• This topic has 104 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by cokes.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)
  • Anyone tried the Whyte S150 yet?
  • bentudder

I was out on Monday night with a rather quick friend who had a medium built up as a demo bike. I have a small ’14 T129 which I love to bits, so we stuck them side by side before riding to do a comparison. The wheelbase is about 5″ longer, angles and whatnot very different. The seat tube was a tiny bit longer than mine, with the same sort of standover. I am 5’7″ on a good day and probably would have got on with it just fine.
    I was on my hardtail so not a fair comparison, but it certainly seemed to make the trails come alive for my riding companion. We were both using Strava, so I checked: I set a couple of PBs on some stuff, and he had disappeared within 50 yards of anything pointing down. Normally I can keep up for at least 75 yards…
    Overall tidy complete bike that looks like fab vfm. Didn’t ride it, as flats don’t go well with xc geek SPD shoes. Hope that helps.

steveo1973
    Free Member

There will be some S150’s at the king queen enduro this weekend in pebbles/inners if anyone wants a closer look . Whyte are sponsoring the race and will have some 2018 bikes there. Not racing but might pop along and see in person what iam getting in november 🙂

niksnr
    Free Member

If Whyte sold Al frame only or did a spec similar to Works or RS in Al I’d have pre-ordered already. Looks like a stunning bike with all the traits I’m looking for apart from the frame material. Gutted.

mattr77
    Free Member

Don’t think they could do a frame only as the S150 is designed to work with the custom fork which has a different offset to regular 29er forks. I’m currently lusting after the RS carbon version.

mattr77
    Free Member

Also don’t think the AL version spec is massively different to the RS apart from carbon cranks and it has a revelation instead of a pike. The 2018 revelation has the same chassis as the new Pike but with a cheaper damper which apparently is easy enough to upgrade to the charger II damper. Still has eagle GX transmission and reverb stealth dropper…

mboy
    Free Member

Don’t think they could do a frame only as the S150 is designed to work with the custom fork which has a different offset to regular 29er forks.

They could… Transition and a few others all getting on the shorter offset bandwagon too for 2018, Fox certainly on ball already with shorter offset 29er forks available aftermarket.

The thing for Whyte is they’ve always majored on VFM as well as performance. They couldn’t be competitive on frame only prices, the fact they can buy OEM groupsets and finishing kits etc. at waaaaaay less than normal trade prices enables them to bring a full bike to market, with 12spd, RockShox suspension both ends and a stealth Reverb etc. for £2850, where they’d probably have to charge the best part of £2k for the frame only to still make much money.

For the manufacturers, the money is ALL in doing good deals on the OEM parts. How else do you think it all ends up on CRC/Wiggle etc. So damned cheap at the end of the year when they didn’t use all the parts they needed…?

mattr77
    Free Member

[They could… Transition and a few others all getting on the shorter offset bandwagon too for 2018, Fox certainly on ball already with shorter offset 29er forks available aftermarket.]

Fairy nuff….

gogsyboy
    Free Member

Should be getting the s150s in the next couple of weeks. Have to say, apart from the 170mm cranks, the spec. and geometry are perfect. Worst bit is going to be putting on the invisiframe, the temptation to ride it could be overwhelming!
    Comparing this to the Scott Genius, all is very similar except the Whyte has a lower BB and bigger stack. What does this mean in the real world?

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

[/quote]Whyte has a lower BB and bigger stack. What does this mean in the real world?

You’ll have more pedal strikes?

chiefgrooveguru

Should be getting the s150s in the next couple of weeks. Have to say, apart from the 170mm cranks, the spec. and geometry are perfect. Worst bit is going to be putting on the invisiframe, the temptation to ride it could be overwhelming!
    Comparing this to the Scott Genius, all is very similar except the Whyte has a lower BB and bigger stack. What does this mean in the real world?

Unless you have really long legs then 170mm cranks are a good idea – unless you’re suggesting you’d prefer shorter ones?

Greater stack height means you can’t get the bars as low, which could be a problem if you’re shorter. Lower bottom brackets are more stable, especially when it’s loose or steep, but harder to flick into turns.

