Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone use a HTC One M8/9?
  • Kahurangi

What are they like? Seems like the only Android phones that aren’t silly bit or low-spec but have expandable memory.

The One M8 is a couple of years old but should still be a good phone.. but has a pair of 4 mp cameras instead of one good one! I assume you get some cool gimmicky stereo/3D modes at the expense of a good quality sensor?

What puts me off the M8S or M9 is that the last HTC phone I had seemed awfully bloated for an Android phone. Even worse that the Samsung I had before. Is this still the case?

Mackem

I have an M8 – I really like it. Doesnt seem to be much bloatware, but that’s down to the service provider. The camera does me for snaps, but then I use a proper camera for proper photos, if you know what I mean.

Cougar

I’ve got an M7. Does the job, can’t fault it. Contract ended recently and I got a sales call asking what new phone I wanted; I said “I’m quite happy with the one I’ve got thanks.” Then he asked me which new SIM-only deal I wanted, I told him to leave that alone as well, as the tariff is lower than anything else they currently offer. Happy camper, I’d have another Mx if it dies.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve had an M8 for quite a while now and I’m really pleased with it, I looked at the M9 specs a while back and couldn’t see enough difference to make it worthwhile changing.
    I looking at the price of M8’s this morning (for my daughter), the best I could find was £295 from Handtec for a M8s.

Duffer
    Free Member

I’ve had an M8 for the last year. I really like it, except for the fact that it’s dead.

Last week it stopped recognising the SIM card. A quick Google suggests this isn’t an isolated incident. Took it back to the shop, and they suggested it’s probably uneconomical to repair.

Cougar

If it’s a year old, you should be able to get it repaired under warranty. 2 year EU guarantee on electrical items, and still in contract so should fall into “reasonable” as far as the CRA goes (up to six years).

jools182
    Free Member

i’ve got an M8. I like it

I too decided to keep it when my contract ran out and went sim only

The deals on EE are frankly rubbish on new phones, and the M9 isn’t different enough to warrant an upgrade

I think the new HTC One is out April/May time

Kahurangi

Thanks for the replies. I do like to carry a proper camera but as I don’t always have it with me, a good camera phone is nice to have. The slight bump in processor (and ram?) from the M8 to M9 is probably not worth the money agreed.

Also, I saw the HTC release cycles are April/May but really fancied something before Easter so might see if I can get a deal before the new one comes out.

PePPeR

I use an LG Gflex but their range uses the similar chips to the HTC phones, but cost far less and are expandable!

Duffer
    Free Member

If it’s a year old, you should be able to get it repaired under warranty

I did think that. However, the guy in the shop identified a tiny dent in the back (it’s made of really soft ally) so thinks that the manufacturer will simply try and blame me.

I’m going to retrieve all the data from it and send it off anyway. I’ll have the option to say no if they try and charge me for the repair.

cp

but has a pair of 4 mp cameras instead of one good one!

More megapixels does not make a better camera. HTC were sensible and limited the megapixel count but used the same size sensor as others, hence less noise when taking pics in darker conditions. They should be praised for it, wish they still had the balls to do it.

HTC software is a bit bloated.

Motorola moto x play is a great phone with a very unaltered android experience. Or the Moto g 3rd generation, the 16gb one has 2gb ram and is plenty speedy.

enfht
    Free Member

A recent auto update on a user’s M8 killed Exchange syncing last week, turned out to be a known issue currently under investigation so HTC is a bit of a swear word for me ATM.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use a HTC One M8/9?’ is closed to new replies.