Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Anyone use a kickstand?
  • Royston
    Free Member

Looking into getting a kickstand for my ‘Kona Sutra’ and would appreciate some advice/would like to hear peoples experiences and recommendations.
    Which is best a single straight adjustable wand type arrangement or double (A-frame style)?
    Chain stay mounted? or behind the bottom bracket (or are both mounting set-ups feasible (i.e two) if the bike is fully laden with F+R panniers?

cheekyget
    Free Member

My son uses one…it’s on his splesh 20″ hotrocks….

You’ll be down with the 8 year olds….ha ha ha 😆

Onzadog
    Free Member

I noticed a mount on the drop out of my tripster that I think is for a kickstand. Never seen a kick stand to fit it though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i would if i could fit one.

the dutch are not completely mad.

Royston
    Free Member

@ cheekyget
    Haha! My son also has one on his 24″ GT Aggressor perhaps I’ll nick it off him?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Always use them on my motorcycles. No use on a soft surface.

TimP
    Free Member

I have one on my Ute. An “A” stand one in the middle which is not wide enough so it is very unstable and will fall over with just 1 empty pannier on it. Want/need to get a wider one now I use it for the school run

trail_rat
    Free Member

the pletcher double leg one was the only one i found that worked with panniers – doesnt work with my road rat though 🙁

Speeder

My wife’s Dutch bike has one and it’s great, I have to leave mine against an object but she can just leave it free standing wherever.

Go for it.

medoramas
    Free Member

I’m sure they are worth checking out!

TiRed

Double-legged Esge/Pletcher is the only choice. If you are going to use a stand, use a proper one.

Mine has held up the kiddyback tandem for many years and served as a stable platform to mount two children and luggage before riding off. It also serves as a workstand. Not the lightest, but by far the best.

Measure the legs five times before you cut them to length 😉

DrP

I have one on my Ute. An “A” stand one in the middle which is not wide enough so it is very unstable and will fall over with just 1 empty pannier on it. Want/need to get a wider one now I use it for the school run

In a similar boat on my minute..It’s fab – I just stand the bike tehre and go.
    until it blows over.
    Or my son tries getting on it…
    Or it’s on grass……

What wide one are you going for Tim?

DrP

simondbarnes

I have one on my e-bike. It’s very similar to the twin leg Pletscher – both legs fold up on the same side of the bike. Thinking of getting one for my Tour de Fer.

tom200

What’s wrong with a wall/log?

MarinNo8
    Free Member

Another Ute user here with the same problem. Getting the two girls on the back is quite tricky to say the least so will be following this with interest.

scotroutes

The ones that fit at the chainstay/seatstay junction are very good. We have some on our Trek hybrids and the customers love them, especially if using panniers. I reckon I’ll try one on my Amazon

martymac

i have one on my ebike too, it bolts onto a mounting point there.
    i would have scoffed when i was younger, but when the bike is fully loaded with camping gear it makes life a lot easier.
    mine is a single leg type.
    EDIT: fits on rear dropout.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Alternative idea.

I keep a small section of inner tube as a strong elastic band round my run(front brake) handlebar. Hook it round the lever when stoped and it stops the front wheel rolling out when leaning the bike up.

TimP
    Free Member

Dr P, not sure yet. I took it to the Dutch bike emporium at the back of Brighton Station, and despite having hire bikes with 2 different types of A stands and another type on the bikes he sold, he could offer me no advice on them. I also dropped an email to Practical Cycles I think a while ago, but whoever it was never got back to me. It seems to be a common Ute issue but I couldn’t find out what anyone had used to get over it. My Xtracycle only had a side stand and that was fine, but I am not sure it bolted through the middle like the stand on the Ute

robdob
    Free Member

My Genesis TDF has a dedicated mount for a kickstand, still haven’t bought one yet!!

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I keep a small section of inner tube as a strong elastic band round my run(front brake) handlebar. Hook it round the lever when stoped and it stops the front wheel rolling out when leaning the bike up.”

And when theres nothing to lean it up against- only windows with do notlean bikes here signs and no room to lay it down – what do you do ?

MarinNo8
    Free Member

I can see what you mean TheBrick but it’s not really a solution for getting too juniors or a full pannier on. The Ute seems to be really unstable if it’s not parked up on flat even ground or if the weight distribution is not even. Had considered fitting a second single leg stand to the rear.

headfirst
    Free Member

bookmarked

bruneep

the dutch are not completely mad.

Are you sure about that?

STATO
    Free Member

Have a Velo Orange porteur (double leg) stand on my tourer/shopping bike. Makes loading up panniers and handlebar basket a doddle when shopping. Weighs more than the core of the sun tho.

Linky

TimP
    Free Member

Weight is not an issue when it comes to the Ute. They are the best part of 40lbs naked, but with panniers, me, children, additional seats, pads, bars etc they weigh a lot more than that!

DrP

Well..I’ve just bought a Plecher double leg thingy for the wife’s pretty Pendleton bike as the cheapo single leg stand was really unstable, and her bike has fallen over countless times and bashed in the basket!
    Will let you know how we get on whence it arrives..

Still no progress on my Ute!

DrP

munrobiker
    Free Member

I have yet to find one that is any good, mostly because they’re essentially pointless.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I have yet to find one that is any good, mostly because they’re essentially pointless.

On a MTB or road bike that just gets taken out and ridden I’d agree.

On a commuter or tourer with panniers and frequent stop/start and on/off they are a revelation and I wouldn’t be without mine.

DrP

I agree it’s bike/use specific – on my work bike, where I pootle around the village, “tinging” my bell and healing the sick, I wouldn’t be without my stand.

On my SS MTB – pointless…!

DrP

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I use a Trek/Bontrager kick stand.

I found it useful and haven’t put down or leaned my commuter/toy yet.

Mine is bulky but there are lighter versions.

Wouldn’t use it on my road or mtbs for street cred’ lol

My hack winter toy has this stand:

Also a bell that pedestrians like lol

bikeneil
    Free Member

What’s wrong with a wall/log?

How would you mount them to your bike?

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use a kickstand?’ is closed to new replies.