Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • anyone tuned their rockshox lyrik (DIY)
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

my 2009 lyriks are rubbish. The compression feels rubbish and on most descents it feels like i’m holding onto a jackhammer. (previously had some a pair of lyriks that i sold that were like butter)

I’ve been trying to get a yellow spring for months now as i weigh 66kg 9i’m on standard spring) Some guy emailed me off pinkbike asked if i tried removing some shims or putting 2.5wt oil in?

So i did some digging out found this post

Tune Your Mission Control High Speed Shim Stack: How To Guide

I’m tempted to try this. Has anyone had any luck in tuning their lyrik’s?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I did the floodgate removal on my MiCo damper. Works well. Sounds like a spring rate issue with you though.

The MiCo works well when it’s setup correctly (and a lot better than the MoCo).

trickydisco
    Free Member

Also had the floodgate removed on mine. Very interested in this shim mod + putting some lighter weight oil in.

Or perhaps the damper is crap?

I had been looking at getting a pair of fox floats and selling these.

legend
    Free Member

2009 will be Motion Control rather than Mission Control wont it?

trickydisco
    Free Member

Ah maybe i’ve got the year wrong then because it’s got high and low speed compression + i had the floodgate removed

psycorp
    Free Member

Usually the oil weight is increased after a floodgate removal, it helps to reinstate the compression damping range that is lost in the process. From memory I eventually settled on 10wt in my Totems after i took out the floodgate.

Sounds like you need a lighter spring though. Are yours u-turn coil? i converted my Lyriks to fixed coil from u-turn, They feel more supple as the spring is linear rather than the progressive spring in the u-turn’s.

ico86

I always assumed that the difference between mission control and motion control was pretty stark once you’d got the compression damper out. if it’s the plastic swiss cheese holey tube its motion control, if it’s a more stumpy thin thing with a head at the bottom containing the shim stack etc its mission control right? Pictures would be useful but I’m at work at the moment.

I looked at this a couple of years back on my forks and now you’ve tickled my interest again ? My issue is that I’m in between medium and firm springs on my u-turn lyriks. With the current damper settings and the medium spring they’re really divey, even with max. LSC. With the firm spring and damping wound right to a minimum they’re just a bit too harsh and never get full travel. I’ve stuck with the firm spring for the moment as I prefer getting beaten up a bit but not diving. Lets assume the shim stack is as it came from the factory (big assumption I guess as its been to TF at least once), I could get at the shims but I’m not sure what I’d change to make it better.

Hmm, sorry for the slight hijack. I’m talking myself into sending them away again…

trickydisco
    Free Member

Sounds like you need a lighter spring though. Are yours u-turn coil? i converted my Lyriks to fixed coil from u-turn, They feel more supple as the spring is linear rather than the progressive spring in the u-turn’s.

Yep. U turn coil. I’ve been after a yellow spring for ages 🙁

I have the high speed compression dialled right out and they still feel bad

psycorp
    Free Member

Last time I checked TFTuned had stock of u-turn springs. you could try them but they’re not cheap though.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Last time I checked TFTuned had stock of u-turn spring

Nope. Asked back in January

Hi Gavin,

Sorry RS have discontinued those and we are all sold out now – so they are no more.

Ruth

psycorp
    Free Member

Only other thing you can do is get the part number out of the RS spare parts manual and do a google search. I managed to find a shop in Holland that had the original dual cam 20mm maxle in stock recently doing it that way.

jam-bo

Ive got a spare red u turn lyric spring knocking round in my tool box if that’s any good.

trickydisco
    Free Member

https://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/service/coil_spring_chart.pdf

Looks like i need 11.4015.097.000

Will keep trying pinkbike,ebay and here

trickydisco
    Free Member

excellent.. cheers

So no one has played around with the shims or different oil weights?

trickydisco
    Free Member

Sorry dredging up this one again.

Is it possible to remove the coil and replace with an air spring?

Northwind

I think not, in the lyrik- not 100% but I think the lyrik springs all use the stanchion as the outside of the air spring, and your coil will have scratched it. Certainly I was told once I converted my 2-steps to coil that there was no way back

It’s an old thread, but, you’re pretty much the same weight as me and I use a red. In fact I had a yellow for a while and found it hopeless, riding everything in the bottom of the travel. YMMV of course but I’m just a bit surprised you’re finding it a problem. (Rockshox do recommend yellow for our weight though)

Did you get the damper working how you like? It’s a great damper, mission control, very similiar to the damper used in the boxxer team and worldcup until very recently. Very powerful and transparent adjustment usually- it’s easy to set it up terribly to be fair because you have so much control. There’s a pretty good guide here:

http://www.sram.com.cn/sites/default/files/techdocs/missioncontrol_tuningguide_en.pdf

If you want to keep the damping identical when removing the floodgate you do have to change the oil, but I didn’t bother- I just adjusted to suit.

akira

Ueah I think you can go air to coil but not the other way for the above reason.

psycorp
    Free Member

It depends. Some lyrik coil forks came with a plastic/cellophane type insert on the spring side which protected the inside of the stanchion from the spring. If you have one of these, and its intact, then you may be ableto convert to air sprung. If not then as said above the spring will most likely have scratched the inside of the stanchion and the air spring assembly wouldn’t seal properly. You’d have to disassmle to check, obviously.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Did you get the damper working how you like? It’s a great damper, mission control, very similiar to the damper used in the boxxer team and worldcup until very recently. Very powerful and transparent adjustment usually- it’s easy to set it up terribly to be fair because you have so much control. There’s a pretty good guide here:

yea. I’ve tried all the settings. I’m starting to think the damper just isn’t working very well at all or oil has leaked or something? I had the floodgate removed and they were serviced by loco last year before going to the alps

Now on the lookout for a pair of fox 36’s

trickydisco
    Free Member

The reason i asked is someone on pinkbike reponded to an advert wanting asking if i wanted his air spring instead of getting a coil and swapping it

teethgrinder

Can always go Charger damper now RS are doing then got Lyriks.

trickydisco
    Free Member

the charger damper will fit the lyriks?

teethgrinder

They are bringing one out to retro fit Lyriks

Russell96

Converted my 2010 Two Step Lyrik Air to coil and I seem to remember removing a smegging great big air cartridge to fit the u-turn coil, so coil to two step air should hold no issues with inner stanchion scoring.

bigyim
    Free Member

I spoke to loco about mine and swapped the damper over which was an upgrade.

vinnyeh

I bought a DH damper from mountainbikes.net a couple of years back, they’re asking 100 euros for them at the moment- it’s got to be a bargain now with the exchange rate what it is.
    They’ve also got a “fast compression” damper, presumably a shop tuned version for 150 euro.
    Loads of good priced spares available as well.
    I see they’re also listing the Charger damper for 290 euro, though it’s not in stock yet.

trickydisco
    Free Member

It does look like a sealed unit so perhaps coil > air does work

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘anyone tuned their rockshox lyrik (DIY)’ is closed to new replies.