Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Anyone use 23mm through winter?
  • scandal42
    Free Member

Just wondering if people use 23mm through winter as it looks like I might have to due to clearance issues.

Purchased some lights and guards last night in prep for some riding over winter and could do with some pointers on decent tyres in 23mm to get me through.

Any personal thoughts on tough 23mm tyres for the winter slog?

aP
    Free Member

Yes. Have done for nearly 20 years.
    Currently our favourite reasonable reliable tire is Continental GP4 Season, with Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp Quattro as a faster alternative.

redddraggon
    Free Member

When I was a serious roadie, I rode all the while on 23mm even for commuting. My ribble just about took 23mm with guards.

Never had an issue tbh. I never longed for wider tyres.

Jamie
    Free Member

I used 23mm on my Defy for the 2 years I had it. Fairly racey tyres as well, and never felt it was an issue.

…and some of the country roads near me are rubbish.

mooman
    Free Member

Yes. They slide as good as any 28mm tyre on wet/Icey roads..

cp

They aren’t 23s, but I’m very impressed with my conti gp 4 season. Very grippy even in slimey sludge, quite amazing how much you can push them on wet slimy roads.

hilldodger
    Free Member

23mm GP4s saw me through last winter, last road bike I had “back in the day” was 19mm all year round 😛

scandal42
    Free Member

Super, thanks for the quick responses.

All the articles I have managed to find online almost make it sound like instant death is inevitable if riding in winter with anything less than a fatty setup.

lunge

I have done, they’re fine. Schwalbe Durano’s were my go to winter tyre in that width.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

23 all year here as well. Never had a problem.

breadcrumb

I managed to only just squeeze some SKS Chromoplastics on my Langster with 23s, did me fine last winter.

trambler

Yep, only had one off last winter, but that was sheet ice and would have been the same result with any tyre.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

The new Panaracer Gravel Kings come in 23mm, these look very interesting for as a winter tyre.

http://road.cc/content/review/135369-panaracer-gravel-king-tyres

monkeychild
    Free Member

Yup never had a problem on my Defy for the 3 1/2 years I rode it (only size I could use guards with).

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve never ridden any other road tyre size, on account of my frame not having the clearance.

I don’t skid in summer, I don’t skid in winter either – no fuss.

I have a policy of not road riding on untreated roads when it’s icy though – but I don’t think 25mm tyres would make any difference there.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

23s have been fine for me in the winter too. If you’re out when it’s proper cold be *very* careful – ice will put you on your arse in the blink of an eye

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Never ridden anything but 23s, winter or summer. GP4000S at the moment.

My frame only just clears 23s as it is!

skiprat
    Free Member

On a quick hijack, is it worth going fatter if you can?

I need some new tyres for my Defty (currently on Giants own 25c) and i have plenty of room for them or i think even 28c. Are there any benefits i may see from going for 28’s over the 25’s i have?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Every winter for years now. Never used anything else. Though I do use 25c on the fair weather bike!

nemesis
    Free Member

If you’re out when it’s proper cold be *very* careful – ice will put you on your arse in the blink of an eye

It’ll do that whether you’re on 23s, 25s, 28s or as I’ve found out in the past, big fat mtb tyres…

23s all year round for me. Considering a switch to 25s now that you can get decent tyres in the larger size but that’s for speed, not grip.

ahwiles
    Free Member

skiprat – Member

Are there any benefits i may see from going for 28’s over the 25’s i have?

generally, you’ll notice an improvement in comfort* more than an improvement in grip.

(*but only if you drop the pressure a bit)

i don’t notice that i’m any slower on bigger tyres, i do notice that it’s much more comfortable.

skiprat
    Free Member

Thank ahwiles, sounds like it could be what i’m after. Speed is not really the issue, more making do with pretty crap roads!!

egb81
    Free Member

I have completely slick Specialized 23mm on my winter bike. Came a cropper on some cobbles once but I think that would have been the case regardless of the tyres.

woodster

I’ve used 23mm with no issues year round for ages. This year I’m on 21 tubulars and had a couple of sketchy moments but no real issues so far.

I always loved my Michelin Pro 4s which took so much abuse and yet had plenty of grip and speed.

freeagent
    Free Member

As others have said – if the road conditions (or your riding) is going to put you on your arse, then an extra 2mm of tyre isn’t going to make much difference.

I use 25’s on the summer bike (Giant Defy) and currently have 28’s on the winter Hybrid, however they keep puncturing, so might swap to the same 25mm Gatorskins as the summer bike at some point.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use 23mm through winter?’ is closed to new replies.