Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • anyone upgraded Ayup lights (through Ayup)
  • meeeee
    Free Member

Got a set from 2007, and as i need a new helmet mount am thinking of getting them upgraded.

Did you go for the 40% brighter upgrade, or the normal one, and what are they like.

Whats the best beam pattern to go for with the upgraded ones as a helmet light – i have a bar light already. Current helmet one is a narrow beam, but wondering if i go for brighter ones to get the intermediate.

If you got the 40% ones are you now using a 6hr battery with them?

Finally anyone know what the difference between the B2000 battery and the Epic one is?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I got the best available in 2012, the battery life is a bit shorter but it always exceeded the run times anyway.
    Pattern still good, weight exceptional 🙂
    Not up there with the mega lumen war boys but they still work really well.

meeeee
    Free Member

mike – have you got the narrow or intermediate beam on your helmet?

jimw
    Free Member

I don’t think they are doing upgrades at present.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I went from a standard 2009ish set to a 2013 +40% set, based on the fact that I ride for 2-2 1/2 hours and have a spare small battery.

Turnaround was fast and handled in the UK, I got a new set back in a few days.

So far very impressed, love the light but as they state, it does hit burn time so I need to remember to flick them to the lower power, which was never an issue before.

meeeee
    Free Member

jimw – they arent doing upgrades to your existing lights anymore, but they now have a loyalty discount for existing customers on all the new kit so its about £45 instead of £65 for a new 40% extra power light head.

gravity-slave – are you on a narrow or intermediate beam for the helmet?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Narrow, I think. Would be tempted with intermediate for the +40 but for fast twisty riding with a wide bar light it’s great.

JoeG
    Free Member

I bought mine in the fall of 2011, the 40% brighter version. They are great lights and I really love them!

However, I don’t really think that they have improved them much if at all since them. LED lights are like smartphones; they are constantly getting better. Would you buy a 2+ year old design smartphone? A lot of the cheap Chinese lights are brighter and cheaper, now.

Late next summer, I think that I’ll look into whether an upgrade makes sense. If not from Ay Up, them maybe Trout or similar.

Edit – OP, how are your batteries doing? They’re old enough that getting new ones may be a good idea. They don’t last forever.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

ah that’s interesting, I will have a look, I was going to do the upgarde but left it too long. I actually want a set of the flood beam ones as I tend to prefer hill running at night to biking.

My current ones are the old 350 lumen or whatever they were

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘anyone upgraded Ayup lights (through Ayup)’ is closed to new replies.