Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Anyone tried the Superstar oversize QRs (a la DT swiss RWS)
  • markyd

I have a set of the DT swiss 9mm and 10mm thru axle QRs but can't afford a second set for the spare wheels. I notice Superstar are doing similar but in normal QR style. Anyone tried them

toys19
    Free Member

Yes, to me it "seems" stiffer than a normal qr spindle and in theory should be better. Its a bargain anyway!

Shackleton

Yes. The 9mm one appears to work. I think it is just a re-branding of the one sold under the Halo name.

tinsy
    Free Member

I got a 10mm coming for my Saint hub, at the price who can grumble…

Looks very similar to the Fire eye on CRC at £15

cynic-al
    Free Member

Do none of them have a decent QR mechanism?

tinsy
    Free Member

What do you mean Cynic?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Like shimano – capable of being clamped up tight easily, not plastic/brass under alloy.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

clamps VERY tightly

Del

looks same as the one supplied with the on-one 456 hub too.

stumpy01

I'm waiting for SSC to get the front ones back in stock as the DT Swiss one on my Stumpjumper is doing my head in. It takes loads longer than a QR to do up, ad just isn't particularly user friendly.

Might have to look on the CRC site & see if that Halo one comes in red….

Macgyver

I had a NC17 version of one of those. Unfortunatly the lever folded and snapped on it's first use. I went back to the RWS but they are pricey.
    That said BC17 stuff seems to get good reviews so maybe I had one from a duff batch.

Leku
    Free Member

So could I use these with my QR Revs and Hope Pro 2 hubs? Would I need to get adaptors for the hubs?

firestarter
    Free Member

yes hope do the nine mil bolt adaptors thats what ive got

z1ppy

Leku, yes if you can locate the 9mm inserts for the Pro II front hub, Hope did produce some but the run seemed limited (ask a Hope dealer). I have a specialized 9MM bolt thru QR on a Pro II front hub (with the converters), and as mentioned it "seems" stiffer.

toys19
    Free Member

Yeah when I said "seem" I wonder how much of it is belief, but hell for 15 quid its a bigger Bang* per buck than a Ti frame or buying new forks.
    I recommend them to anyone!

*(where bang is smug feeling I've got an upgrade despite the fact that I cannot really tell if its better or not)

tinsy
    Free Member

Guess I will find out how well it does up soon enough…. gotta be a nicer solution than the ferkin great bolt I have now, with a weird nut mech hangar type thing on the end, from a Shimano integrated system I never knew I didnt need until they made it!!!! (and I wont need my molegrips out on the trail)

andylux
    Free Member

Will one of these for the rear fit into the dropouts for a frame which normally takes a QR back wheel??

Apologies for my ignorance. 😳

I have a Pro2 rear hub on my shova which has QR dropouts. If I changed the adapters in the hub to take a 10mm axle will this axle fit into a conventional QR drop out on the rear of my bike??

z1ppy

Andylux, i've not actually tried it, bit yes apparently a 10mm bolt thru axle(qr or bolted) will work fine with the 'normal' rear dropouts

andylux
    Free Member

Ta Very Much z1ppy.

firestarter
    Free Member

yeah it will ive a ten mil in mine

mttm
    Free Member

Andylux, be aware that the rear "adaptor" is actually a complete new axle – it's not at all like taking out a couple of front hub adaptors. Having said that it is very simple to do.

I've run one of these in the rear hub all winter. It's good and strong and does up nice and tight. It's also a cracking price although rather weighty compared to the DT Swiss (alloy) version. That's a quite acceptable trade off.

The quick release lever seems noticabley longer than the norm. Certainly, I've had no problems undoing it even after it's been cranked down heroically tight.

nixie

andylux,

It definitely works, I've a ProII running the RWS 10mm rear on my shova and its all good (been on for a few years now). The replacement axle and end caps for the proII aren't cheap though!

tinsy
    Free Member

The Superstar 10MM QR turned up, replaced the shitty bolt thing in my Saint rear hub, slotted straight in and did up prefectly…

Very happy…. That and the front brake adaptor was the last bits and meant I could go ride the new budget bike..

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Anyone tried the Superstar oversize QRs (a la DT swiss RWS)’ is closed to new replies.