from them

orangeorange
    Free Member

Just bought the Rab Torque stretch softshell and first impressions are great.
    I know it wont be completely waterproof but its ideal for what I need it for

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Had a look at ultimate outdoors last night some good deals on rab gear, picked up the flashpoint jacket for £99 delivered, considering the torque softshell great price buts its very orange
    The Ventus zip at £35 looks a bargain too
    Flex jacket is £55 too

househusband
    Free Member

Just received yet another VR jacket to add to the collection; a nice orange flex from Ultimate Outdoors for £50..! Has a nice fit, slimmer than my other VR jackets, so should be more ideal for cycling.

vincienup
    Free Member

It’s a popular choice.

My best ever MTB jacket is a Montane Alpine Stretch softshell – a size up from normal. It’s been replaced by the Dyno Stretch.

footflaps

Currently 30% off at Trekkit…

http://www.trekitt.co.uk/29263/products/rab-mens-vapour-rise-flex-jacket-beluga.aspx

Was looking for a review and came across this thread!

Think I’ll pass, it looks too close to the Arcteryx Atom SL, which I’ve already got.

epicyclo

I use a standard VR jacket in winter. Done about 8 ‘Puffers with it.

Almost all photos of me on the bike show me with the arms pulled up to the elbows and the zip halfway down, so it’s warm. 🙂

Like mduncombe I carry a Montane Pertex windlayer to chuck on top if it gets really Baltic or starts to rain. Seems to work ok.

Really severe cold and I wear a gilet.

And on very rare occasions it’s cold enough that I can wear a Buffalo System 6 – usually for kneedeep stuff round the back of the mountain with the fatbike.

Alpha1653

Just bought a Vapour Rise Alpine jacket for the grand total of £27.50 thanks to winning a £100 Cotswold voucher from Badger Beer and applying MOD discount on top. Can’t wait for the postie…hopefully it’ll be as good as I hope!n 😀

mduncombe
    Free Member

Couple of tips.

Wear something like a Helly Hansen lifa underneath rather than something like merino wool. Apart from the merino snagging on the arms when you put a vaporise on it seems to work best with a really good wicking base layer.

Its not waterproof but seems to keep me comfortable in most conditions. In strong winds it can be on the cool side but I run hot and once on the move things get better.

Really cant remember the last time I wore a full own waterproof shell.

steezysix
    Free Member

Try wearing nothing underneath, especially in warmer temps – the mirco pile lining is fantastic at wicking sweat away. I’ve been livin in Norway this winter and using mine for commuting by bike and xc skiing, as long as you’re active you’ll stay comfortable. Colder than -10deg and I’ll add a thin baselayer, but this sort of garment is designed to work best on it’s own.

Don’t take my word for it…

whitestone
    Free Member

Last Sunday I was using a Paramo smock over a t-shirt in -10C when walking round town and I was acceptably warm. I took the jacket with me when riding in case things got really cold but didn’t use it as I could (just) keep warm at -16C with long sleeved thermal, Altura light cycling top and a Haglofs windshirt over the top of all that. I tend to be quite warm when on the move but cool rapidly.

BadlyWiredDog

Try wearing nothing underneath, especially in warmer temps – the mirco pile lining is fantastic at wicking sweat away. I’ve been livin in Norway this winter and using mine for commuting by bike and xc skiing, as long as you’re active you’ll stay comfortable. Colder than -10deg and I’ll add a thin baselayer, but this sort of garment is designed to work best on it’s own.

Or the mesh-type string vest Brynje base layers work really well, partly because when you need to vent, you basically expose lots of bare skin.

On a tangent, for colder conditions, the Rab Alpha Direct jacket is just brilliant. Same sort of principle as Buffalo pile/Pertex stuff but not as insanely warm and appreciably more breathable. It’d have to be very, very cold for me to use it on the bike though.

mduncombe
    Free Member

I have tried mine without a base layer but found the chilling effect from a stiff breeze to be much more noticeable but it does certainly feel nice against the skin.

dragon
    Free Member

I have a RAB Vapour Rise pretty disappointing really, stitching fell apart under the arm. It’s fine for walking, but I wouldn’t use it cycling, far to hot and baggy. The inner liner is also annoying, as other note above.

TBH probably better off buying a micro fleece and Pertex type windshell and then using together. Cheaper & more versatile, with no performance loss.

Alpha1653

Which vapour rise jacket do you have dragon? RAB make various versions in a variety of material weights with some more robust than others.

Alpha1653

Oh, and points noted in the base layer thing – I run fairly warm so I reckon a short sleeve helly should do the job.

dragon
    Free Member

Mine is one of the older ones the ‘ normal’ original type one. Its been replaced by a Haglofs synthetic insulated jacket for cold weather and a cheap Regatta soft-shell for spring through to autumn and I prefer both over the RAB Tbh.

Swayndo
    Free Member

I’ve been using a Vapour-rise smock as my winter bike top for maybe 10 years. Only ever wear a merino t-shirt under it … a long sleeved one for extreme cold. Most versatile and longest lasting bit of bikewear I own.

mduncombe
    Free Member

Lets see /walks into gear room for a quick stock check…

Original Rab Vaporise (full weight) jacket: No idea how old, still in one piece with some balling on the outer fabric. Very much the dog walking jacket these days.

Full weight Vaporise smock (blue) with stretch side panels: at least 6-7 years old maybe more, used for sea kayaking in winter under drysuit, some minor balling on outer fabric.

Vaporise Guide Jacket, heaviest lining of the lot, with loads of pockets and features, winter mountaineering/skiing jacket. Maybe 3 years old still like new.

2 x Vaporise Alpine Light Jackets. One for warm spring skiing and the other for general 3 season hill use, both a few years old no problems. My go to jackets for hill walking.

Vaporise lite smock, with stretchy side panels. cool weather MTB (10C down to around freezing) use, 3 or 4 years old I think, no problems with it at all. Worn with either long or short sleeve. If its sub zero I swap to a old full weight Paramo Velez.

Vaporse lite waistcoat, stretchy side panels, an extra layer for any activity, often gets used on the road bike as it rolls up small enough for back pocket of jersey.

Original Vaporise trousers, full weight too baggy for even hill walking, very flappy in the wind. used under drysuit for winter sea kayaking only.

Vaporise guide trousers, winter hill walking/climbing/ski touring. My go to snow trousers.

Vapourise lite trousers, like wearing pyjamas, good for drizzly, will it wont it rain hill walking conditions when you cant be arsed to put waterproof trousers on and off.

Have yet to wear out or damage any of it.

I think its fair to say I like Rab vaporise 🙂

claudie

I need to edit my comment from above, it was my back pack that caused the damage to this jacket and two others. So sorry Rab for questioning your quality, I think the flex is just about perfect in terms of breathability and fit

Alpha1653

Looks mduncombe is keeping RAB in business!

Picked up the vapor rise alpine jacket today. Fit is the best of any jacket I’ve had (skinny body, long arms)…I reckon it will quickly become a favourite. Not bad for a total cost of £27.50!

Alpha1653

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use a Rab vapour rise flex jacket?’ is closed to new replies.