Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone use a Gore Alp-X for Road Riding?
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Morning STW,

Been looking for a new Autumn/Winter jacket for a while now, and finally have found something that meets my, admittedly stringent, criteria in the Gore Alp-X as it has:

Back zip pockets
    Chest zip pocket
    Windstopper (not fussed about waterproof)
    Black.

Thing is, it is billed as a MTB jacket, so wondering if it will be any good on the road? As failing the Alp-X, the only other Gore Windstopper jacket which comes close is the Contest, but that ain’t got no back zips.

Cheers.

aP
    Free Member

Why would you need zip pockets for road riding? The whole point of having pockets on the back is to make it easy to get at things whilst riding along not as hard as possible.
    It’s a jacket, it’ll be fine, obviously you’ll also need to wear peaked helmet, baggies and mtb shoes as well.

boblo
    Free Member

Jamie, isn’t the Alp-x Active Shell? it’s their pukka waterproof isn’t it?

If it’s wind stopper you’re after, I have a Complete and a Tool and use both on the road and MTB. AIUI, the main difference between Road and MTB as far as Gore is concerned is cut.

<edit> scrub that. I see they do Windstopper and Active Shell versions now. The Alp X used to be their waterproof shell.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    theroadwarrior
    Free Member

I have the alp-x so jacket and use it more for road riding than mtb. It’s really light and not too warm which for me makes it great on the bike. It really cuts the wind down

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I use the tool jacket for winter road rides. Very warm with just a base layer and very similar pockets I believe.

pedalhead
    Free Member

The Fusion AS is worth a look too. I use it on road & mtb as it’s just about small enough to fit into a jersey pocket if the weather improves.

MussEd
    Free Member

I have worn my Alp-x about 4 times. Twice off road, twice on my commute. You won’t die on the road * disclaimer – you might if involved in a collision. It’s a really waterproof jacket, you can wear them on or off road.

Ps if you’re not fussed about brand spanking new I’d sell mine? Emails in profile if you’re interested – black XXL but more like an XL, as new condition never been washed in detergent.

njee20
    Free Member

Sounds like you’re talking about the Alp-X SO, not the waterproof?

I’ve got a Phantom Plus from a few years back, and the thing that stops me using it on the road more is that it has one big zip pocket, so all your stuff rattles around. Far nicer to have multiple pockets, not fussed by zips at all, you can carry more, and its more comfortable. If the Alp-X has multiple pockets it’ll be fine.

FWIW I have an Alp-X waterproof and wear it once a year at most, wear it off the bike far more!

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s a jacket, it’ll be fine, obviously you’ll also need to wear peaked helmet, baggies and mtb shoes as well.

Well of course.

Why would you need zip pockets for road riding?

Was considering using the jacket for running, with sleeves zipped off, so being able to stop things bounce out the pocket would be handy. Not essential of course. I probably should have said multiple pockets as opposed to zipped.

Sounds like you’re talking about the Alp-X SO, not the waterproof?

Yup, that’s the one.

Ps if you’re not fussed about brand spanking new I’d sell mine? Emails in profile if you’re interested – black XXL but more like an XL, as new condition never been washed in detergent.

Cheers for the offer, but looking at small/medium. I have tried a Contest jacket on and small was bang on, but have read the Alp-X SO might size smaller, so might need a medium.

druidh
    Free Member

If that’s the one with the zip-off sleeves then it is a great jacket for road and MTB. It is obviously a slightly baggier cut than a full-on, fitted road jacket but don’t rule it out on that score. The zipped pockets are very handy for carrying the sleeves 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

If that’s the one with the zip-off sleeves…

It is 8)

What is the sizing like, Druidh? As mentioned above, I fit fine in a small Gore Contest, but have read the Alp-X SO sizes up a bit smaller.

druidh
    Free Member

I do a medium top in all my Gore stuff but a Large in that jacket. What I did find with the Alp-X is that the sleeves are very slim cut (or maybe it’s just my guns).

Jamie
    Free Member

(or maybe it’s just my guns).

*swoon*

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use a Gore Alp-X for Road Riding?’ is closed to new replies.