You can only go so short with head tubes so your stack height on smaller sizes is basically fork length plus half the wheel diameter minus the bottom bracket drop. More BB drop thus equals more stack height.

bigjim

I have 34″ legs and 170mm cranks are too short for me, I ran them for about 8 months to see if they reduced pedal strike but it does feel pretty odd compared to 175m especially if you do quite a bit of climbing.

chiefgrooveguru

I have 34″ legs and 170mm cranks are too short for me, I ran them for about 8 months to see if they reduced pedal strike but it does feel pretty odd compared to 175m especially if you do quite a bit of climbing.

I have 33.5″ legs and 170mm cranks on one bike and 165mm on the other. You may need to go down a chainring size than with longer cranks due to the reduced mechanical advantage but that’s offset due to the greater ease of spinning faster.

jamesoz

Had a demo of the one with the carbon front end. The gears were awful, probably set up.

It was fast in a straight line but the large felt massive compared to my large Aeris. Didn’t feel I had a lot of stand over clearance, I had no peddle strikes but also only used half the fork travel and all the rear travel. Was a night ride so couldn’t tinker and the trails were tame.
    Aside from it feeling big, I had no qualms riding it quickly in the dark so it rode pretty well. I’m around 6″1 depending on the time of day.

gogsyboy
    Free Member

[Had a demo of the one with the carbon front end etc.etc.]

All reviews of GX drive train have been good, so not concerned here.
    I’m 6ft, 180 lbs, 33″ inside leg. Tried a large Stumpy and Remedy for size and found the cockpit very cramped. Sat on a Whyte T130 (2017) and found the reach much better. I suppose it’s what your used to, but the reach on the Whyte “feels” right. I’m looking forward to trying the s150s large for size, I do think it’s going to be right for me.
    I live in Kinlochleven, all access climbs are very steep, so it’s climb ability is very important, hence the concern with 170mm cranks. I think I may ask the lbs to put a 30t ring on the front for me to give me comparable gearing to my 22×36 hardtail setup (good advice chiefgrooveguru)

neilc1881
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/YkjNes]DSC_0766[/url] by neil.d.cox, on Flickr

Picked this up from EC cycles in Merthyr yesterday. First ride this afternoon, a short wet and rocky loop from home. Bloody loved it! Made the switch from a 2010 Five, so it’s a completely different bike to what I’m used to. Just blasts over rocky sections and is very sure-footed and feels much stiffer and stable than the 5. Will want a grippier rear tyre for muddy stuff (what are people running on a 29er of this ilk for winter?) but suspension setup felt great straight off, nothing altered other than pressures. The Eagle GX was a little notchy when shifting but I’ve been assured this settles down after first couple of rides. Didn’t notice the cranks at all, gearing was more than adequate, although I didn’t get onto the steepest climbs I think it should be fine. No pedal strikes, but again I wasn’t on particularly rutted trails.

ceepers

I demoed the carbon 5 grand one yesterday at haldon as well as the new g170. Did some rooty twisty off piste and some of the red descent on both bikes. Mate rode both bikes too and thought he was in the market for a 150

Both of us were a bit underwhelmed by the 150 (although I did hear others raving about the 150) I don’t have a 29er and I’m 5’7 mate does. It rode well enough but both of us felt it felt a little “tall” (this might be cos I don’t ride 29ers though) although it was composed enough and went round twisty corners fine. I wasn’t convinced with the front tyre either. It was heavier than expected for such a bling carbon bike too.

The g170 was a total monster descending though and pedalled / climbed really well until the rear tyre went down.

Of the two I’d buy a g170. Although it’s a lot of bike it didn’t feel like it smoothed the trail too much and really let me attack the more gnarly sections. Didn’t really seem to have a downside

jamesoz

My short review probably didn’t come across well. It felt a big bike to me, maybe I’d prefer a medium. I’m not somebody who agonises over geometry charts or numbers. It felt roomy but tall and handled well.

