Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • anyone tried those kevlar brake pads from superstar?
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Phil – one of the weird things is people on here claim to be able to ride in the peaks and in other areas where many get the high pad wear right thru a winter without a high rate of wear. I have ridden in conditions and place where people get high rates of wear and not had it. I get the brakes on the tandem to smoking hot often – and the pads last many thousands of miles.

I did not mean to be slagging off Superstar pads – my comment about a weeks wear was meant in general. It was a stupid context for me to make teh point because of the history

I am astounded folk find this wear acceptable. It is clear to me from much reading, contact with the brake manufacturers and listening to the stories on here that this rapid wear is far more than simply the conditions or it would happen to everyone.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Toys out of pram!

🙄

toys19
    Free Member

Come on TJ tell us

a) what this magic effect is other than environmental conditions or usage?
    b) What Scientific, anecdotal or other evidence you have for anything you might want to say on brake pads.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

kevlar pads on my giant trance – hope M4's trail riding they'll last all year.
    kevlar pads on my marin quake – hope V2's DH riding. front pads lasted 1 week in the dry in alpe d'huez and les deux alpes (this past week)

so yeah i can confirm that depending on the riding they can either last all year or 1 week.

a friend who was possibly braking a lot more than me got half way through the backing on them in 5 days on the same holiday.

i really like them especially for the price n what not. only pads i buy at the moment.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

toys its pointless. You just want a fight. Nothing I say will satisfy you.

collecting anecdote from on here and other places. Knowledge of discs from motorcycles.

discussions with the manufacturers – yea really i am that geeky I emailed a couple to discuss

Reading around the journals – yes equally sad. I have not kept references but I did a lot of reading

Do you know about the boundary layers and effects and the adherent and abrasive friction? The effects of temperature on this?

The factors that affect wear include:-
    Type of use
    Riding style
    type of pad material
    Brake type
    Soil/ grit type
    outside temperature
    rain
    Disc material
    Bedding in

The key thing appears to me to be the temperatures generated at the pad / disc interface. it seems that this needs to be within a certain range for the pad to work as intended. Go outside this range and the pad material wears very quickly. Different pads appear to either generate heat differently or need different heat ranges. In winter in the wet some makes of brakes and some types of pads don't reach this temp when used in some riding styles hence the high rates of wear. other people using the same equipment on the same trails in the same conditions don't get the premature wear

I wonder if the alps high wear stuff comes from overheating?

I find this a fascinating conundrum hence have looked into it and puzzeled over it looking for answers.

Waderider
    Free Member

a years use is reasonable.

Further proof TJ spends to much time here dominating threads.

A set of sintered Hope pads on my M2's last me three months max. Obviously the miles and conditions are more important than the arbitrary time scale, but the point is this-

"TJ, stop dribbling on here, and go MTBing."

toys19
    Free Member

The factors that affect wear include:-
    Type of use
    Riding style
    type of pad material
    Brake type
    Soil/ grit type
    outside temperature
    rain
    Disc material
    Bedding in

I don't really want an argument I just want you to think before you open your gob, and most of what you said in the last post makes sense, why didn't you say it in the first place?

I know a fair bit about it, my good friend did his PHD with EFi who make EBC and a fair few other pads (or did might have gone bust now). I spent nearly a week reading his thesis and then a month or so working 9-5 researching the background of brake pad compostion and its effects on friction and wear for a project I helped write the proposal for and help manage when it eventually got funded. 5 years prior to that I worked on developing wear resistant low friction coatings for bearings in oil pipeline strings. When you want to make hard wearing low friction materials you quickly become familiar with the mechanisms of friction and wear. Have you ever used a talysurf, have you ever used an SEM to make stereoscopic calcs of surface wear, have you ever designed, executed and digested the results of 100's of wear tests?

I have done those things and I do not feel qualified to spout so accurately as you have on the topic of friction materials.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I just want you to think before you open your gob,

I wish I could!
    Just a tad patronising from you tho boy. 😯

and most of what you said in the last post makes sense, why didn't you say it in the first place?

It was – just in simpler form! Perhpas you take your own advice?

toys19
    Free Member

Just a tad patronising from you tho boy.

Ah well I think patronisation is what is required here, its no bad thing when a whipper-snapper steps out of line.

sv

I know a fair bit about it, my good friend did his PHD with EFi who make EBC and a fair few other pads (or did might have gone bust now). I spent nearly a week reading his thesis and then a month or so working 9-5 researching the background of brake pad compostion and its effects on friction and wear for a project I helped write the proposal for and help manage when it eventually got funded. 5 years prior to that I worked on developing wear resistant low friction coatings for bearings in oil pipeline strings. When you want to make hard wearing low friction materials you quickly become familiar with the mechanisms of friction and wear. Have you ever used a talysurf, have you ever used an SEM to make stereoscopic calcs of surface wear, have you ever designed, executed and digested the results of 100's of wear tests?

Yeah big deal – you have yet to email a couple of suppliers to discuss? Come on 😉

devs
    Free Member

Yeah so what? My mum knitted me this jumper. 🙂 I like SS pads. Now that they have sorted the backing falling off problem with an early batch, they're as good as anyone elses. Mine last 6 months or more but I'm a fat knacker who beds them in properly. I think that, as TJ has alluded to, these are factors in getting the pads to the right temperature.

toys19
    Free Member

you have yet to email a couple of suppliers to discuss?

Damn and suppliers never ever bullshit about their products to make the client feel good about themselves, so you can believe everything they tell you. Foolish me.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘anyone tried those kevlar brake pads from superstar?’ is closed to new replies.