Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone tried these Doval eliptical rings from ebay?
  • tommid
    Free Member

Anyone tried one of these? Any reviews words of wisdom? Fancy running one on my crosscheck winter hack/trainer?

I know the shizz about eliptical rings, wondered if these were any good..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261129460768?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

onandon
    Free Member

ive seen these on the bay and wondered the same.
    it’s a great ebay ad – but that doesn’t means its any good 🙂

crofts2007
    Free Member

Think they were called biopace back in the day.

GregMay
    Free Member

Think they were called biopace back in the day.

Not all elliptical rings are created equal. Very happy Rotor owner here, past Biopace, used Ocentrics, they are all different.

Not seen these before though.

100mphplus
    Free Member

I was pondering about them too for my road bike and spoke to my make who has eliptical rings on his xc bike.

He raves about the rings, BUT, to get the most benefit you need them on every bike you have as you have to ‘learn’ to pedal differently to maximise the advantage and obviously that won’t happen if you’re running normal rings on other bikes.

You may get some benefit, but not the full effect possible. He said not to bother unless you get them for every bike.

cynic-al
    Free Member

According to some on here ovalised rings are better.

Not seen any decent studies to support that.

duffle
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

According to some on here ovalised rings are better.

Not seen any decent studies to support that.

Thats all the studying thats required…………<hits buy now> :mrgreen:

GregMay
    Free Member
    cynic-al
    Free Member

Interesting – they work if you have bigger calves?

GregMay
    Free Member

Hah, and are a track sprinter riding very high power outputs. I have another paper in the lab from Osymetric, it was very in house, showed great improvements….not peer reviewed.

There are some on the rotor rings, just don’t have them to hand. Possibly reffed off Rotors site though.

jameso

Thanks for the link – at that price I’ll give them a go.

He raves about the rings, BUT, to get the most benefit you need them on every bike you have as you have to ‘learn’ to pedal differently to maximise the advantage and obviously that won’t happen if you’re running normal rings on other bikes.

You may get some benefit, but not the full effect possible. He said not to bother unless you get them for every bike.

I don’t really agree with that, I have a Goldtec oval ring on my SS and round on the geared bikes, riding 50-50 geared and SS at the mo but it varies. The only thing I notice is some increased efficiency in climbing and accelerating on the SS compared to a round ring, tbh it doesn’t feel a lot different most of the time. I can mash along with minimal supplese quite happily on either.. no adaptation to the pedalling seems to happen.
    Maybe I’m not getting the full effect but there’s enough of a ‘helper’ there for me to stick with them after a few to-and-fros between the 34T oval and a 32T or 34T round.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone tried these Doval eliptical rings from ebay?’ is closed to new replies.