• This topic has 27 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Tim.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Anyone use a Brooks saddle?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

How are they? Are they worth the extra outley in terms of comfort snd build?

jahwomble
    Free Member

Don't know……but I've been thinking about one for a week or two as well. That's not really much help is it?

ton

shit offroad, ace on road………..eventually 😉

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

I've been using a brooks B17(narrow)on my hardtail for a few years now.once they're broken in they really are very comfortable,and when they are polished up they look devine

just for comparison – prior to the brooks i'd been using a spesh BG (still do on the ss and road bike) , even had my bum measured to make sure it was the right size. It was quite comfy but doesn't even come close to the brooks.

I've tried a number of saddles over the (too many) years and only thing that came close was an SDG bell air (one with the tiger skin)

I had a brooks on one of my bikes when i was in my late teens early twenties and i seem to recall i only changed it due to peer pressure as everyone was getting gel saddles and flites etc.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

totally disagree that they are sh@t off road. only thing i would say is that if you are going out on a particularly long ride in poor conditions i'd get a saddle cover to protect it

ton

stan, they get wet from water thrown up from the rear wheel, which soaks the underside untreated leather, and makes it sag.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

ayup tony – thats what proofide (or whatever its called) is for and i usually have a mud guard on in the wet

clubber
    Free Member

Just can't see the point. They're comfy when worn in but no more so that more modern ones that fit you, cost loads and are relatively fragile irrespective of what some people say and require maintaining. Yes, I've had one.

Oh, I suppose they look nice in a nichewhore/old man kind of way.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

horses for courses . can honestly say that after the frame its my favourite piece of kit

ton

old man……..old man, you cheeky geyt clubber. 😉

they are very comfy tho.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

'kin 'ell-old man !!! just cos i'm a grandad

clubber
    Free Member

Well I was thinking more the stereotypical country vicar on his Pashley Gents but now you come to mention it…

😉

ton

lol, we are both grandad's tho, so i suppose we fit the brooks image, eh stan?? 😉

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

don't tell anyone – but i've taken to using a carradice barley saddle bag too.

anyone seen my slippers ?

clubber
    Free Member

Over there, next to your pipe and mug of Horlicks.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

cheers clubber – night night, and god bless,my old love.

_tom_
    Free Member

They look absolutely shite.

catfood
    Free Member

Got one on me Pashley, lovely and comfy from the very first ride home from the shop, sit up very straight tho which supposedly helps with comfort. I doubt Id go for one off road, they like to be kept dry.

BruceM
    Free Member

I have recently bought a B17 Titanium on my bike, its by far the comfiest saddle iv ever had and has been since it was first put on. I haven't needed a break in period, although I imagine it may still get better:)

Ton has a very valid point though, they are widely considered to be susceptible to the wet.

Proofride is not designed to make the saddle completely water proof.
    Personally i plan to change the saddle on wet days, and i carry a plastic bag and string to put over it if I ever get caught in the rain.

If you can find a modern saddle that is comfy for you, great-get that.
    I failed to find one though.

Since buying the B17 Titanium I've put a B17 Std on my 2nd bike and a B17 Std S on the GF's bike(it was buy one get one half price at halfords).

They are very heavy compared to modern saddles as well. Mine also squeaks something terrible;P

midlifecrashes

Have one on my old skool (531) Super Galaxy, over twenty years old and comfy as a comfy thing.

Pogo
    Free Member

I've got a B17 Standard – very comfortable and a carradice cadet saddle bag, and I'm not even 40 yet!!

Add a bit of style and class to your bike, get one!

pitduck
    Free Member

very comfy on or off road,and here`s an idea ton, proof the bottom as well. 😆

Waderider
    Free Member

My MTB is fine with a Brooks, just needs a crud guard to be sure. As I've always had one fitted Brooks or no Brooks that is not a problem for me.

I haven't had a Brooks die of rain yet, and my oldest was bought in 1988. Just don't leave a Brooks saddle equipped bike lying out in heavy rain, and apply proofride occasionally, top and bottom. I've never added a plastic bag or any similar bodge while actually riding the bike. That would seem silly. And I do ride in all weathers (in Scotland, for months long tours in dire rain). If a saddle does get any water in it be sure to let it dry slowly – no applied heat.

There are only three reasons for not using a Brooks a) you can't afford one b) you don't want the weight c) you don't like the look. Because other than that, they are the best saddle you can get.

trail_rat
    Free Member

loves me brooks – work well off road too but you do need to nose them down a bit

firestarter
    Free Member

Got a b17 narrow on my road bike lovely it is too. Wouldn't put one on mtb tho

clubber
    Free Member

There are only three reasons for not using a Brooks a) you can't afford one b) you don't want the weight c) you don't like the look d) you don't see any benefits but can see disadvantages

Fixed that 😉

nunuboogie
    Free Member

B17 on my commuter took a while to break in but really comfortable now, was debating getting one for the mtb but not sure how it would stand up to mud ect. Also don't know if I could do the whole break in again!

Tim
    Free Member

I love the idea of a non-wet weather friendly saddle in the UK 🙂

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use a Brooks saddle?’ is closed to new replies.