Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone use 1Password from agilebits?
  • somafunk

Anyone?……. I had a look through my little book of passwords, yeah thats right i’m a luddite…… i admit i have a little book on my studio desk with all my passwords carefully written down and it’s getting out of hand, i have 5 pages of almost indecipherable squiggles and many passwords are re-used for the more common sites i visit as….well it’s easier to remember them ain’t it?.

The agilebits 1Password program seems like the ideal solution rather than continue to use my drunken scribblings on a tea and red wine soaked pad, from reading the reviews it appears to be well regarded and it could work across all 3 of my fanboy mac products (laptop/iphone/ipad), is there any downside apart from the price?. At £34.99 it’s not that much to secure my life and passwords – at a rough count i have over 120 passwords etc, dating back to 1997ish.

Cheers,

torsoinalake
    Free Member

KeePass and LastPass are also worth looking at.

I guess it is just the access across multiple devices that will be the decider.

cynic-al
    Free Member

different passwords for when security is important (bank, email, whatever).

Then same one for all the other sites.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

My bosses both use 1passwords and rate it very highly. I use LastPass which is free/cheaper and seems to work just as well, but I can’t really compare them as I haven’t used 1password.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

…and how does it rate against Apple’s own iCloud Keychain?

somafunk

It is the access across multiple devices that has drawn me to 1Password rather than keepass/lastpass, and i admit the interface is also a consideration – i don’t use iCloud or any form of cloud data storage and the Keychain app doesn’t look quite as polished.

Hmm, ?

soundninjauk

I use 1Password. I like the access across multiple devices, and the fact that you can sync it with DropBox to get it anywhere. iCloud keychain is fine, but it does restrict you somewhat if you’re on a computer that isn’t yours, or isn’t a Mac.

I use it across 2 Macs, my linux work laptop, plus wherever else I need it that has an internet connection via DropBox.

chvck
    Free Member

Just for note, lastpass is “cloud” password storage. So, you can access your passwords from anywhere with a browser and t’internet.

sturmeyarcher

+1 for 1Password here. Only used it for a couple of months but no quibbles so far and would rate it good value.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

LastPass has apps for Windows Phone, Android and iOS devices, as well as access from their website if you’re not at your usual machine, but the app (on WP7 atleast) is a stand alone browser and not a plugin like on a pc or mac which is a bit annoying. Still very good for the money.

Sandwich

! Password user here, the browser plug-in is very helpful as is the generator. You will need the programme if you use the generator as it throws up some random stuff. Sometimes the coding at a website will not allow automatic fill and submit or it tries to get you to sign up again (Twitter, that’s you that is), manual copy and paste for those ones.

danielgroves
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be without 1Password now. Use it to manage all of my passwords, and have the Mac and iOS apps. Something like 280 accounts in there at the moment.

Browsers extensions make it very slick to use on Mac, and the iOS app isn’t bad at all either; although there are a couple of improvements I’d like to see to the iOS app. They encrypt all your data (256-bit, IIRC) as well, it’s nice to have that extra layer of protection (I wouldn’t use it if they didn’t, actually). Not used it on windows, but I can’t recommend it highly enough. Been using it for about five years without any issues now.

Just for note, lastpass is “cloud” password storage. So, you can access your passwords from anywhere with a browser and t’internet.

Just so others knows, you can also do this with 1Password. If you sync using dropbox, you’ll find an index.html file in the 1Password folder. Open this up via the dropbox website and you can login to an interface similar to the desktop application to access all of your passwords.

retro83
    Free Member

KeePass 2 for me, free and open source is a winner for me for small security critical apps.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use 1Password from agilebits?’ is closed to new replies.