Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anyone up for a ride in or around Northumberland tomorrow?
  • fuelie77
    Free Member

Hi I’m from Australia and am at the end of a holiday staying at my girlfriend’s place near morpeth. I was planning on riding up to John o groats and so purchased a decent road bike on eBay before I arrived but due to a multitude of reasons (predominantly the weather!) have not even been out for a day trip on it..
    So,
    would anyone have any suggestions on a good day trip to do?
    Or even better, would anybody like to join me?
    I have use of a car with bike racks and can also be picked up, so some ideas I’ve had so far:
    – a ride through part of the great lakes district
    – a ride to holy island / lindisfarne
    the above were straight riding ideas but someone also pointed out the number of pubs that exist in this country so as I also enjoy a drink I was curious if there existed a favoured route that involved a pub every 10 miles or so? (preferably not on a major highway!)
    Only snag is I only have wed and Thursday left..
    Richard
    – a ride along a route with some good pubs

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I was going to suggest joining us tomorrow night around edmundbyers and blanchland, but a road bike wouldn’t really be suitable.
    And i can’t get out in the day. Bloody work 🙁
    enjoy it though, weather should be good.

dickydutch

Im also bogged down with work, but if you’re after a decent road ride from the morpeth area, then you could do worse than heading out to Matfen and Stamfordham, before heading over to Newton in the tyne valley, crossing under the a69 (using the tunnel in the brockbushes garden centre) and heading through corbridge, over the river, left at the round about, follow signs for Prospect Hill. Climb prospect hill and head to slaley before working back to morpeth way. Loads of decent pubs (especially in Stamfordham and Newton). Not sure on what distances you were after, but theres loads of variations if you want shorter or longer. Enjoy it anyway. Shame youre not about on friday as Im considering taking it off when all my stuff is sorted and having a good ride out.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fuelie77
    Free Member

Sounds like a possibility, anyone interested?
    Distance is not an issue for me, anywhere between 50 and 150 miles sounds good, especially if spaced out between pubs 😉

bajsyckel

Based on your suggestions, I’d go for a road ride north towards holy island would be good. Assuming you start in Morpeth it can be done a variety of ways using mainly back roads at about 70 miles (one way). Check tide times though for crossing and maybe have some train times from Berwick or Alnmouth if you want to do a one way trip.

Basic route is towards netherwhitton, rothbury, thropton, powburn, (cross main road) eglingham, christon bank, newton by the sea, bamburgh, belford, (then a short stretch on the A1 is unavoidable with a road bike unless detour west of kyloe), beal, lindisfarne. A map would be necessary if you don’t know the area.

Alternatively, from powburn you can keep going north (rather than turn east) through chillingham or wooler (or both) and then ford, lowick, beal and lindisfarne. Or go inland for the route up, skirting the hills and come back skirting along the coast to make a nice loop. There are pubs in nearly all of the places listed (and some others you will go through).

Should all be pretty obvious with a map and the back roads are dead quiet, with very few big hills. From holy Island, if you want to get a train back, head north to berwick, and either side of the A1 you can find ways that will keep you out of the traffic – though with road tyres, to the west is probably the best bet.

[edit] and I’m working ,or else I’d consider it.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I used to live in Ashington and know some great routes on the roads:

Leave Morpeth on A197 North towards Amble, via LONGHIRST then follow B1337 through ULGHAM (pronounced ‘uffam’ ) 😆

Still on B1337 pick up A1068 to AMBLE.

From there you will be on the ‘Northumberland Coastal Route’ which could take you all the way up the coast to Bamburgh. There are a multitude of pretty coastal towns (lots with castles, we were nasty bastards all those years ago!) like Amble, Craster, Seahouses & Bamburgh and if you want to go further you could go to Berwick Upon Tweed and touch Scottish soil.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anyone up for a ride in or around Northumberland tomorrow?’ is closed to new replies.