It rode well despite not being setup to my liking, soft rear shock compared to the forks and the gears overshifting. It climbed well and was fast. I’m not sure how much I’d like it on tight techy stuff, it might be great but i didn’t get to ride it on that stuff.

bigjim

I live in Kinlochleven, all access climbs are very steep, so it’s climb ability is very important, hence the concern with 170mm cranks

It’s not running out of gears that I didn’t like on 170, it’s the funny little circle you spin and the shorter leg movement, and your feet being closer together when standing, it felt like riding a kids bike. You might find it OK with shorter legs though, many do, also I ride 175 every day on my hardtail so maybe noticed it more than if you only ever ride 170

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Get a chainring a couple of teeth less to make up for the gearing. I’ve got some 165mm cranks waiting for my new bike build! The round of test rides I’ve done recently with these new long low and slack bikes have shown me the increased number of pedal strikes, so shorter cranks will hopefully help.

legend
    Free Member

bigjim – Member
    It’s not running out of gears that I didn’t like on 170, it’s the funny little circle you spin and the shorter leg movement, and your feet being closer together when standing, it felt like riding a kids bike. You might find it OK with shorter legs though, many do, also I ride 175 every day on my hardtail so maybe noticed it more than if you only ever ride 170

Given that your talking about a 5mm change, is there a chance some of this is in your head? I used to have 165mm, 170mm and 172.5mm cranks on the go without issue, and I’m generally shite when it comes to switching between bikes

bigjim

I can certainly notice it. 165 would be comedy!

kimbers

yeah I never noticed teh difference between 170 & 175 cranks, apart from pedal strikes

chiefgrooveguru

It’s not running out of gears that I didn’t like on 170, it’s the funny little circle you spin and the shorter leg movement, and your feet being closer together when standing, it felt like riding a kids bike. You might find it OK with shorter legs though…

As I said earlier my inside leg measures 33.5″ which isn’t short by any means. 170mm cranks on my full-sus and the toddler transporter, 165mm cranks on my hardtail. Everything used to have 175mm cranks. I’d say 170mm is probably optimal for me but I prefer 165 to 175mm.

You have to adjust your saddle height and possibly gearing to get the most out of shorter cranks.

steveo1973
    Free Member

Hi my delivery date for my 150 C RS was yesterday the 20th. Wasn’t expecting to hear anything as I have never had a bike delivered on time before so wasn’t expecting it now.Chapping at the bit though as I have just sold my other bike last week.Anyone expecting there’s the now heard anything yet ?

cokie

Enjoy! Photos when it arrives please 😀

10pmix
    Free Member

my C RS is en route from the far east, currently on schedule for an arrival date of 5th October. And then it will be off to Madeira on the 19th 😀

steveo1973
    Free Member

Well just picked up my medium 150C RS from alpine bikes can confirm it comes with a minion ss and not a crossmark 2 on the rear. Fitting new tyres and putting on a chain device and messing about with suspension/bike setup for a ride tomorrow. Will get some pics and hopefully post them up tomorrow night

steveo1973
    Free Member

Bit of an update its the R guide brakes and not the RS that come on it .And a oneup chain guide will not fit as there is not enough clearance with the swingarm to fit it.Will just leave that for now and maybe look into getting another type that fits in the future.On the plus side the tyres set up tubeless no problem at all.

Will report back tomorrow after the first ride with some pics.

steveo1973
    Free Member

Been a ride yesterday and bike is very good. Jumps very well and super stable at high speed. Took a little getting used to in tighter corner’s and think this was a mixture of things like the bigger wheels and a longer wheelbase than Iam used to and also not realising how much speed i was carrying till was practically on the turns !

