Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone use a dashcam?
  • ineedabeer
    Free Member

As the title says do any of you peeps use a dashcam in your car? Thinking of buying one can you recommend one for less than £100

popstar
    Free Member

Mini 0803 from eprance. Non gps with sd card costs around £80. Ambarella 7 chip dishing out 2400×1300 , night time footage is good enough, daytime footage is excellent. Using it on daily basis 10 hours per day, still goes strong for a year … did cook one memory card due to protected files malarkey.

These days there are mini 0806 which is even better, not sure about reliability though.

Latest GoPro uses A7 chip to record HD, same as mini … you won’t be disappointed with had quality.

downshep

Use a VIRB for road bike, mtb and car. Positioning the flat adhesive mount at the top edge of the windscreen keeps the camera hidden behind the interior mirror and out of my line of sight. It works well and records Reg Nos clearly enough, should that ever be required for evidential purposes. It has filmed a few idiots but nothing worth taking further. Nice to have it just in case that ever happens.

robware
    Free Member

I’ve used my SJ4000 as a dashcam. Need to get a window mount, the type with a generic video mount screw, but they’re cheap enough.

It has a car mode which makes it behave like a dashcam. It also comes with an open mounting case (excellent for recording your new Celine Dion cover) which has that generic video screw hole, hence the generic mount. Its small size also makes it easy to stash.

Muke
    Free Member
    chewkw
    Free Member

Friend paid £139 – £139 for Nextbase 402g which is good but I just find the price a bit too expensive.

For the same/even better I would go with Mobius HD. Yes, it does not have the GPS etc but it is small and not obvious to be seen when using. The recording is very clear even in the dark.

I have yet to order one as I am messing about with other things.

Jason
    Free Member

I have been using a Möbius for about a year. It is hard wired into the car and tucked up at the top of the windscreen, and it is tiny so very hard to spot from outside the car. Turns on with the ignition and constantly records. I have been very pleased with it.

CountZero

I think you can get phone apps that do similar, but my phone in its case is too big, and the Nite-Ize Steely dash mount won’t let the camera see through the screen, so I’m thinking of looking into a dedicated camera, just in case of idiot interface. There was one in the paper the other day, with motion start and GPS for not too much money, I think the paper’s gone in the trash, sadly. 😐
    Ha! Google found the cheap one, £19.95, from Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boriyuan-Vehicle-Camera-Recorder-G-sensor/dp/B00MA6D0N6
    This one I think has GPS as well:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mio-Mivue-518-Driver-Recorder/dp/B00TOFYAWQ/ref=pd_cp_computers_1

Frankenstein
    Free Member

My old iPhone 5S does the job.

CountZero

Frankenstein, that’s fine, but a dedicated dashcam, mounted behind the rearview mirror, can be left in the car permanently, you really wouldn’t want to leave the phone in there.
    I could use my old phone, but I’d have to carry two phones, or keep putting the old one in the glove box, and I can’t be arsed.

ineedabeer
    Free Member

Plenty of food for thought so to speak I ever thought about using my phone!

z1ppy

Helped the FIL fit a Blackvue system, not cheap but a front & rear system that is quite subtle

scotroutes

Phone works for me. The dashcam app does background recording so I can still play music, use the Satnav, use it in hands-free mode etc.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use a dashcam?’ is closed to new replies.