That’s was in the morning and went back up in the afternoon and hit the same stuff again and got on a lot better when i controlled my speed into corners a bit more and put more weight on the front wheel. After that it was railing them. Very good bike every bit as good as the hightower I demoed last year. Maybe better even but will need more time on it to decide that anyway here is a couple of pics.

steveo1973
    Free Member

oikeith

got on a lot better when i controlled my speed into corners a bit more and put more weight on the front wheel

I found the same when I moved to a long travel 29er, you need to check the speed on the way in and then get that weight forward, once you get used to the speed its just how brave you are to chuck the weight forward.

gogsyboy
    Free Member

Got my large s150s yesterday, first ride today. It seems really BIG when sitting on it compared to my less-slack, non-Boost, shorter wheelbase 29er hardtail, however it rides really nicely. With boost and long slack geometry, it feels more like sitting on a motorbike! Do not be put off by the large feel though because when you’re looking ahead on the trail, it feels perfect.
    Slightly less efficient on steep tarmac than the HT, however with both shocks “locked” it feels similar with minimal bob (lost a minute over 15 mins with similar effort).
    Rough climbing ability is better due to smooth traction and little bob, shocks “open”.
    Downhill (Kinlochleven enduro territory) is unbeleivable, just smashes through everything, so smooth, so fast, so stable, so effing scary!
    Can’t notice a difference with 170mm cranks, GX Eagle is brilliant, could do with 1 more gear for the long climbs, although 32T stock chainring is manageable even for me.
    Just changed rear tyre from crossmark to a minion SS for a bit more security, lol.
    This bike is guaranteed to win all “long travel trail” awards for years to come, watch this space.

pb2

Very tempted by the RS but is money is proper tight so more likely go for the S. From what I can see the frame, brakes, forks and rear hub are different for a weight saving of 0.6kg which for a cool grand doesn’t sound like a lot of difference and most importantly the wheel set appears to be the same if you ignore the faster engagement of the RS rear hub.

An option is to buy the S and then save up and upgrade the wheel set, does anyone know the weight of the S & RS wheel set, if you do I would be grateful if you could let me know, thanks Paul

niksnr
    Free Member

Don’t mean to hijack this thread but has anyone seen the new Bird Aeris AM9? If anyone looking for similar geometry long travel 29er, in a material that’s not carbon and you can customise the build, it’s definitely worth a look!

Oblongbob

Got my C RS on Saturday and took it for a spin around ft bill. Shame the uplift was closed. Mainly on the world champs course, but also a big loop out on fire road to meet my brother in kind from the tour de Nevis. It was great. Really liked it. Had a really sore elbow which hampered the fun a bit, but was ok to get a feel for the bike. It’s an xl and was a bit worried it would feel too big, but it’s spot on. I’m 6’3 so I’m at lower end of the size range for xl, but seemed perfect, and reach felt right. 29er wheels seem proportionate to me and the bike. This is replacing my e120 that’s a bit long in the tooth, though I still love it. S150 doesn’t seem to lose out on the climbs to the e120, and the downs are obviously quite different. Wasn’t looking specifically for another whyte, but when the S150 came out it seemed spot on for my needs. Other comments?…2.3 maxxis tyres seem skinny, much narrower than 2.35 Scwalbes I usually ride. I’ll persevere with them. New pikes seem to be the business. It also looks great.

10pmix
    Free Member

Got my C-RS last week and it did 15 FoD uplifts on Sunday. Very stable and capable. Smashed the root sections and took the drops very well. I’m used to 29ers so the speed didn’t really surprise but the stability was next level for sure.

One thing is the Large comes with a really high dropper which means with the lowest the post will go I am still perched up quite high when its up and rubbing my backside on the tyre when it’s down. I’m 6ft tall. Odd.

Madeira at the weekend is the next test.

plecostomus
    Free Member

Seen a few of these now, but surprises how heavy the carbon models are +30lb without pedals

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Guy that rides locally has just replaced his escarpe with one of these, he seems pretty underwhelmed so far, early days though.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Had a go on one of these today, can’t say it left me wanting after. Lovely looking bike though and heavier than I’d hoped.

gogsyboy
    Free Member

“underwhelmed”,”can’t say it left me wanting”.
    MBUK just gave it 5/5, so I wonder who’s full of what?
    Just put a 29er 2.6″ Nobby Nic addix blue on the rear of my S150s (still good clearance), holy shit things are starting to get dangerously fast. Next wee upgrade for winter riding may be a 29er 2.8″ on the front if it fits. Anyone tried this yet?, looks like the clearance is there.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Anyone tried the Whyte S150 yet?’ is closed to new replies.